Lord of the Flies Day - New VHS song

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Re: Lord of the Flies Day - New VHS song

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm Yeah, I've yet to find a video editor I actually like.
Avidemux is unsupported.
Windows movie maker is weak and buggy
Movie Studio/vegas has pretty mediocre user interface and is kinda expensive.
Adobe products are universally terrible.
Reaper has never worked for video for me.

:(
"Windows movie maker is weak and buggy" - and the new non-bundled version is heaps less useful than the old version.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I used the free version of Sony Vegas to make my Marianas video and it worked quite well. I put the laptop under strain a bit with lots of layers, FX and fades, and it became a bit laggy in places but otherwise pretty good for home video making.
Haggard Musician :mad:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 am "Windows movie maker is weak and buggy" - and the new non-bundled version is heaps less useful than the old version.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure WMM peaked at version 2.6, and every version since then is somehow worse!
JohnnyAmato

Post by JohnnyAmato »

Hey Steve :)

Wow, cool and weird and good all at the same time. Kinda video game meets Queen meets Bowie meets, hell I dunno. I agree some of the sounds aren't "traditional", but the production is fantastic, super clean. The vocal sounds mixed absolutely perfect. I listened to mix 3, hopefully that was the latest version. But yea, totally original, great production, awesome work, sounds like you were going for a certain something and nailed it.

What chorus, if any, did you use on the bass, and what bass did you use on this?

What was your vocal chain? Doesn't sound like you have much reverb on it at all. What compressors did you use?
Pro Tools 12.7
Superior Drummer 2.0
Sound Forge Pro 10
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Thanks Johnny!

Lead bass doesn't have a chorus. It's a dry DI + 3 amps (from the same signal) mixed and EQd. (Downtuned Peavy foundation fretless through a Crate rock block, some kind of 6" crate monitor, and a peavy max 115)
Vox use the built-in Reaper compressors and reverb (Reaverb, Reacomp)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

So sorry i missed most of this. But really i came in for the video bit at the end and that was well worth it.

I think it was cool you did the two songs back to back and i really like the transition between them. It worked for you. Just another part of the VHS magic i think. sporadic and fun. and the two do feel vastly different.

I never really know how to crit your tunes man. One thing i often notice is your vocals jump up and ut of your mixes at me in places. not all the time. Choruses and stuff. not sure if that is intentional and part of the VHS magic. But it is noticeable.

Thanks for the VHS. I enjoyed.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Thanks, WJ. The vocals aren't really supposed to jump out randomly, but I am a very lazy editor.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

This is pretty cool. Ill be honest, my first listen I was kind of thrown because this is way different than whats usually posted here but then I watched the video and was impressed. I dig it, creative sounding music and well performed. If you ever want a drummer for something hit me up!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Thanks Liv!

This album will need consistency of drum tone, so I'll have to finish it up first, but yeah, I may talk to you about a collab this summer sometime!
paulman

Post by paulman »

I like this. It's got a really cool sound to it, indistinct fuzz and all. Very cool!

I've done a few videos like this, where it shows me tracking all the instruments. I haven't done any costumes yet. I use Premiere, which is pretty much the most unintuitive thing ever.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Thanks, Paul!

I tend to record in batches, so I figured I should change outfits a few times.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:22 pm Thanks, Paul!

I tend to record in batches, so I figured I should change outfits a few times.
And yet not one wardrobe malfunction. What a let down. :dislike:
:happytrees:
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

gud choon m8
Good Choon Brav.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:37 pm And yet not one wardrobe malfunction. What a let down. :dislike:
Towards the end of the album, there are a few where I forgot to do the top button on the onsie, so you can see some scandalous chest hair!

Thanks, Yak!