Two Different takes on HSB

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
ido1957

Re: Two Different takes on HSB

Post by ido1957 »

Acoustic first - Yep - that 10 ms nudge seemed to do what I expected. The vocal phrases are beginning and ending with the guitar strums, i.e. tighter and more in sync. Better balance between the two main players and the tones are similar enough to glue the two together. :like:
Around :58 there's a drop in the guitar - I'd probably patch that with a same-ish section from somewhere else. The solo is well designed both notes/playing/reverb. And, it adds a nice touch without feeking too loud or out of place - when the solo ends it transitions back to the main 2 people without a drop in volume or sense of something "less" - good.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Electric version - everything is blending good. Great performances guys and girls. :)
Volume is lower than the previous rock version so I'll assume less on the master or something.
I found that this one had something dragging. Can't put my finger on what exactly but I was always anticipating something (hard to explain) Didn't notice it on previous so perhaps the vocal nudge was excessive in this particular arrangement. Not 100% sure. And the acoustic version - if it is lined up the same - doesn't give me that feeling. Weird... The term I would use is the "push". Very very slightly ahead of the beat, not noticeable to the listener but gives it a sense of whatever - I think that's what I'm trying to explain.
Well on a positive note I was thinking to myself how your mixes are at a point where I'm looking at things like pitch and stuff because the mix is already "there". :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ray,

Couldn't spot any wallies with the acoustic version.

Elec version sounds fine to me now too - I'd have the drums forward little more - that's just me though - they just sound a bit far back to me.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So the shortened acoustic version is 58 seconds of the old mix and then a similar amount of the new mix?
Yeah, the latter half of the recording sounds much more in sync.
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 pm So the shortened acoustic version is 58 seconds of the old mix and then a similar amount of the new mix?
Yeah, the latter half of the recording sounds much more in sync.
"...much more in sync." but not IN synch?
Yes, in one of the versions there're two synchs of the vocals to demonstrate the problem encountered with uploads to folk collaborating.
The 1st half was according to Ido and how he heard the timing from the combination of an MP3 backing and wav vocal.
The 2nd half is me compensating by slidie guesswork.
I had a similar problem with Armistice's tracks as I'd sent him an MP3 backing and he provided wav tracks that also didn't drop in.
I'll attempt experiments with 2 MP3 then 2 wav tracks before another collab.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I didn't notice any sync issues on the new version. If you're still hearing them, then presumably you'll want to address them tho.
rayc

Post by rayc »

New Mix in OP.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ray - I'm assuming that the latest mix is the one at the bottom of the post:
Oh, the vocal sounds likes its pushing slightly on this version - listen at 29s "everytime you laugh" The "ev" comes in slightly before the beat, you can spot it in the chorus too.

"every errant thought" the "ev" is ahead again.

Doesn't appear to be all the time though so it might just be Trudy's timing wandering a bit. Have a listen again to those bits carefully.

Aside from the the timing I think the mix sounds great.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Hey Ray - yeah, sounds like the vocal is slightly early on the latest. It's obvious in the spots mentioned by JD, but not as obvious everywhere. I went back to the last acoustic version just to make sure, and it is good, so just a bit of alignment needed.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:54 am Oh, the vocal sounds likes its pushing slightly on this version - l
James & Gerry,
Thanks.
the timing thing is odd. I decided to pull the guitar tracks out & then reinsert them in case the timing issue was an aberration. Seems it was & wasn't. Not as bad as the original but not right.
Well, that answers a few Qs in my head & the timing should be easier to fix now.
My main concern is whether the guitars and rhythm section sound tight?
Armi was concerned about them not quite fitting - hence the pull & drop.
Thanks for the detail James & Gerry.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

The bottom link in the OP is the latest and takes into account James & Gerry's observations.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ray - on the very first line she's dragging now!

There's a few other little points too, but the very first line is the most obvious.

I think you're going to have a zoom right in on Reaper and move individual lines fractionally!
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:11 am Ray - on the very first line she's dragging now!
There's a few other little points too, but the very first line is the most obvious.
I think you're going to have a zoom right in on Reaper and move individual lines fractionally!
Thanks James,
I'm lazy - I had hoped it worked for all but yeah, I'll go back in tomorrow & do it phrase by phrase.
Oh, do you mean the rock or acoustic version?
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I just downloaded the last file at the bottom of your original post - rock version, that's the only one I listened to.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:19 am I just downloaded the last file at the bottom of your original post - rock version, that's the only one I listened to.
Thanka sai.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:19 am I just downloaded the last file at the bottom of your original post - rock version, that's the only one I listened to.
Thanka sai.
Long days and pleasant nights.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

To my ears, the last rock version (HSB280917voxtwkGD.mp3) is lined up. What I look for (in this arrangement) is the sync between the last word of a line and the kick/crash, and it's right on the money. "In your little book" is a wee bit out of sync, but that's her delivery, not an alignment issue. And you will notice the first word of certain lines varies on it's timing BUT doesn't sound out of sync, just her style if you will. Sometimes she rushes, sometimes she drags. Personally I don't mind that, it's cool in my book. You might fiddle with the "book" line but other than that, it sounds good. :like:
I'm at work right now so all I have to listen on is my headset, so can't judge the mix properly here. :facepalm:
rayc

Post by rayc »

ido1957 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:21 am To my ears, the last rock version (HSB280917voxtwkGD.mp3) is lined up. What I look for (in this arrangement) is the sync between the last word of a line and the kick/crash, and it's right on the money. "In your little book" is a wee bit out of sync, but that's her delivery, not an alignment issue. And you will notice the first word of certain lines varies on it's timing BUT doesn't sound out of sync, just her style if you will. Sometimes she rushes, sometimes she drags. Personally I don't mind that, it's cool in my book. You might fiddle with the "book" line but other than that, it sounds good. :like:
I'm at work right now so all I have to listen on is my headset, so can't judge the mix properly here. :facepalm:
Thanks for the detail again James. Crikey, it was a long, long time ago that I read those books. I fear the movie - haven't been able to bring m'self to watch it. I've seen too many bad Stephen King films to be confident.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I love them books. I think they fucked the film up. Not seen it yet,
rayc

Post by rayc »

I wanted to make the rhythm section a little more different when compared to the original version of the song.
To attempt to achieve this I dragged out my ancient Emperador Semi Acoustic bass which has Fender flats on it.
I've recorded a new bass track and used a different bass line.
I opted for middle position to get the best from bridge & neck pickups.
Ran it into a comp pedal then the BDI21 - this time I actually used the XLR set up at the back to connect to my interface.
There was some tuning trouble - the position is a little high after about the 8th fret - comes from sitting in a case tuned and unused for 8 years I suppose. That was when i put the strings on it I think.
Huge semi acoustic bass, flat wound strings, fingers rather than pick no EQing on the BDI21 or in the box.
emperador bass.jpg
HSBrock121017gdB.mp3
How does the bass sound?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc