monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Minerman

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by Minerman »

Just a heads up for the guys participating in the Drum Challenge this month, today's the deadline... :minernuggs:

I'm doing some last minute practicing/smoothing out, but I'll post my track later this evening...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Ok dudes, here's what I came up with for this month's challenge...My playing is pretty sloppy, but I didn't edit any of the midi afterward, what you hear is what I banged out on the e-kit...

I know there are some obvious things I need to work on like playing in time :facepalm: , but any suggestions are more than welcome...Please remember to explain this to me like you would a 4 year old kid...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Ok dudes, here's what I came up with for this month's challenge...My playing is pretty sloppy, but I didn't edit any of the midi afterward, what you hear is what I banged out on the e-kit...

I know there are some obvious things I need to work on like playing in time :facepalm: , but any suggestions are more than welcome...Please remember to explain this to me like you would a 4 year old kid...
Pretty solid miner. Not too bad at all. :coolstorybro:

I don't have much to suggest. It's pretty appropriate to me. Anything more would be drum wankery that I'm just not fond of anyway. I think you could keep working on going in and coming out of your fills. More fluidity. You kind of come up on a fill, stop, do the fill, stop, and then start drumming again. Besides throwing you off a little, it just sounds choppy. But overall you did great.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:48 pm

I don't have much to suggest. It's pretty appropriate to me. Anything more would be drum wankery that I'm just not fond of anyway. I think you could keep working on going in and coming out of your fills. More fluidity. You kind of come up on a fill, stop, do the fill, stop, and then start drumming again. Besides throwing you off a little, it just sounds choppy. But overall you did great.
Thanks dude, I had this song all planned out playing-wise, but threw some different things in at the last minute...You can tell because of the sloppiness...

Going to/from a fill is a weak spot for me, so I definitely need some practice there...Not sure what I'm doing wrong or could do different, but as long as I'm bangin' on the hi-hat/ride, everything sounds fine, but when I go into a fill, to me, it just sounds empty & dead...

I personally felt this song needs the choppy beat thing, (I'm not up to speed on drum terminology & probably never will be... :lollers: FWIW I also refer this kinda drum beat as a "stutterstep") but it's something I need to practice on...This is why I mentioned the song a couple days ago being a challenge to stay in time with for me...

I think it'd be great if we had more people participating, but I understand not everybody has all day everyday like I do...I'd love to hear what actual drummers (like *cough cough* you & Rami.. *cough cough*) might've done differently than I would...Maybe on the next go-round some of you guys will participate...

Thanks again dude... :minernuggs:

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, whaddya think of the drum sounds on this???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:09 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks dude, I had this song all planned out playing-wise, but threw some different things in at the last minute...You can tell because of the sloppiness...

Going to/from a fill is a weak spot for me, so I definitely need some practice there...Not sure what I'm doing wrong or could do different, but as long as I'm bangin' on the hi-hat/ride, everything sounds fine, but when I go into a fill, to me, it just sounds empty & dead...

I personally felt this song needs the choppy beat thing, (I'm not up to speed on drum terminology & probably never will be... :lollers: FWIW I also refer this kinda drum beat as a "stutterstep") but it's something I need to practice on...This is why I mentioned the song a couple days ago being a challenge to stay in time with for me...

I think it'd be great if we had more people participating, but I understand not everybody has all day everyday like I do...I'd love to hear what actual drummers (like *cough cough* you & Rami.. *cough cough*) might've done differently than I would...Maybe on the next go-round some of you guys will participate...

Thanks again dude... :minernuggs:

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, whaddya think of the drum sounds on this???
I thought the drum sounds were okay. It seems very isolated to me, which I suppose is par for the course with an e-kit. No room sound gluing it all together. But the pieces seemed fine. I liked the low tom particularly.

I probably wouldn't have drummed it much differently. You did fine. Maybe I'd do some double-kicking in the middle to go with the guitars. I don't know. This slow drop-tuned metal stuff isn't my thing.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Shit! I thought this was due next week! I'll bang this out tomorrow, I have the next two days off. I'll give yours a listen tomorrow as well. Sorry!
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:21 pm I thought the drum sounds were okay. It seems very isolated to me, which I suppose is par for the course with an e-kit. No room sound gluing it all together. But the pieces seemed fine. I liked the low tom particularly.

I probably wouldn't have drummed it much differently. You did fine. Maybe I'd do some double-kicking in the middle to go with the guitars. I don't know. This slow drop-tuned metal stuff isn't my thing.
Thanks again man, I tried some new drum vst sound on this, & the toms were part of what I changed...It's a mis-mash of different drum vst's, Superior, Slate & BFD3...

I could've ran the track Liv posted through one of the reverbs I use for my drums, but without the ability to change the levels of the individual instruments (like the bass, I usually don't put near as much 'verb on bass as I would a guitar), it might've sounded funny...

liv_rong wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:47 pm Shit! I thought this was due next week! I'll bang this out tomorrow, I have the next two days off. I'll give yours a listen tomorrow as well. Sorry!
No biggie brother, don't even worry about it... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Damn, Minerman, that's sounds good! There is a couple parts where you and I took the same approach, cool! Nice solid playing dude! Sounds were good, better than what mine will sound like haha. AS far as your fills, yeah like Gerg said, more fluid movement would be better, however your execution on the actual fill sounds good. How long have you been playing for?
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Here is mine, plenty of little flubs, especially during the second part of the second verse and at the end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 am Damn, Minerman, that's sounds good! There is a couple parts where you and I took the same approach, cool! Nice solid playing dude! Sounds were good, better than what mine will sound like haha. AS far as your fills, yeah like Gerg said, more fluid movement would be better, however your execution on the actual fill sounds good. How long have you been playing for?
Thanks Liv, you version sounds much more cohesive than mine, obviously, thanks for uploading the drums only version, I can use it to work on some fills dude...

The chorus part we did pretty similar, & I actually played it different the last day or so using a ride bell in that part instead of the ride edge, so if I hadn't changed that, we'd played it almost identical...I even tried to put some extra kicks in that part, but again, I need to practice on it...

I bought my DTX400 about 2 1/2 years ago but basically stuck it in the closet until January of this year, so I've actually been seriously playing about 6 months...

The ghost notes on the snare add a lot to your playing dude, that's something I've gotta learn to do...
Right now if I even attempt 'em, the whole show stops... :lollers: I'm learning, but I've got a long way to do...Thanks for the compliments dude, & great job on this, especially since you basically just threw it together in a take or two... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks Liv, you version sounds much more cohesive than mine, obviously, thanks for uploading the drums only version, I can use it to work on some fills dude...

The chorus part we did pretty similar, & I actually played it different the last day or so using a ride bell in that part instead of the ride edge, so if I hadn't changed that, we'd played it almost identical...I even tried to put some extra kicks in that part, but again, I need to practice on it...

I bought my DTX400 about 2 1/2 years ago but basically stuck it in the closet until January of this year, so I've actually been seriously playing about 6 months...

The ghost notes on the snare add a lot to your playing dude, that's something I've gotta learn to do...
Right now if I even attempt 'em, the whole show stops... :lollers: I'm learning, but I've got a long way to do...Thanks for the compliments dude, & great job on this, especially since you basically just threw it together in a take or two... :minernuggs:
Wow! Pretty impressive for such a short time playing man! Seriously. And I did only do a few takes for this, but like I said before this is a song we did for a drum challenge at the other site some time last year, so I had already gone through the learning phse of it all. This just got cleaned up a bit.

Ghost notes: not that difficult really, just imagine you are playing RLRLRLRLRL a lot of the time, thats all it is and your left hand is just playing lightly for almost all of it. Then you you subtract a note here or there so you can get that left hand back on beat. They really help me keep pace with whats happening around me.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pm Wow! Pretty impressive for such a short time playing man! Seriously. And I did only do a few takes for this, but like I said before this is a song we did for a drum challenge at the other site some time last year, so I had already gone through the learning phse of it all. This just got cleaned up a bit.

Thanks dude, I feel I had a jump on it because I'd programmed midi for years, while still not the same at all, it gave me a good idea of what I'd wanna do for certain things...I'm still a newbie at drumming, but I'm pushing along with it...If I'd taken it seriously 2 years ago, I'd be much better now, but here I am...
liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pmGhost notes: not that difficult really, just imagine you are playing RLRLRLRLRL a lot of the time, thats all it is and your left hand is just playing lightly for almost all of it. Then you you subtract a note here or there so you can get that left hand back on beat. They really help me keep pace with whats happening around me.
I'm gonna work on things like that dude, right now my hh/ride are what keeps me in time & it throws me off doing anything different, I just need to play/practice...I appreciate the tips man, & please, if you have any more, please do keep sharing dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg, would you be willing to remixy drums from this? Im interested in hearing what my drums would sound like from someone who knows how to mix well. Then maybe you'd be willing to give me some pointers as to how you got there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 am Greg, would you be willing to remixy drums from this? Im interested in hearing what my drums would sound like from someone who knows how to mix well. Then maybe you'd be willing to give me some pointers as to how you got there.
Sure. I still gotta listen to them. I heard miner's version, haven't checked yours yet. But I'm gonna today.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 am
liv_rong wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:47 am Greg, would you be willing to remixy drums from this? Im interested in hearing what my drums would sound like from someone who knows how to mix well. Then maybe you'd be willing to give me some pointers as to how you got there.
Sure. I still gotta listen to them. I heard miner's version, haven't checked yours yet. But I'm gonna today.

Cool thanks! I just want to see what I can do better with my mixes and also decide if I want to change some things, namely the overhead configuration.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:06 am

Cool thanks! I just want to see what I can do better with my mixes and also decide if I want to change some things, namely the overhead configuration.
Go ahead and bounce each track out. Make sure they're labeled correctly. Start from 0 so I can line them up easily. No effects or processing. Raw tracks. Zip em in a folder and send them to me.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

[quote=Greg_L post_id=18376 time=1498049038 user_id=49]
[quote=liv_rong post_id=18373 time=1498048596 user_id=74]

Go ahead and bounce each track out. Make sure they're labeled correctly. Start from 0 so I can line them up easily. No effects or processing. Raw tracks. Zip em in a folder and send them to me

Ok I'll put in DB after work. Thanks!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Fucked that quote good lol
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Lemme have the link too Liv, if you don't mind...I'd like to play around with some real drums instead of Superior/Slate/fake drums... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:33 pm Here is mine, plenty of little flubs, especially during the second part of the second verse and at the end.
Good drumming. Yeah you got behind a little on some of the 2nd verse changes. That crazy tom breakdown is cool before the solo.

I think your overheads sounds and toms are pretty good. The kick and snare is what you need to work on.

I'll give the drum mix a shot. See what I can do. Whose song is this anyway?
Rebel Yell