Entertain Ourselves To Death

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Entertain Ourselves To Death

Post by JD01 »

This is much more straighforward that the last one - this is about Sky TV.
Entertain Ourselves To Death.mp3
Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Re: Entertain Ourselves To Death

Post by Bubba »

That's a good, solid mix. Decent performances and really good guitar sounds. I think where the 16s come in on the hi-hat, a slightly more opened hat sample would work better, but otherwise there's not much to pick fault with. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:50 am That's a good, solid mix. Decent performances and really good guitar sounds. I think where the 16s come in on the hi-hat, a slightly more opened hat sample would work better, but otherwise there's not much to pick fault with. :)
Cheers mate, I'll tweak about with it this week.
I made some changes to my rhythm sound for this one and I am happy with it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The guitar sound in this one is better than the one I just commented on. The comments I made for the other one totally apply to this one too though. It's basically the same mix with the same issues to my ears. The fast hi hats sound kind of superfluous - like you programmed them in just cuz you could. And I don't think you know this, but you ripped off a little of a DK song here. Don't sweat it though because you certainly could have done worse. :D
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 pm The guitar sound in this one is better than the one I just commented on. The comments I made for the other one totally apply to this one too though. It's basically the same mix with the same issues to my ears. The fast hi hats sound kind of superfluous - like you programmed them in just cuz you could. And I don't think you know this, but you ripped off a little of a DK song here. Don't sweat it though because you certainly could have done worse. :D
Cheers, the guitar sound on this is the latest stuff I put in the Tone Thead - i5 instead of 57 as my main mic.
I had no idea it was a DK song, which one? I'll look it up.
I think this one is a better vocal performance and the doubling is reduced.

Been really enjoying my bass playing lately.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's just a little piece of a DK song. I can hear it in my head but I can't think of what it is right now. I think "Ill in the Head".
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 pm The guitar sound in this one is better than the one I just commented on. The comments I made for the other one totally apply to this one too though. It's basically the same mix with the same issues to my ears. The fast hi hats sound kind of superfluous - like you programmed them in just cuz you could. And I don't think you know this, but you ripped off a little of a DK song here. Don't sweat it though because you certainly could have done worse. :D
Try this when you have a minute - just spent a few minutes switching out kick samples - it was immediately obvious what you were getting at.
Last edited by JD01 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:31 pm
Try this when you have a minute - just spent a few minutes switching out kick samples - it was immediately obvious what you were getting at.

Entertain Ourselves To Death Mix 2.mp3
I think that's better but it's a mono mix. Let me try to guess though....24" plastic beater?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mono. Cock. I always do that.
Weirdly I didn't freak when I heard the mix so it can't be too bad to have sounded ok in mono.

I think you're right. I'll check in a minute
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:58 pm Mono. Cock. I always do that.
Weirdly I didn't freak when I heard the mix so it can't be too bad to have sounded ok in mono.

I think you're right. I'll check in a minute
No it's not a very good mono mix. That should tell you something. Not that it really matters, but it does reveal some stuff.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here's the actual version of Mix 2 :spacepalm:
Just been flicking between Stereo and Mono - the hard panned guitars disappear completely in mono.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD01 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:43 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:31 pm

I think that's better but it's a mono mix. Let me try to guess though....24" plastic beater?
18x22" plastic beater! Good ears.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

This is sounding pretty good.

Vocals definitely have a better tone and better dynamics with the occasional harmony. Something in them clicks at 1:05 on "dying" tho.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:11 pm This is sounding pretty good.

Vocals definitely have a better tone and better dynamics with the occasional harmony. Something in them clicks at 1:05 on "dying" tho.
Cheers Steve. Now I've swapped the kick sample I think I've got the music here as good as I can get it. I just need to work on my vocal processing as you said on the other thread. I think this is the best vocal performance I've managed from a tuning point of view though. Although I have lost a lot of power in the process.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm Here's the actual version of Mix 2 :spacepalm:

Just been flicking between Stereo and Mono - the hard panned guitars disappear completely in mono.
Not too bad. I think now you need to maybe back off the humanizing velocities. On a kick I think it's okay for the hits to be pretty consistent all the time on a mix like this. Let the kick drive. You don't have to vary it so much.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:44 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm Here's the actual version of Mix 2 :spacepalm:

Not too bad. I think now you need to maybe back off the humanizing velocities. On a kick I think it's okay for the hits to be pretty consistent all the time on a mix like this. Let the kick drive. You don't have to vary it so much.
Cheers, Greg. I’m going to replicate what I’ve done with this on my system at home over the weekend and I’ll look at tightening up the drums a bit more too. I generally just tap away on my thighs and tap the floor and ask myself what feel like the harder and softer hits.

I want to spend some time on the vocal processing too.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Sorry it took me some time to get to this.
The forum has been busy & I've been reading & reading &...
A little DK but, as Greg said, that's an excellent source.
Everything sounds pretty cool to me.
Good agit lyrics.
Vocals are a real step forward mate. You'll get the power back once you used to singing this way.
Ace.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, Ray
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 am agit
? Bit stumped by this
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I like this song. You have a way with hooks. I find myself singing the tag to "Take What's Free" every now and then and I can see that happening with this as well.

My only suggestion would be to try putting the harmony on the entire chorus Add it to "Entertain our-" and "Lie to ourselves" - I like it on the second half of the phrases of the pre-chorus, I just think it would set the chorus apart. This is more of an arrangement thing I know, and just a suggestion of course.

Also the singing is much better in the chorus than the verses. I know it's a little bit lower in your register for the verses, but I hear more confidence and attitude in the chorus. An exercise you might try is singing the melody of the verse on "ha." Just replace all words with "ha" and sing it. You should feel you abdomen bouncing when you do this. These are the most important muscles for singing. (if I am talking down to you on this please forgive me, not trying to be condescending just helpful.) This might help add to the rhythmic power of your singing and help it stand up better to your guitar riffs which are spot on.