NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:03 pm
Minerman wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:38 pm

The 2x12 you've been asking about the 8/16 ohm thing???
Yes!

Went with the closed back Orange 2x12.
Orange makes really nice cabs IMO, congrats man!!! :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I nearly got a custom job from a builder inn reverb but decided this route instead. I wanted the black one but they didn’t have it in stock and GAS is real so I got the Orange one.

You know I made a thread at TGP about the other one and mentioned that I thought my 1x12 sounded a little boxy at higher gains and someone suggested getting another 1x12 and run two lol. Like I really want two boxy sounding 1x12’s.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am I nearly got a custom job from a builder inn reverb but decided this route instead. I wanted the black one but they didn’t have it in stock and GAS is real so I got the Orange one.

You know I made a thread at TGP about the other one and mentioned that I thought my 1x12 sounded a little boxy at higher gains and someone suggested getting another 1x12 and run two lol. Like I really want two boxy sounding 1x12’s.
:facepalm:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:09 am
liv_rong wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:00 am I nearly got a custom job from a builder inn reverb but decided this route instead. I wanted the black one but they didn’t have it in stock and GAS is real so I got the Orange one.

Lol....

I gotta say Liv, I had a PPC112, & it was boxy as fuck...I hadn't been using real amps very long, so I threw a bunch of shit into my Jeep & drove to the closest Guitar Center, which was about an 3 hour drive, one way...After a 6 hour drive, I hooked it up to my beastly Marshall DSL-1H, ready for some killer tones from the V30 and...I fuckin' hated it...lol...I'm just not a big V30 fan...Don't get me wrong, V30's are great speakers, but you've gotta pummel 'em with volume to get 'em there...

Your cab should sound pretty good since it's a 2x12, & you'll be using your little Mesa monster...Don't forget you've gotta allow time to break the speakers in dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

I always thought your Blackstar with 1x12 Orange cab sounded much better than my Blackstar Combo though and they both had the same speaker.
JD01

Re: NEW GEAR!!

Post by JD01 »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:17 pm Cool, Bob.

My shopping list is long and depressingly expensive.
New Bass, about 300 quid
Pair of monitors, around 250 quid
New humbucker, 70 quid
2x12 cab, 200 quid
V30, 70 quid
Strat parts, 50-100 quid
Telecaster, 500 quid.

Bugger.
OK, liv reviving this thread got me to look over my shopping list from when we started the forum.

I don't have telecaster yet - but I got a PRS instead and I don't have any strat parts yet - although I'm not that bothered about it... I've run out of things to spend money on!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:59 am
Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:09 am

Lol....

I gotta say Liv, I had a PPC112, & it was boxy as fuck...I hadn't been using real amps very long, so I threw a bunch of shit into my Jeep & drove to the closest Guitar Center, which was about an 3 hour drive, one way...After a 6 hour drive, I hooked it up to my beastly Marshall DSL-1H, ready for some killer tones from the V30 and...I fuckin' hated it...lol...I'm just not a big V30 fan...Don't get me wrong, V30's are great speakers, but you've gotta pummel 'em with volume to get 'em there...

Your cab should sound pretty good since it's a 2x12, & you'll be using your little Mesa monster...Don't forget you've gotta allow time to break the speakers in dude...
I remember you telling me you had that cab and didn’t like it. I’m banking on this one being an improvement, crossing my fingers. For the break in I should crank my amp and run a loop for a few hours lol.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

There is something about Orange cabs. They smear their own tone fingerprint all over the sound coming out of it. I personally think it's that damn Pier 1 Imports wicker grill cloth. Sometimes they sound great for certain things, sometimes they sound dark and muffled. I don't think it's the Vintage 30s because V30s sound awesome in other cabs. I think it's the whole wheat woven grille.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Well I doubt this will be boxy at all, it’s much deeper than the 1x12. I haven’t got to try it yet, I’ll let it rip tomorrow. Then after that I’ll see if I can rewire it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:04 am There is something about Orange cabs. They smear their own tone fingerprint all over the sound coming out of it. I personally think it's that damn Pier 1 Imports wicker grill cloth. Sometimes they sound great for certain things, sometimes they sound dark and muffled. I don't think it's the Vintage 30s because V30s sound awesome in other cabs. I think it's the whole wheat woven grille.
I know what you mean. 100% The only word i can use to think of to describ and Orange cab is just thick. And i STILL hear a smattering of boxy tone on the PPC412 in my set up currently. But thick is the word i am looking for. I have seen some guys using Orange Amps with Marshall Cabs and they don't seen to have "that" sound. I've often wanted to just rent a Marshall Cab just to see the difference for myself. I cant be certain with out googling first but i am positive i read somewhere once before that Orange cabs have more wood than other cabs? thicker plywood on the back? 18mm versus 15mm? don't quote me on that. I really can't be certain but they definitely do have their own thing going on.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 pm Well I doubt this will be boxy at all, it’s much deeper than the 1x12. I haven’t got to try it yet, I’ll let it rip tomorrow. Then after that I’ll see if I can rewire it.
It will be improved. the PPC112 is rubbish.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 pm I know what you mean. 100% The only word i can use to think of to describ and Orange cab is just thick. And i STILL hear a smattering of boxy tone on the PPC412 in my set up currently. But thick is the word i am looking for. I have seen some guys using Orange Amps with Marshall Cabs and they don't seen to have "that" sound. I've often wanted to just rent a Marshall Cab just to see the difference for myself. I cant be certain with out googling first but i am positive i read somewhere once before that Orange cabs have more wood than other cabs? thicker plywood on the back? 18mm versus 15mm? don't quote me on that. I really can't be certain but they definitely do have their own thing going on.
And Marshall cabs have a much thinner more breathable grille cloth. Well, they do since the 60s. The early cabs had a thicker weave, but you aint gonna get your hands on one of them.

If I were an Orange user, I'd definitely use it with a Marshall cab. They do sound great together.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:10 pm Well I doubt this will be boxy at all, it’s much deeper than the 1x12. I haven’t got to try it yet, I’ll let it rip tomorrow. Then after that I’ll see if I can rewire it.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 pmIt will be improved. the PPC112 is rubbish.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:40 pm I know what you mean. 100% The only word i can use to think of to describ and Orange cab is just thick. And i STILL hear a smattering of boxy tone on the PPC412 in my set up currently. But thick is the word i am looking for. I have seen some guys using Orange Amps with Marshall Cabs and they don't seen to have "that" sound. I've often wanted to just rent a Marshall Cab just to see the difference for myself. I cant be certain with out googling first but i am positive i read somewhere once before that Orange cabs have more wood than other cabs? thicker plywood on the back? 18mm versus 15mm? don't quote me on that. I really can't be certain but they definitely do have their own thing going on.
Greg_L wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:31 amAnd Marshall cabs have a much thinner more breathable grille cloth. Well, they do since the 60s. The early cabs had a thicker weave, but you aint gonna get your hands on one of them.

If I were an Orange user, I'd definitely use it with a Marshall cab. They do sound great together.
+1 to everything said here, I noticed the PPC112's grill cloth was super thick, IIRC, I even mentioned it killed the high end I was after the few times I used it...The PPC112 I had a was very small & very boxy sounding cab, the 2x12 should kick ass, comparing it to Jdod's recent cab...

I may re-write my "list" since the ISO cab build has turned out way better than I expected...I'd planned on an attenuator next, then probably a 50w EL34 based amp, but since the 15w amp I have currently works really well with the new cab, I may splurge for another low-ish watt amp, like the 20w Ceriatone 2202...I've got a couple things that are supposed to happen beginning around the first week or so of November, so I may be able to swing something like that then...Have to wait & see, but it may be possible...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:06 am I may splurge for another low-ish watt amp, like the 20w Ceriatone 2202...
Do it.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Haven’t had the opportunity to let it rip yet, but this is some low volume noodling cell phone audio.

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm Haven’t had the opportunity to let it rip yet, but this is some low volume noodling cell phone audio.

I think that sounds pretty decent liv. Understanding that is is cell phone audio i am not really picking up any boxyness. I think you have your sound dipped in enough verb and delay that even if there was a hint of orange box tone you those effects will eat it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

20171014_105404.jpg
So I had a bit of a WTF moment when I saw the fretboard - I hadn't seen the guitar - while I hadn't ordered it, it was already on its way to the shop and I'd put a holding deposit on it.

It's ebony, BTW. The guys at the shop hadn't seen it either and I think they were a little alarmed so they gave me another $100 off without my asking, from what was already a hugely discounted price. Fine by me.

Then I read up on what's happening with ebony and watched the Bob Taylor video.

I'm out all day today - I may post some toans tomorrow night perhaps and do a proper thread on it with decent pics so Greg can avoid it completely... :lollers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Armistice wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:07 pm 20171014_105404.jpg

So I had a bit of a WTF moment when I saw the fretboard - I hadn't seen the guitar - while I hadn't ordered it, it was already on its way to the shop and I'd put a holding deposit on it.

It's ebony, BTW. The guys at the shop hadn't seen it either and I think they were a little alarmed so they gave me another $100 off without my asking, from what was already a hugely discounted price. Fine by me.

Then I read up on what's happening with ebony and watched the Bob Taylor video.

I'm out all day today - I may post some toans tomorrow night perhaps and do a proper thread on it with decent pics so Greg can avoid it completely... :lollers:
PS. I have removed the sticker!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Cool!!!!

Weird wood grain pattern going on there. Curious to know what the deal is with that.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Liv: Cool man, I'm an fx junkie too dude, but only I use 'em in the daw most of the time...I'm about 99% sure your new 2x12 ain't gonna be boxy like a 1x12 dude, the size of the cab probably makes such a big difference...Don't forget to pummel those speakers to get 'em loosened up... :biggrin: Congrats dude!!!

Armistice: Congrats dude!!! I gotta say that's a weird looking fretboard, but if it makes ya happy, then that's all that matters...I prefer a maple fretboard on either a strat or a tele myself, just personal preference though...I think if/when I ever buy another guitar, it's gonna be a tele...I had a '94 USA Tele Plus II that was awesome, but I snorted it up during my druggie days, & have always wanted it back...Post up some tones when you can dude!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH