New build for me...

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: New build for me...

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:35 am I do however need a new bass and I sold my last backup hollowbody for jump jive gigs a few months back. I need those...
If i might make a suggestion. In the late 90's early 00's I had an early 80's Fender Elite. and it was the best bass i think i ever owned and if i ever had the opportunity to own another or clone one i would. It was truly a workhorse. This would have been at the height of my gigging touring, bumming around band practice twice a day chapter of my life. it held up and stood the test of time. Sadly as most things in my life a family member took it upon himself to help himself to it and hock it for an undisclosed amount of cash in addition to my guitar amp. He doesn't know that i know. he told me all that stuff was being held hostage by one of his exes. A quick phone call to her a year or two later after seeing some pictures of band from the town he lived in quickly dispelled his fibs. infuriating, but I can't change history.

Gorgeous pewter finish. (that i abused like crazy lol) It was heavy as hell. The tonal variations i could get that thing to do was crazy. But most importantly it had that amazing P-Bass Look, feel and sound with the added punch of the extra elite series pick ups. I dare say i had all of fenders bass tones at my finger tips when ever i wanted them. Save for that woody earthy J-Bass tone. But i was not then and not now a finger picker anyways so i guess i didn't really need that J-Bass tone there even if i wanted it.

I would highly recommend you take a crack at one of these Mutt they are sexy and i think it's a one stop shop for a bass if you are looking for one. those precision tuners on the bridge were a god send for me. I wish the P-Bass i owned currently had that.

here are some photos of the one like i had

And more info here

becasue no one ever takes picture of bass players these are about the only two surviving images from those days. Same show sadly. Glad the girl i was dating at the time decided to show up to that gig.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Those are just Std Precision with an extra pup and an extra pot... I always preferred the Precision. The colour is cool though...:)
muttley

Post by muttley »

Thats why in the end I went one pup on the jnr, if I wanted a two pup I would have gone with a LP std...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:27 pm Those are just Std Precision with an extra pup and an extra pot... I always preferred the Precision. The colour is cool though...:)
Lol. "Just"
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:42 pm
muttley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 3:27 pm Those are just Std Precision with an extra pup and an extra pot... I always preferred the Precision. The colour is cool though...:)
Lol. "Just"
Seriously though, I have Jazz style I built a long while ago and that has the middle pup sound if I need it. Frankly to me those are the best bass out there... I want a Precision for the the grunt... I will quite possibly go with that colour though if I do the bass..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The basic P-Bass is the best bass ever.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

...also, didnt you get fed back in them days? I mean that bass prolly weighed more than you did dry...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:08 pm The basic P-Bass is the best bass ever.
I love em, but I prefer to gig the Jazz because it covers more ground with the exception of that grunt I am after...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 pm

I love em, but I prefer to gig the Jazz because it covers more ground with the exception of that grunt I am after...
I like the neck on a Jazz bass. I don't like the body....which is weird because I really like the offset look on guitars.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:10 pm
muttley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 pm

I like the neck on a Jazz bass. I don't like the body....which is weird because I really like the offset look on guitars.
I much prefer the look of the precision.. Feel wise I can get along with most things. I have vice like hands.. :redface:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 4:08 pm ...also, didnt you get fed back in them days? I mean that bass prolly weighed more than you did dry...
:lollers2: :lollers2: My diet consisted of beer and ciggies with an exercise regimen of skateboarding / warehousing all day and rocking all night. I wan't a specimen of good health. Still aren't. lol. but i am rounding out now lol.

I get you. I almost got the Jazz Bass when i bought that red P-Bass i have now. I just opted out casue i needed that P-Bass snarl. I couldn't get the J to snarl and clank. If i could though i would grab that elite again. I just loved that thing.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I vote for the P-bass, hands down...This is going on looks only though, I don't have a clue how they differ in sound, but if the P-bass is "meaner" sounding than the Jazz, that's another plus...

I'm sure whatever is decided, the Guru will make a fantastic instrument... :not worthy:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

If you don't make one, I will.
Haggard Musician :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have a Vantage bought new in 81 - solid but a bit toppy
vantage bass.jpg
I bought an thinline semi Emperador in about 87 - beautiful with flats
emperador bass.jpg
My wife bought me an acoustic electric 5 string which I rarely even look at then she gave me a Hofner knock off which is fun to play but the wiring is weird
bixbt bass.jpg
My 1st bass (1974 - stolen 83) was a copy of this so I have a nostalgic call towards EB
EB bass.jpeg
BUT I truly want one of these with the hardware - OR a Precision with the added hardware
jazz.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Fri May 11, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:05 pm If you don't make one, I will.
:lollers:

You are on... go for it. I know you have the skillz..
muttley

Post by muttley »

rayc wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm ............
emperador bass.jpg
That thing really floats my boat...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I had one of these in my early 90s psychobilly days.

Late 60s Epiphone Rivoli. Stolen from me in 1994. :mad3:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

muttley wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:44 pm
rayc wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm ............
emperador bass.jpg
That thing really floats my boat...
It's an amazing bass - played live it's one of those instruments that pounds out a sound that thumps the chest of those in the room when needed.& that was through an 80w solid state amp & 200w single cone Etone box. Through my Superbass it was dangerous.
I've been experimenting with ways to get the Carole Kay sound with it .
The downside is the unbalanced weight as expected - let go with the left hand and it dips very quickly.
It took off the rest for thumb players and left the rest for fingers players. I wanted to break up the symmetry a little - still have it & the screw etc. I saw one of these on ebay for AUS$100 a couple of years ago. I nearly bought it BUT the shipping from the otherside of the island was prohibitive.

Bummer about the Epi Greg, It's a lovely looking beast - the bridge cover is a little broader than on mine.
What is it about instrument theft? I've had two nicked and it's a bloody horrid feeling.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Bummer about the Epi Greg, It's a lovely looking beast - the bridge cover is a little broader than on mine.
What is it about instrument theft? I've had two nicked and it's a bloody horrid feeling.
I took the mute and bridge cover off and pinned the bridge so it'd be more durable for my kind of hyper-active music playing style. It was a great bass. I miss it. I had an old Rickenbacker solid state bass amp with it and together they sounded bad ass. Both stolen and gone forever.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Had a 70's Strat Hardtail and a 55/74 LP stolen back in 82 or so...
If you win the lottery Ray have a look at the Precision Elite. It is really really nice.....
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.