RESONATOR ACTION PROBLEM

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
rayc

Re: RESONATOR ACTION PROBLEM

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:18 am it's really not hard so if you need to we can walk you thru it
Thanks.
I'll do a local search then come back with a result or request for guidance.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

Start by making sure that the neck under tension has a little relief. around half a mm is about right. Then you need to lower the action at the nut. A nut is effectively a fret so you want to aim to get it as close the height of the first fret as possible. There are a few tricks to doing that I can point to you if you want. The intonation using harmonics and open strings can then be tested. The fretted intonation will almost certainly be out and you correct that by lowering the action to where you want it and carefully adjusting the saddle contact point and adjusting the relief so it doesnt buzz or choke. It's very rare to get it spoot on but you can normally get as close as makes no odds..
Roman

Post by Roman »

I generally don't like to do the nut height until after the bridge height is close to right. Do the nut first, and then lower the bridge, and you'll end up with a lower nut height. It's a very slight lowering but a chance I don't want to take.
rayc

Post by rayc »

muttley wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:53 pm Start by making sure that the neck under tension has a little relief. around half a mm is about right. Then you need to lower the action at the nut. A nut is effectively a fret so you want to aim to get it as close the height of the first fret as possible. There are a few tricks to doing that I can point to you if you want. The intonation using harmonics and open strings can then be tested. The fretted intonation will almost certainly be out and you correct that by lowering the action to where you want it and carefully adjusting the saddle contact point and adjusting the relief so it doesnt buzz or choke. It's very rare to get it spoot on but you can normally get as close as makes no odds..
Thanks Mutt,
I'll look into these things towards the end of the week as the local luthier has retired and doesn't want to come out of it to do this job and there's no guitar tech for 30 km south and 40 north.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

I'm doing an action set and nut alignment similar to yours this week some time.. I'll try and take some pictures and put em up. The principle is the same on all guitars so it should give you a start on where to go with it..
rayc

Post by rayc »

muttley wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 pm I'm doing an action set and nut alignment similar to yours this week some time.. I'll try and take some pictures and put em up. The principle is the same on all guitars so it should give you a start on where to go with it..
Muttley,
That would be truly wonderful.
Cheers in anticipation.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

I had a call from the guitar shop yesterday to say it was ready so I went in to collect my reso today.
I had to go by bus - a two and a half hour round trip - as the reso & case are way to heavy & cumbersome for a motorcycle.
I arrived, they pulled it out - said it was drop tuned to D (?) I played a couple of gentle D shaped chords but put it back in the case to listen to the work done & problems overcome etc., (some stripped thread screws found when they took of the cover).
I waited for & jumped on the bus back home, arrived but had things to do and eventually pulled the thing out for a play - action feels really good, looks good start playing - gentle D shapes and then lean I a little to strum and RATTLE, rattle, rattle - not buzz but rattle. Tap on the top - rattle, tap on the reso metal cover - rattle, play some licks on the A & D strings - rattle. I shook the thing - as it sounded like a screw rolling about in the cone but there was no loose item rattle or clunk when shaken. I'm furious - $97+ bucks and it's arguable worse than when it went in.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Damn, that's lame.

Shit like that is why I try to fix everything myself.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

What can you do about it ray? You complain and stuff?
rayc

Post by rayc »

James, I rang & emailed and they are committed to repairing it & making it good BUT it's a bus journey/3 hr round trip. That's what I went through to collect it & will have to do twice to delivery & collect again. I'll wait until I need to go south for other reasons to get max value from the trip.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

what kind of bike?
I used to carry a guitar and sax and an amp on my GPZ750
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:33 pm what kind of bike?
I used to carry a guitar and sax and an amp on my GPZ750
I used to carry a bass on mine in the late 70s but it's just a 250....
leaving BPS.jpg
Maybe I could get one of those surfboard hangers they use on bicycles?
For a whole lot of reasons I'd love to get a bike with sidecar. they don't seem to be around much these days - trikes have taken over and I'm not impressed by them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

corr! could limbo under those strings in the pics !

i`d call em,hopefully you can get there when the tech is around,or at least give you the guys number so you can make arrangements with him (if he`s not in-house) the "hard bit" is done,sounds like a screw or 2 needs nipping up .. he could do that while you hit the cafe ...