Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Thought so.. I have already orderd up a 500k push push and I was going with a .22... All good.
.22 is too big. Make sure it's .022. That little "0" makes a big difference.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Thought so.. I have already orderd up a 500k push push and I was going with a .22... All good.
.22 is too big. Make sure it's .022. That little "0" makes a big difference.
:lollers: ........... :like:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I don't know why the push-push coil split pot isn't more prevalent. It was a feature on the Yamaha SG series and I have them on both my home-built guitars.It is an absolute doddle to switch on the fly - tap on, tap off and you can do it in a split second. I've never had a problem with accidentally knocking it on or off, either. The functionality for playing live blows push-pull pots out of the water.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It might just be people being used to it. I could have had anything I wanted on my guitar and I specified push-pull just 'cos that was what I knew - I didn't even think about push-push.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:52 am
I don't know why the push-push coil split pot isn't more prevalent. It was a feature on the Yamaha SG series and I have them on both my home-built guitars.It is an absolute doddle to switch on the fly - tap on, tap off and you can do it in a split second. I've never had a problem with accidentally knocking it on or off, either. The functionality for playing live blows push-pull pots out of the water.
The only reason I can think of is that they are not available in as wide a range as pull pots and some people dont like the taper on them. As far as I know CTS dont do them and a lot of people will only use them. It doesn't bother me because I rarely use the vol or tone on the fly...
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Same here, Mutt - volume and tone are always fully up for me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I get what Bubba's saying about push/push being easier. It's basically instant on and off with a tap of your thumb. But I've seen countless more sprung push/push pots than I have faulty push/pull pots. They're just not as durable as a more basic push/pull.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't have any problem with push-pull being quick and easy and I use it all the time, even on the fly while tracking.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't have a problem with push/pull either because I never ever use them.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:55 am I get what Bubba's saying about push/push being easier. It's basically instant on and off with a tap of your thumb. But I've seen countless more sprung push/push pots than I have faulty push/pull pots. They're just not as durable as a more basic push/pull.
I broke one once because I tried to pull a very tight control knob off it when it was in the down position. Easily done by most numpties, including me. It can and does happen and it wouldn't happen with a push-pull. I have now learned not to do this, but it cost me a potentiometer. :biggrin:
muttley

Post by muttley »

I used to gig with a guy that was constantly pulling the fucking knob off his push pull pot. I even offered to fix it for free for him on the spot but he wouldnt have it. He was a twat.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

When i was looking at options for sprucing up that sparrow of mine i saw the pick up covers that had switches in them that seymour duncan makes. probably a terribly inconvenient place to have a switch for most. But also another more pricey option.

Because we all want those pricey options right?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:19 pm When i was looking at options for sprucing up that sparrow of mine i saw the pick up covers that had switches in them that seymour duncan makes. probably a terribly inconvenient place to have a switch for most. But also another more pricey option.

Because we all want those pricey options right?
The tripleshot. Neat idea that doesn't seem practical to me at all. I've never tied one though.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I don't feel that it is practical either. At all. I wanted push push or push pull switches but given all those knobs will be under my forearm it won't work. if i want to split up the pick ups i think the only option i personally have is those things.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

I hate them... expensive, temperamental and also break easier than pull pots.. Also this guitar has no pup surround, they are mounted on the scratchplate.
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm I don't feel that it is practical either. At all. I wanted push push or push pull switches but given all those knobs will be under my forearm it won't work. if i want to split up the pick ups i think the only option i personally have is those things.
You would probably be better off installing a standard mini dpdt switch? What guitar?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm I don't feel that it is practical either. At all. I wanted push push or push pull switches but given all those knobs will be under my forearm it won't work. if i want to split up the pick ups i think the only option i personally have is those things.
Oh yeah, for you they might be good. Or you can do a left handed guitar strung rightie.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am I used to gig with a guy that was constantly pulling the fucking knob off his push pull pot. I even offered to fix it for free for him on the spot but he wouldnt have it. He was a twat.
I had that once, in a different situation when I was a young fellow plying my trade as a joiner. My next door neighbour's daughter had a front door that was sticking so he asked me if I'd go down and sort it out. So I turned up on the doorstep with my little bag of tools and saw immediately that the door had been eased many times, in fact there was a largish gap towards the bottom.

The previous "tradesmen" hadn't gone right down to the bottom of the door when easing it and as a result the last inch of it was flared out like a bell-bottomed trouser - this lump is what was sticking. The daughter looked really, really put out that her dad had got me to turn up unannounced and started protesting that she didn't want any more taking off the door because "the wind blows a gale through the gap anyway". No matter how much I assured her that my two minutes' work paring the knob of wood away would improve the draught problem because she could actually shut the door, she dug her heels in and started having a domestic with her father. I even offered to do it for nothing! She wouldn't budge.

Result was I started losing my rag and the job didn't get done. There are some situations you just can't win against seemingly rational human beings.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Stacks of videos and pics to catch up on but she's done for now.....

I have the guts built so that the pups swap out and are on solderless connectors so I can drop any pup in this thing in under 10 minutes....

Here she is already for a gig this weekend... Now what pup to use on its first trip out..???

lpjuniorfin1.jpg

I have left the Headstock as a blank for now as Bubba contacted me the other day to say he still has it in mind to do me a Mutt*Pup branding Iron and it will be tried out right in the middle of this.... :like:

It can stay like that for now though... Looks OK..

lpjuniorfin2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:25 pm Stacks of videos and pics to catch up on but she's done for now.....
Nice work man.