No Choice with Frank Harris.

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

No Choice with Frank Harris.

Post by JD01 »

Frank, the scion of Chateau Po has been drumming. He's good too.
02 - No Choice FH2 Mix 1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Re: No Choice with Frank Harris.

Post by rayc »

James, real drums make an incredible difference to your stuff. Frank's even more so.
I reckon you need to work on the no gentle reggae section vocals though.
Francois, Chateau Peau
or
Francois le suivant en ligne de la maison Po?
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 pm James, real drums make an incredible difference to your stuff. Frank's even more so.
I reckon you need to work on the no gentle reggae section vocals though.
Francois, Chateau Peau
or
Francois le suivant en ligne de la maison Po?
Cheers, ray. Which verse? Just the mellow first one or all 3?
rayc

Post by rayc »

The mellow 1st one James. It's fine but I reckon you could do a little better.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:57 am The mellow 1st one James. It's fine but I reckon you could do a little better.
Yeah. You're right :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol When did you add the Boys of Summer intro? :coolstorybro:

The real drums sound good, and young Frank is a great drummer and even in his young years he's already way better than me overall, but the punk rock drummer in me is not satisfied with the drum take on this track. He drummed it the "lazy" way IMO. :frown:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 am Lol When did you add the Boys of Summer intro? :coolstorybro:
You really should listen to it, JD. It's exactly the same, or at least....too close.

Drumming is solid. A little too raw sounding. Snare sounds a little dead. Something about this version seems to lack energy compared to how I remember it. It's as if it's being held back somehow, Maybe something as simple as the guitars just need to come up. Also, can barely hear a kik drum. I hear it during the louder parts but it could generally kik more.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

LOL, I just realised that it is pretty similar, haha, oh well. I guess it will stay for now - see if it irritates me over the next week, now that it's been pointed out. That's a drawback of learning to record with your own songs, you end up getting bored and tinkering with them. I do think this one needed an intro though.

Greg, you always say that you're a rubbish drummer, but 180bpm 8th notes isn't something any of other drummers on the forum can do - so even if you're a one trick pony, its a pretty clever fucking trick! I struggle to do it in downstrokes on the guitar - I re-did the guitars for this and for my remixed version with MIDI drums back to back, both guitars, so that's 4 takes one after the other - my wanking hand was knackered after that.

Rami - the drum files I've got from Bubba are great, any problem with the sound of them is down to my mixing!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:10 pm Rami - the drum files I've got from Bubba are great, any problem with the sound of them is down to my mixing!
Ah ok. I didn't know who did what. Now I understand what you meant by "Chateau Po". :like:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 am Lol When did you add the Boys of Summer intro? :coolstorybro:

The real drums sound good, and young Frank is a great drummer and even in his young years he's already way better than me overall, but the punk rock drummer in me is not satisfied with the drum take on this track. He drummed it the "lazy" way IMO. :frown:
Funny thing is, Frank tells me he was hitting 8ths on this track but using the Moeller technique, which leaves the 2nd and 4th notes significantly quieter than the 1st and 3rd. In hindsight I ought to have miked the hi-hat separately and compressed it a bit to bring out the other notes. Kids today, they always have to find an easier way to do stuff! In my day, punk drummers played 8ths until they seized up into agonising cramps and fell off the drum stool.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Funny thing is, Frank tells me he was hitting 8ths on this track but using the Moeller technique, which leaves the 2nd and 4th notes significantly quieter than the 1st and 3rd. In hindsight I ought to have miked the hi-hat separately and compressed it a bit to bring out the other notes. Kids today, they always have to find an easier way to do stuff! In my day, punk drummers played 8ths until they seized up into agonising cramps and fell off the drum stool.
They also tended to take heroin... so you win some, you lose some.

Souds excellent anyway. I'm gonna re-do the lead riff on this next weekend as the recording of it is months older than every other part of the song then I'll call this one done.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Lol. Moeller Shmoeller. Your boy's getting too fancy. Tell him to just hit the fucking drums on songs like this. :coolstorybro: :nyuk: :drums:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The first thing that sticks out to me is the vocal tone.

The quiet/low parts are a little dark, and you've got a ton of FX on the loud/high parts. You really like that effect, but it's a weird choice to use as a primary chain, especially for the genre.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 am The first thing that sticks out to me is the vocal tone.

The quiet/low parts are a little dark, and you've got a ton of FX on the loud/high parts. You really like that effect, but it's a weird choice to use as a primary chain, especially for the genre.
I actually don't have many effects on, just a tiny bit of delay and reverb. The distortion is something to do with my preamp sim although I don't know what yet. All of this song is sung into the same chain on the same day in the same room. There's just a bit less verb on the chorus and a bit more delay.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 am The first thing that sticks out to me is the vocal tone.

I actually don't have many effects on, just a tiny bit of delay and reverb. The distortion is something to do with my preamp sim although I don't know what yet. All of this song is sung into the same chain on the same day in the same room. There's just a bit less verb on the chorus and a bit more delay.
The fan effect is from your preamp? Weird...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:57 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:11 am

The fan effect is from your preamp? Weird...
I'm plugged into my AI (TonePort UX2) and I'm running a preamp sim, set to "90s Alternative Vocal" preset but with the gain turned down. Then I just have a bit of 'verb, delay and compression added in the DAW.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Yeah the drums sound very good. Rami said the snare sounded a little dead. I kind of agree with that. Maybe a bit of a high end boost (5K - 7K) might brighten it up?

I like the tone on that guitar riff. That was cool.

I thought the bass was a little sterile. It was like it belonged in a techo/synth song. Maybe too much of a low end boost or too much of a mid cut (like in the 500hz range).

The vocal delivery in the first verse was lacking a little energy. Like you were just trying to get through it, but not really "delivering" it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:18 pm"90s Alternative Vocal"
Any idea what all that does?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:38 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:18 pm"90s Alternative Vocal"
Any idea what all that does?
No idea - its just a preamp sim, with various bits on it.
Actually - i've just googled and image
I don't have all the stompbox effects on it though.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Jesus H Christ. You have to ditch that shit right now. Use processing when it needs it, for the effect you want to achieve, not this clusterfuck. You have no Idea what the fuck is going on with your signal, there.
Haggard Musician :mad: