Empty cabs

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Roman

Re: Empty cabs

Post by Roman »

Yup. Free is good
:D
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Just had a quick look at some pics, my nephew's cab has that carpet covering shit on it...Maybe you'll get one with tolex instead dude....

Fuck, I gigged that cab for months, & have been around it for years, but couldn't remember it had carpet covering...Drugs have officially made me a french-fried-tater... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay I saw some pics of that Carvin cab. Looks good. All birch plywood, US made, looks just like a Marshall cab except with the Carvin logo. I'm gonna snag it for free.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:21 pm Okay I saw some pics of that Carvin cab. Looks good. All birch plywood, US made, looks just like a Marshall cab except with the Carvin logo. I'm gonna snag it for free.
Way cool dude, I'm not sure what my nephew's cab is made of, but it's been hauled/gigged/banged around for 20 years & is still goin'...

Are you gonna desecrate it with a Marshall logo??? :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Way cool dude, I'm not sure what my nephew's cab is made of, but it's been hauled/gigged/banged around for 20 years & is still goin'...

Are you gonna desecrate it with a Marshall logo??? :minernuggs:
Probably not. I say probably because I'll definitely take the Carvin logo off, but I don't know if I'll just leave it blank or make it a fake with a Marshall logo just to match all the others. That stuff doesn't matter too much to me, but we'll see once I have it. It looks pretty good from what I can tell. It looks like it's a front-load cab, meaning I'll have to take the front off to put the speakers in. If that's the case, then maybe I'll treat it to some new grill cloth and a logo. Maybe. I should be getting it tomorrow.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:35 am Probably not. I say probably because I'll definitely take the Carvin logo off, but I don't know if I'll just leave it blank or make it a fake with a Marshall logo just to match all the others. That stuff doesn't matter too much to me, but we'll see once I have it. It looks pretty good from what I can tell. It looks like it's a front-load cab, meaning I'll have to take the front off to put the speakers in. If that's the case, then maybe I'll treat it to some new grill cloth and a logo. Maybe. I should be getting it tomorrow.
That's cool dude...I've never saw a front-loaded cab that I can remember...I've been around lots of gear, but it didn't make that big of a deal until I started recording...

If you do replace the grill, shoot us some pics dude...

Pretty sweet deal IMO, a free 4x12...:minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

cab2.jpg
Traditional Australian 1954 cab. We have to be careful though: if you call some one a cab they'll get uber cranky.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:36 am cab2.jpg
Traditional Australian 1954 cab. We have to be careful though: if you call some one a cab they'll get uber cranky.
:minernuggs:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay well I picked up this Carvin cab. Looks like it's maybe a mid-90s or something. I don't really know. Quick research says it's probably a mid 90s. It's got the metal grille, which I hate, but it was free. It's made very very well. Good clean joints, all Birch plywood, no particleboard or MDF. Very solid, clean, tight 4x12 cab. I've seen inside a million Marshall cabs, and honestly none of them look this good. This thing, as ugly as it is, probably has better build quality than most Marshall cabs.

Now... the metal grille. Yuck. And it doesn't look like I can do anything about it. The baffleboard does not come out so that means no grille cloth options. I think I'm stuck with the metal grille. And with this being a front-load cab, once you take the grille off to get to the speakers, there's nothing else you can do. Nothing else comes apart that I can see. The back is just the back. No access from the rear of the cab. All of the joints are damn near seamless and there's no access to any screws. It's like it's made out of one piece of continuous wood! Lol. Everything is tight and covered up with tolex or this weird felt that covers the front of it. I guess that's to keep the fucking metal grille from rattling? I don't know. Whatever. It's measurements match a Marshall cab exactly, so I can at least stack it with the others and it will be fine.

It would look great if it weren't for that dumb metal grille. I hate it so much. I might as well be in a fucking Pantera tribute band.

Someone call Al and tell him I have his cab.

Grossness removed, looks pretty good inside.

Felt on the front face, under the fucking barbecue grill. All in all, pretty clean though.

So we'll see how this thing sounds once I get some speakers in it. I bet it sounds good. Being virtually seamless, I bet it's pretty tight and punchy, and probably really bright with that goddamn sonically invisible metal grille. It was originally a 400 watt cab. Lol. 400 watts. Ridiculous. I think I'm gonna load it up with some of my spare G12T-75s and just keep it as my #4 garage cab that I take to goof around jams. The other three cabs will get rearranged with the good stuff and stay inside for recording or actual worthwhile gigs.

So metal grille notwithstanding, I can't complain. Free cab! :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

If there is enough relief on the front, you could build a frame to put grill cloth on and velcro that to the front. Like the 70s Ampeg cabinets used to do.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:58 pm If there is enough relief on the front, you could build a frame to put grill cloth on and velcro that to the front. Like the 70s Ampeg cabinets used to do.
Yup, I thought about that. There is enough relief, but it would put the grill cloth pretty much flush with the front of the cab. Not really practical or a look I wanna go for.

One similar idea I had that might work is to use thin wood slats behind the perimeter of the metal grille, and use those to attach and stretch grill cloth over the metal mesh. The metal grille is pretty stiff, and grill cloth doesn't have to be super tight, so that could possibly work and still tuck up inside the front of the cab like it's supposed to be. :cuckoo:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Good score Greg. Heaps better build than my Marshall 4 x 12.
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:32 am

One similar idea I had that might work is to use thin wood slats behind the perimeter of the metal grille, and use those to attach and stretch grill cloth over the metal mesh. The metal grille is pretty stiff, and grill cloth doesn't have to be super tight, so that could possibly work and still tuck up inside the front of the cab like it's supposed to be. :cuckoo:
I was going to suggest this as well. Nice score though! Even if it never left and sat around your house looking dumb with its metal dumbness its still a great for free! Even if it was like $50 it would be worth it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:56 am

I was going to suggest this as well. Nice score though! Even if it never left and sat around your house looking dumb with its metal dumbness its still a great for free! Even if it was like $50 it would be worth it.
Yeah I think so. I might try to cover the metal grille. I know it's a silly thing to worry about, but damn, if I have to see it all the time I at least want it to look good.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I guess that I never minded metal grilles. Now that I think about it, I guess that I do prefer cloth.

Looks like a solid cab man, good find. You're speaker rich, that's for sure!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:02 pm I guess that I never minded metal grilles. Now that I think about it, I guess that I do prefer cloth.

Ha yeah I suppose I sort of am. I think Miro probably has more than me. Maybe Boob too. I've just amassed speakers that I know I like. My problem is I'm only happy with 4x12s. I don't like 1x12s, 2x12s are okay, but the 4x12 is the sound I like. They take up a lot of room. :cuckoo:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:02 pm I guess that I never minded metal grilles. Now that I think about it, I guess that I do prefer cloth.

I used to have a Torque amp. I don't think the metal grill was the problem...

Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:16 pm
Hahaha, that's quite a monster amp! Maybe only topped by the old Gorilla that I had as my first amp. What a steaming pile that thing was.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:16 pm

I think it is weird that that is 30watts and my AD30 is also 30 watts. :confused:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It was a shite amp, it wasn't even my first amp. My first amp was a Honer Panther... I think this Torque amp took the Boss HM-2 better than my Honer though.