Headphone amps

General recording topics.
Bill L

Headphone amps

Post by Bill L »

I'm getting ready to start tracking with my band so I'll need to upgrade my headphone amp. I currently have the ability for 4 sets of headphones but they all will have the same mix. So what I'm looking for is a headphone distribution with as many inputs as outputs (preferably 4 or 6 inputs/outputs). I see there are a couple but I have no idea what's what. I've found this https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HeadAmp6Pro and this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HA8000V2 that would do it. Just wondering if there are any others to look at. I think I'm leaning towards the Behringer as the price point is more in line with what I'd like to spend but the ART is not out of the question, though with fewer inputs/outputs. Any input would be much appreciated.
liv_rong

Re: Headphone amps

Post by liv_rong »

I know nothing about this stuff but if I needed something I’d go the cheap route.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have the Behringer 4 output version. It's quite good.
Behri 4
It's reasonably rugged though plastic. Not as solid as the 8 and it's 1/2 rack size with no ears.
Sound quality is good and it's pretty flexible in terms of routing etc.
I have a few Behringer items - some are rubbish, some are good and some are ruggedly built too.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I use a basic cheap headphone amp that is basically just a 4-way splitter.

I don't know how to send different mixes to different people through a headphone amp, so I can't help ya, but if you figure it out let me know.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 am I use a basic cheap headphone amp that is basically just a 4-way splitter.

I don't know how to send different mixes to different people through a headphone amp, so I can't help ya, but if you figure it out let me know.
Ha! This is me.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:09 am I have the Behringer 4 output version. It's quite good.
Behri 4
It's reasonably rugged though plastic. Not as solid as the 8 and it's 1/2 rack size with no ears.
Sound quality is good and it's pretty flexible in terms of routing etc.
I have a few Behringer items - some are rubbish, some are good and some are ruggedly built too.
Pretty much what I'm looking for. I think I'm going to go with the bigger one. Thanks for the reply.
Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:42 am I use a basic cheap headphone amp that is basically just a 4-way splitter.

I'm using my Behringer mixer, X18 R Air, that I use for live sound work as the audio interface and that has 6 outputs that I normally uses as monitor mixes that I can set up for independent headphone mixes so that should work out well.

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:27 am I know nothing about this stuff but if I needed something I’d go the cheap route.
And now you know a little more. :like: The only reason I'm leaning towards getting the Behringer is because it's got more inputs and is less expensive than the ART one I posted. I certainly don't want to spend a lot money. The other alternative is to just get a couple similar to what Greg uses (I have an ART 4 output headphone amp now) but then I'd have to keep track of a bunch of small pieces. I'd rather have it so it's in a rack space.

Thanks again guys. I hope to get some stuff up soon. I have my band coming over in a couple of hours for a writing/learning session. Starting next week we should be recording. You'll get to hear what's up.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I just pulled the trigger on the Behringer HA8000 V2. I let you guys know how I make out with it. Thanks again for everyone's input.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Received my Behringer Powerplay yesterday. Gave it a quick trial and everything seems to be ok. Hoping to try it out next week. My drummer is at NAMM and won't be around for this week's session. I'll let y'all know how it goes.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Look forward to it.
Cheers
rayc