Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
muttley

Re: Les Paul Jnr Build :Templates and Body Blank

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:06 pm I am going to reserve my commentary on Strats. Take from that what you may.
The Fender Stratocaster is the most popular guitar in the world, you goddamned heathen contrarians! :mad2:
Trump is the most popular politician in the USA but I aint gonna get me some... :mad3:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Trump is the most popular politician in the USA but I aint gonna get me some... :mad3:
No he isn't. Not even close.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 pm
muttley wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:20 pm

No he isn't. Not even close.
^^^^^^^^^^^^Fake news ^^^^^^^^^

He is. He said so. Must be true.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:50 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^Fake news ^^^^^^^^^

He is. He said so. Must be true.
I really don't know. You're more in touch with him than I am. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

The only strat player that I'm particularly keen on was Buddy Holly and when he was running The Crickets as a quartet he had an LP player in the crew.
I don't think hBuddy's style of playing would've translated quite as well on an LP and his spanky twang would've been ice-pick territory on a tele. Oh, I've only just noticed that in the quartet version of the band Buddy used a capo for That'll Be The Day - even brighter. That said - I'm really impressed with this project Mutt: from the actual work to the soundtrack.
Cheers
rayc
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I love strats though I play a Les mostly (at the moment). Richie Blackmore always had great tone on the Deep Purple and early Rainbow albums (until he just started making noise rather craft an actual solo). Hendrix always had killer tone. And a ton of Zepplin stuff was done with a Tele (especially the early albums). Mutt, I'll be contacting you soon for some humbuckers and a strat set as well. And perhaps some P90's as I'm dying to have a guitar with P90's.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:04 pm Mutt, I'll be contacting you soon for some humbuckers and a strat set as well. And perhaps some P90's as I'm dying to have a guitar with P90's.
Whenever is good for you. I'm placing an order for some pup stuff in the next week so if you want to let me know roughly what it might be I'll add it.. May get us ahead of the game. Same goes for anyone else who wants pups. I'm getting more and more requests these days so its getting harder to keep enough stuff in the workshop to hand and harder still to second guess you guys.
muttley

Post by muttley »

And just to clarify, I dont dislike strats they just dont suit much of the stuff I do. There are plenty of decent strat players out there and plenty of good music made with them.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Guys please excuse my ignorance, but say I have a p'up that's "F" spaced, I know it'd work if I threw it into a Gibson guitar, but would there be anything lost/gained tone-wise by doing this???

The Seymour Duncan P-Rail p'ups were what I'd originally thought about because they have all 3 sounds in a single p'up, single coil, P90 & humbucker...Would it be worth having all 3 options in a single p'up, or would I be better off just using a P90???

And, since Sir Muttley would be the one doing the heavy lifting, how hard would it be for you to make a p'up like that???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

F-spaced is for "Fender". The pole pieces might be a little too wide for a Gibson.

I have a P-Rails. It's P90 mode is pretty good, the rails mode is meh, the humbucker mode is crap.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

What gerg said. F space is just a descriptor for the pole spacing. Dont get hung up too much on it but it is more important on a fender pup with the magnets in the poles. Some peoiple are anal about that stuff..Even then Fender dont supply pups with poles spacing's to go under the strings anyway.. Thats a custom order from some one like me..;)

It is next to impossible to get a one size fits all pup. Most often they fail. Its best to aim for a pup that does what you want then if you manage to get a decent secondary coil tap or split then so much the better.

And why isnt this in the MuttPup board...;)
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

muttley wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:46 pm What gerg said. F space is just a descriptor for the pole spacing. Dont get hung up too much on it but it is more important on a fender pup with the magnets in the poles. Some peoiple are anal about that stuff..Even then Fender dont supply pups with poles spacing's to go under the strings anyway.. Thats a custom order from some one like me..;)

It is next to impossible to get a one size fits all pup. Most often they fail. Its best to aim for a pup that does what you want then if you manage to get a decent secondary coil tap or split then so much the better.
Ok dude, I'd always thought it wouldn't make much difference, but you guys confirmed the spacing question...

I remember having this conversation before about the P-Rails with Greg, so I'd probably be better off having the full-blown version instead of the ability for switching...

muttley wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:46 pmAnd why isnt this in the MuttPup board...;)
You know, that did cross my mind when I was typing my last post dude...Sorry... :minernuggs:
I'll ask my inevitable next questions to the Mutt House... :biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
muttley

Post by muttley »

No worries. It just helps me if questions are sort of in the right place and saves time tracking down info later. No biggie..;)

What full blown version do you mean?

Best way to approach it is to decide what you main tone is going to be. Humbucker, p90, rail, whatever, then if you can work in an unintended consequence such as a coil tap, split or a humcancelling dummy coil so much the better. Always go for your main tone first.. Focus on that.

Bubba and JD recently got buckers that I tried to wind in a fuller better single coil split. By all accounts its worked out well but the primary goal was a bucker that worked for what they wanted.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Gerg,

I'm about to get the wiring organised on this. I'm going to put in 1V 1T with push push for a coil split option on the vol pot. Quick question, In your experience what value pots work best with the p90's I sent you and what caps are you using. I want to try and stay close to what you guys are using so I can match up the tone clips and variations.

Normally I would go 500k a and b...?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 am Gerg,

I'm about to get the wiring organised on this. I'm going to put in 1V 1T with push push for a coil split option on the vol pot. Quick question, In your experience what value pots work best with the p90's I sent you and what caps are you using. I want to try and stay close to what you guys are using so I can match up the tone clips and variations.

500k audio taper pots for both. .022 cap. If you plan on using the tone control a lot, a .047 cap or linear pot might be better. I like audio pots though. The sweep is more compact. You get more action between 10 and 5, not so much after 5.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I think i read in the specs of my LP junior i have 300K Volume pots????
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Yea. this. AM I understanding that correctly?

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:28 pm I think i read in the specs of my LP junior i have 300K Volume pots????
Yup, some LP and Jrs have 300k pots. 300k is the more traditional old school Gibson value for humbuckers and P90s, but 500k sounds better. More punch and clarity. A little brighter, but not in a bad way.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 pm Yea. this. AM I understanding that correctly?

As a basic rule, the higher in value you go the less top end you suck out of the tone. 250k is perfectly acceptable in a strat which is inherantly bright and some people like them with other single coil pups.. on a bucker I prefer at least 500k. I like 500k on pretty much all my pups TBH..
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:12 pm
muttley wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:46 am Gerg,

500k audio taper pots for both. .022 cap. If you plan on using the tone control a lot, a .047 cap or linear pot might be better. I like audio pots though. The sweep is more compact. You get more action between 10 and 5, not so much after 5.
Thought so.. I have already orderd up a 500k push push and I was going with a .22... All good.