Other than @tadpui

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Other than @tadpui

Post by WhiskeyJack »

What other youtube channels is everyone watching re: home Studio stuff? I saw someone in another thread smack talk that Beato guy (i had never heard of him really) and i am now completely done with Fricker, and [mention]Tadpui[/mention] channell is a staple, i am just wondering what other channels i might be missing out on.

not really looking for guitar only channels they seem to be a dime a dozen. more recording / mixing / home studio / johnny every man DIY stuff.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Re: Other than @tadpui

Post by Greg_L »

Man, good question. Besides Tad's channel, I don't watch any of them. I'm about to start spamming our site on the popular ones, but me personally I don't watch any of them. The only studio stuff I watch is pro level stuff. Like some guy will get the master tapes of a classic album and go through the mix. Even though I loathe Metallica, they have a lot of in-studio movies and videos. I'll watch stuff like that.

And I watch a lot of amp tech stuff, but that doesn't do us any good.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I watch Reapermania when it applies to my needs, White Sea Studio for the Snake Oil segments and JHS pedal just for the historic/development line of pedals.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Hehe thanks fellas. I know my channel is pretty dry and boring and that I can't edit video to save my life, but I sure do enjoy blabbering on about all of this stuff. And just like audio, it's something that I enjoy the challenge of, even though I'll never ever get it "right".

I typically watch Fricker, even today. I watch maybe 50% of Warren Huart's stuff as well, just because he's such a nice guy and I like his attitude. Plus, he's my direct inspiration and the main reason I even attempted to start a channel. I watch a little bit of White Sea Studio's stuff, and pretty much all of JHS Pedals' videos. Oh, and some of Samurai Guitarist's and rdavidr's videos too. rdavidr has been struggling to put out content lately, and he seems a little hamstrung by branded content when he does release videos any more. But I still like the guy a lot.

Other than that I watch tech channels like Linus, JayzTwoCents, BitWit, Paul's Hardware, Hardware Canucks, and a couple others that I stumble across occasionally.

And my non-tech guilty pleasures have been from rSlash, Peter McKinnon, Casey Nystat, and Jarvis Johnson.

Yeah...I watch too much YouTube for a full-grown adult.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Not sure if his channel fits because it's mostly guitar-oriented & not recording overall, but Pete Thorn does some pretty good demos...

EytschPi42 does some really in-depth gear reviews, although I can't stand much of him, & again, it's mostly guitar oriented stuff...In particular I was looking for clips/info on the new Mini JCM 800 & he did a 40 min video on that amp, going through pretty much everything you'd wanna know...He even did a comparison between the Mini 800 & a 2203...

Probably doesn't help much, but there's too much shit to wade through in order to find anything useful for me 99% of the time on YT...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I watch Fricker occasionally, he's doesn't do much that I'm interested in though.

I quite enjoy That Pedal Show, mainly cos it's lunchtime on a Friday when I'm working at home so I can have it on in the background. They cover a lot of theory stuff about why certain types of pedal or gain stages work together which I find interesting.

I actually quite like Rick Beato. Not all of his content, but he puts out a lot of stuff, some of it I find interesting.

I still occasionally watch the Andertons channel. The interviews with artists are normally interesting and sometimes it's nice to see a demonstration and explanation of a whole range like when Gibson released their new range.

I also quite like the JHS channel cos he's quite friendly but manages to make boring shit like the history of the TubeScreamer sound interesting.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I've not watched any religiously or to the point where I've seen *every* video on a channel, but I have returned to the following repeatedly (apologies if the post seems like a bunch of link spam; note, though, that I've taken the time to link directly to their videos, bypassing the stupid auto-play-intro-video most of them have on their main channel page; also - my list has lots of duplicates already listed up-thread):

That Pedal Show / JHS Pedals / Wampler Pedals channels from time to time, mostly to get ideas on how to think about using pedal combos to create new sounds.

Fricker from time to time as well, but for different reasons, sometimes to hear him rant, sometimes for ideas on "recording heavy X", where X is one of: guitar, drums, bass, vocals, ...

DIY Guitar Pedals, which, just like it's channel title says, is stuff about DIY-ing guitar pedals. (I refer to Wampler a little bit on this topic too.) And how could I miss Uncle Doug when talking about DIY stuff?

Beato certainly knows his stuff, but rambles too much, so I don't watch unless his video titles really catch my attention.

RecordingRevolution for recording and mixing. Years ago his stuff wasn't great, but I think he got in a nice groove 2-3 years ago of well-constructed videos with useful content. One of the best was a series of 6 videos where he went through the whole process of recording, then mixing, a tune. Since hitting that peak, though, it seems he's been recycling stuff.

Creative Sound Lab sometimes has a title or video screenshot that catches my attention, and he's sometimes got decently good (and often has uniquely, interestingly strange) ideas on recording techniques.

Ultimate Studios for drum recording. Sounds Like A Drum for tuning/tweaking so they sound better. Stephen Taylor, and sometimes Drumeo, for how to play the darn things. :) More rarely The 80/20 Drummer and rdavidr. As a side note, perhaps one of the best things I picked up from the 80/20 drummer was that he's name-dropped Ed Soph many times, and after watching videos of him teaching drum playing ( (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... soph+drums)), if I were to go to school to study drumming, I'd want to go to where he's teaching (or taught; wikipedia says he's retired).
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Oh, there's a couple of drum channels I watch too. I'm awful at drums so I can rarely just hear what people are doing if there playing more than basic beats.

There's one where a guy did a pretty amazing cover of Scentless Apprentice by Nirvana.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ah, I also watch TYT, Rachel Maddow, Redacted Tonight (sometimes), Uncle Doug, Al Jazeera English, PBS for Shields & Brooks , Techmoan, HainBach, Norman's and sometimes Gearmandude IF there's something interesting & cheap. ProAudioEXP was OK but he's just flogging DVDs now (though they are good - I bought one for my R16 & it was great). I also have subscribed to any/all youtube channels of you folk that I've stumbled acros..
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I get real frustrated with a lot of youtube music and gear videos because I feel like none of it applies to me. All the drum and guitar trends are rapidly moving farther and farther away from anything I'd be interested in seeing or hearing. I don't care about a 1 watt amp into a fucking load box. :facepalm:

Fail videos and Russian dashcam car crashes are still good though.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

A bunch mentioned here.

Also rdavidr is good.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I visit 8 bit guy occasionally - it's fun but irrelevant to what I need/do - same as Look Mum.
I did watch 5 Watt Wolrd for a couple of eps. but, in the end, it's part sales and part just watching a pair of stupid moustaches wiggling about.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:51 pm 5 Watt Wolrd
Weird i just watched one by that channel and it appeared as though he was reading off cue cards or a teleprompter. made it hard to watch. I now understand why some YouTube folks seem overly animated. most take it to obnoxious levels but normal animation is better than the sterile cue card type of delivery.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

What's up with all the quick cut editing that's all over every youtube channel? Is it a stylistic trend or are people just that unprepared and have to splice everything together just to make one sentence??
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:48 pm What's up with all the quick cut editing that's all over every youtube channel? Is it a stylistic trend or are people just that unprepared and have to splice everything together just to make one sentence??
I think is just part of the youtube thing. It is so common everywhere now i think it might just be part of the dna that makes up the fabric of being a youtuber. The ones that care will obviously do a better job for their own sake and to maybe stray from the herd perhaps.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

If any of y’all have played video games at one time or still do, videogamedunkey is great. I know it’s not music or recording related....
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:48 pm What's up with all the quick cut editing that's all over every youtube channel? Is it a stylistic trend or are people just that unprepared and have to splice everything together just to make one sentence??
It's because people can't talk or read in coherent sentences anymore - they're too busy in grade school, planning how to be a YOUTUBER!
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:34 pm he was reading off cue cards or a teleprompter.
He was & it is.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:34 am
It's because people can't talk or read in coherent sentences anymore - they're too busy in grade school, planning how to be a YOUTUBER!
It's a holdover from the earliest "vlogs" on the platform. There was an absolute 10 minute time cap on videos, so if you wanted to get everything in, you had to edit out all of the dead air.

Honestly, I really like the editing style. I don't want to hear your "umm"s and pauses!