New Guitar Day

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Armistice

New Guitar Day

Post by Armistice »

The first official "New Guitar Day" thread of TRR.
LesPaul.PNG
After all that internet searching and dealing with idiots and service-deficient organisations over the past week, I actually found the finish I'd already decided I wanted in a shop I'd not thought to look in because it's on the north side of the city and I just never go to the north side of the city. Who knew that they even had guitar shops up there?

Had I not got the email about the 20 years service bonus I might have gone the import route and saved about 10% but that was going to take months, so what the hey, and here we are.

I rang the dealer up this morning as they had stock Gibson pictures on the website and the tops on these things vary widely, as I've noticed on the Anderton's site, asked them to email me some real pictures, they did - and it's exactly the sort of finish I was after - and I skived off from work for an hour and a half, and came back with a new guitar.

And the staff at the store were good too. "Nice" musos, as opposed to "I'm cool" musos.

It's probably not quite as yellow as it appears in the photo - some sunlight came in as I took the snap. Now I'm going to weigh it to see if I've actually bought a lighter guitar than the one I've got, and then, ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to plug it into something.

See ya... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Re: New Guitar Day

Post by Bubba »

Very nice, mate! :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:34 amVery nice, mate! :)
Cheers. It weights 4.1kg, against 5kg for the old one. Feels more like a guitar and less like a lead weight.

I posted a pic on the LP Owners FB group, and in about 5 minutes a guy who used to live in my building who's also in that group is asking if he can buy my strap buttons, if I was going to put straplocks on.

Sheesh... I've had home for an hour and I'm being asked to sell bits of it. :lol: Anyway, I'm not putting straplocks on, I'll just get a strap for it with correctly sized holes.

And rule #1 is never dispose of your original parts, I thought. :o
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I'd be disappointed in it weighing less, to be honest. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck yeah! Looks great. I really like that case too. Congrats!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Looks really nice, mate
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm actually about to go out guitar shopping myself. Won't be buying today but I'll be getting close to making a decision. Want to try a few teles and a plain PRS soapbar without any birds on it.
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Yeah, that's a nice guitar! What finish is that?
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Excellent looking guitar Armistice - you scored a beauty for sure. Congrats!
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

oooooooh!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That is absoluetly beautiful, cobber.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Really nice, man! I love the top on that thing, really beautiful.

I like that they've gone to a red plush interior on the cases. Mine is from the hot pink era. It looks like something out of a brothel.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

That's a sweet looking finish...a little different than the more common LP stuff.

I hate to ask what it set you back.....
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:28 am I'd be disappointed in it weighing less, to be honest. :D
LOL - it's recording, when I'm sitting down, where the weight bothers me - it doesn't bother me at all when I'm slinging around my shoulders - I feel like it's always about to slam forward into the desk. New one seems more "balanced" - haven't worked out if they sound all that much different yet. :o
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 am Fuck yeah! Looks great. I really like that case too. Congrats!
Cheers - yes, I like the red plush lining better than the pink too..

Do we have a multi quote thing somewhere?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 am I'm actually about to go out guitar shopping myself. Won't be buying today but I'll be getting close to making a decision. Want to try a few teles and a plain PRS soapbar without any birds on it.
Hope you get better service than I did! Having had that shit experience, and then found a really good shop with nice people in it, I now know where to get general stuff from as well, especially online. This stuff matters. :lol:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

jonny deep wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am Yeah, that's a nice guitar! What finish is that?
Thanks. It's "bourbon burst" - one of the 4 2017 Standard finishes. It looks way better in real life too - basically the dark bit around the edge is quite narrow, an inch at most and lightly and has an almost "dark cherry" tinge to it, whilst the main body section is a little bit darker than a standard tobacco sunburst. Obviously a decent maple top helps as well.

It does look very nice. Shiny! :mrgreen:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

ido1957 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:28 am Excellent looking guitar Armistice - you scored a beauty for sure. Congrats!
Thanks ido - it is nice. Plays pretty well too. After reading all the horror stories about new Gibson finishes and out-of-the-box set ups, this one seems pretty good - no rough edges I've found yet on the finishes and the set up seems fine - it hasn't been touched by the store. They would have done it for me but honestly it doesn't need it - instead I got a free set up voucher - I'll take it back in a few months once it settles in a bit.

It has 10s on it and I tend to go for 11s on Gibsons, but we'll see how I feel after a bit of playtime - I can do 11s when I take it back if I want.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:11 amoooooooh!
LOL - no salivating near the new guitar Lt... :mrgreen:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:36 am That is absoluetly beautiful, cobber.
Thanks maaaaate. drums :D