Room Treatment Guidance Document

DIY Studio Stuff
JD01

Room Treatment Guidance Document

Post by JD01 »

Does anyone know of a good online guidance doc of how to put a room together?
Ideal sizes? Location of treatment etc. Angles of walls and things?

I just don't know the questions to ask so if anyone could point me in the direction of a document to get started that would be helpful.
rayc

Re: Room Treatment Guidance Document

Post by rayc »

Check out Ethan Whiners Real Traps pages - excellent stuff but expensive to transport BUT he spends heaps of energy helping and explaining what & how anyway.
Here
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, Ray - that's a bit of information overload for reading at work, I'll have to take a few days to go through all that. I'm in no hurry with this though.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The realtraps site is great. So is GIK acoustics website
Lots of good videos and reading materials there.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The realtraps site is great. So is GIK acoustics website
Lots of good videos and reading materials there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The biggest payoff you will get is simply building some nice bass traps for the corners. Sure there are many other gadgets to help a room become a mixing utopia, but simple bass traps are usually the first step and yield the biggest returns.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

GIK is good & the bloke from there used to prowl HR and help folk.
Greg's, (gulp), correct: bass traps come directly after going into the room. You can place them and deal with that issue without even putting your monitors in before hand.
That series of vids onUtub where they turn up & "pimp" your home studio for you go to location, then 1st refection but that's because the can sell squillions of acoustic panels but few folk spend or make Bass Traps.
Last edited by rayc on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Well at the moment, my "studio" is just the living room with a sofa in it and we use my monitors for watching TV. Its not a room where I'll be able to put up bass traps - 'cos the sofa is one corner, the door is in the other corner and my "desk" (TV area with monitors next to it) isn't even in the centre of the opposite wall.

Me and Wifey were talking about my possibly setting up a more permanent studio in the attic. At the moment there's not even floor boards up there and the roof is just roofing felt below the tiles. So I'd have a good option here to set up a real ideal recording and mixing environment which I could use for the foreseeable future. Don't think I'll be able to insulate it well enough for drums though.

There's not even any rooms up there so its a pretty big space. I'm cable of putting up lined walls up there, laying floorboards, insulation, a ceiling and more insulation.

This just came out of a conversation we were having over Christmas when I was talking about some minor acoustic treatment for the living room which would probably a) not be that effective and b) would probably look shit. She can then get her log burner in the living room and the chimney runs through the attic so it would probably be nice and warm up there :)

As I said, I'm not starting on this next week or anything, but I want to start reading some background to get a better idea of what I am after so i can make a plan.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 am Well at the moment, my "studio" is just the living room with a sofa in it and we use my monitors for watching TV. Its not a room where I'll be able to put up bass traps - 'cos the sofa is one corner, the door is in the other corner and my "desk" (TV area with monitors next to it) isn't even in the centre of the opposite wall.

Me and Wifey were talking about my possibly setting up a more permanent studio in the attic. At the moment there's not even floor boards up there and the roof is just roofing felt below the tiles. So I'd have a good option here to set up a real ideal recording and mixing environment which I could use for the foreseeable future. Don't think I'll be able to insulate it well enough for drums though.

There's not even any rooms up there so its a pretty big space. I'm cable of putting up lined walls up there, laying floorboards, insulation, a ceiling and more insulation.

This just came out of a conversation we were having over Christmas when I was talking about some minor acoustic treatment for the living room which would probably a) not be that effective and b) would probably look shit. She can then get her log burner in the living room and the chimney runs through the attic so it would probably be nice and warm up there :)

As I said, I'm not starting on this next week or anything, but I want to start reading some background to get a better idea of what I am after so i can make a plan.
You might already be aware of this, but having a room in an attic isn't just a simple matter of boarding out the floor space. If you intend to work in there, then there are reams of regulations regarding access, minimum joist depth, materials, insulation, fire regs.... it's one of the most heavily-regulated property improvements you can undertake.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 am You might already be aware of this, but having a room in an attic isn't just a simple matter of boarding out the floor space. If you intend to work in there, then there are reams of regulations regarding access, minimum joist depth, materials, insulation, fire regs.... it's one of the most heavily-regulated property improvements you can undertake.
Yeah - I know about that. I'm only just starting to plan it since we've worked out where we're going to place the stairs. As we plan it I just want to try and integrate acoustic considerations into it too.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I avoid the need for room treatment by not recording
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:15 am I avoid the need for room treatment by not recording
Yeah - I was thinking of avoiding the need for air by stopping breathing too.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 am Well at the moment, my "studio" is just the living room with a sofa in it
Honestly, that's probably a good start? What is a sofa but a bass trap you can sit on? :D

Also, I just said "bass trap" out loud for the first time ever and realized that mentally I've been pronouncing it like the fish for years.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:25 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 am Well at the moment, my "studio" is just the living room with a sofa in it
Honestly, that's probably a good start? What is a sofa but a bass trap you can sit on? :D

Also, I just said "bass trap" out loud for the first time ever and realized that mentally I've been pronouncing it like the fish for years.
Bass Trap Instructions:

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Goddamn that's some good fishing.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I've decided that I'm finally going to fix a cloud above the drum kit. The eaves of the roof cut into the ceiling of my recording room on one wall, forming a kind of "chamfer" about 2' wide and 12' long. I'm going to put a 4' x 1' 6" panel on it above the kit. I'll let you know if there's any beneficial effect. :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 am I've decided that I'm finally going to fix a cloud above the drum kit. The eaves of the roof cut into the ceiling of my recording room on one wall, forming a kind of "chamfer" about 2' wide and 12' long. I'm going to put a 4' x 1' 6" panel on it above the kit. I'll let you know if there's any beneficial effect. :)
Goddammit, what is that in metric so JD can follow along? :nyuk:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:39 am
Bubba wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:16 am I've decided that I'm finally going to fix a cloud above the drum kit. The eaves of the roof cut into the ceiling of my recording room on one wall, forming a kind of "chamfer" about 2' wide and 12' long. I'm going to put a 4' x 1' 6" panel on it above the kit. I'll let you know if there's any beneficial effect. :)
haha, I think it was when I started talking about a the possibility of a cloud in the living room that she realised the attic might be a better space.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

LOL. 600mm, 3.6m, 1200mm and 450mm. :lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:53 am

LOL. 600mm, 3.6m, 1200mm and 450mm. :lollers2:
That's better, welcome to the early 19th Century grandad!