Bass.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Bass.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Of all the make overs i have seen on youtube this was by far the most entertaining to watch. Usually i just put vids like this on the back ground while i am working but this was a nail biter.

That pick up tho. :like:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7JogAh3DI[/BBvideo]
:happytrees:
Minerman

Re: Bass.

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm Of all the make overs i have seen on youtube this was by far the most entertaining to watch. Usually i just put vids like this on the back ground while i am working but this was a nail biter.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7JogAh3DI[/BBvideo]
Pretty cool Shan...To me, a Fender ain't a Fender without a maple fretboard, so a darker/different color would've looked better to me...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm That pick up tho.
I WTFd at that...I had to stop the video to count the pole pieces...yep, 6, just like I thought.

Minerman wrote: ↑Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:43 pm Pretty cool Shan...To me, a Fender ain't a Fender without a maple fretboard, so a darker/different color would've looked better to me...
I'm conflicted...I'm was really glad he didn't go through w/the gunmetal grey body. I do agree, though, that darker would be better...or he could have just put on a black tele-bass pickguard.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm
Needs a mutt pup.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

At first when i started watching things unfold and the pick up choice i was sort of like, why am i even watching this shit. But then i sort of admired his creativity by the end of it. He did what he wanted and had an instrument he seemed to be quite happy with. I mean, i would never use automotive body filler for any kind of wood work repair or anything, but i think it just shows that anything can be a playable instrument if you work hard enough at it.

Also this forum's bass presence is non existent. I should just be the bass guy. Stay tuned for a bass tone thread ahahaha.
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm .......... I mean, i would never use automotive body filler for any kind of wood work repair or anything, but i think it just shows that anything can be a playable instrument if you work hard enough at it.

Why not? I use it all the time under paint finishes. It's hard, quick, sands well, doesnt shrink and takes a good finish. Thats about all you need. Its widely used in the industry as well..
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: ↑Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:20 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm .......... I mean, i would never use automotive body filler for any kind of wood work repair or anything, but i think it just shows that anything can be a playable instrument if you work hard enough at it.

Why not? I use it all the time under paint finishes. It's hard, quick, sands well, doesnt shrink and takes a good finish. Thats about all you need. Its widely used in the industry as well..
I should have worded that differently... "I would never have thought to use automotive filler....."

For the reasons you have listed it makes total sense. and what he was doing with what he was doing it to made even more sense. I am sure there might be actual "purist" alternatives with "correct wood working techniques" or something but that would work more time consuming and frustrating, but the thought of using something like that would never have crossed my mind.

Does it adhere well to the wood? In my mind i picture air bubbles getting trapped in where the compound meets the wood grain and the it just kind of cracks as time goes on with moisture and other atmospheric conditions affect it and a the lump of stuff just falls out?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Its a pretty standard practice on wood under paint finishes in all cabinet trades. To fill or plug with wood is more complicated and only really worth it if you are going to see it.. It sticks just fine and is used as a grain filler on many instruments. No air bubbles, no risk of it falling out. Depending on what the repair is like I go with either P90 car body filler or epoxy. Body filler sands better and is designed to go under the kind of paint you shoot on a guitar finish. If it's a really deep fix I will mesh it and build it up in layers.

There was an old thread at HR where I took an old squier that had been pretty much broken in two. I put it back together with glue and body filler as a giggle and it was fine. You'd never know it was part wood part body filler once the base coat was on.. It was in a way worse condition than that bass and ended up looking way better..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah I've heard of using auto body filler to fill dings and grail fill. I've never done it myself to a guitar, but I have used tons of body filler before on cars. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a guitar.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 pm Yeah I've heard of using auto body filler to fill dings and grail fill. I've never done it myself to a guitar, but I have used tons of body filler before on cars. I don't see why it wouldn't work on a guitar.
The real best of it is that it is stable and doesnt shrink. The stuff was designed that way and also to go under paint finishes and not worry about wet or excessive high or low heat. Its better than most epoxy in that respect. Epoxy is fine but it is more expensive, slower and doesnt sand or paint quite as well. A lot of proprietry grain fillers and wood fillers are just versions of car body filler in anycase.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Is he actually enthusiastic or is he all game show?
Cheers
rayc
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm ...this forum's bass presence is non existent...
Because the bass is so low, it doesn't naturally have much ... presence!

* * * * * * :drums: * * * * * *
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think that bass looked quite cool. Weird choice of pickup.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm ...this forum's bass presence is non existent...
Because the bass is so low, it doesn't naturally have much ... presence!

* * * * * * :drums: * * * * * *