Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
JD01

Re: Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:25 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 pm
Ah, I think I know the one you mean now - its that one that looks like something off a wartime BBC broadcast isn't it.
I don't know what a wartime BBC mic looks like. This is the SM7...

Ah, no. That's not the one I was thinking of. I think I've seen Ed Vedder singing into one of them though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

As for wartime BBC Hetfield mic, you might be thinking of the Super 55. He uses them live. People regularly put SM58 capsules into the 55 to make it sound good while still looking good.

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:35 pm As for wartime BBC Hetfield mic, you might be thinking of the Super 55. He uses them live. People regularly put SM58 capsules into the 55 to make it sound good while still looking good.

Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of. Hetfield always had one live.

I think you're right about what he used in the studio though.
https://youtu.be/yAetyp0lSv0?t=491
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yup, that's an SM7.
Rebel Yell
zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:33 am I know it needs a shit ton of preamp gain. Mine sits here and collects dust. :facepalm2:
I have a "cloudlifter" which boosts the signal of the SM7. I guess I would recommend it if your preamp can't crank enough clean gain for the SM7. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CL1Cloud

It's really not necessary though, but my SM7 came with one as a package deal. I've used it but haven't noticed much difference in audio quality between the Cloudlifter and just turning up the gain on my focusrite. :geek:

EDIT: Speaking of the Cloudlifter though, I have used it with my modded SM57 (transformer removal mod) and it really helps that mic achieve greatness.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Well today I ordered another 57. I got sick of changing the one I have between my snare and cab. And I don't record that much so I'm pretty lazy and an impulse buyer unfortunately. I got one at Sweetwater with a low profile boom me cable. I used to have a e609 until very recently but preferred the 57 so I sold it. Now here I am lol.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

liv_rong wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:15 pm Well today I ordered another 57. I got sick of changing the one I have between my snare and cab. And I don't record that much so I'm pretty lazy and an impulse buyer unfortunately. I got one at Sweetwater with a low profile boom me cable. I used to have a e609 until very recently but preferred the 57 so I sold it. Now here I am lol.
Love the 609 on guitar cabs.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Audio Monster wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Love the 609 on guitar cabs.
I very rarely use mine. I like to use it on other peoples' stuff, but never for my own. :crazy:
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Yeah...I have two 609 mics...and I can't remember the last time I used one...but they do look cool when you just hang them through the cab handle in front of the grill. :coolstorybro:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

miroslav wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 am Yeah...I have two 609 mics...and I can't remember the last time I used one...but they do look cool when you just hang them through the cab handle in front of the grill. :coolstorybro:
Yes indeed, no mic stand needed with the 609. I still see guys draping a 57 over the cab and it drives me nuts :crazy: Lazy fucks.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yeah it just didnt do it for me, but Im an inexperienced hack. For cleaner stuff it was fine but anything really loud and broken up or high gain just didnt sound good to me(though Im not good at recording that stuff anyways). My ES57's actually sound better all around than the e609 did.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I haven't bought a mic for about 5 years. Spent far too much on them in the early days. Won't rule it out, but no current plans to expand.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'd like more 57s, an MD421, and a nice ribbon. That's about it for me.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 pm I'd like more 57s, an MD421, and a nice ribbon. That's about it for me.
A guy on my local for sale site appeared to be selling a pair of MD 421s for £225 I got slightly excited, but of course they turned out to be £225 EACH. :mad3:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

Greg_L wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:11 pm I'd like more 57s, an MD421, and a nice ribbon. That's about it for me.
How many 57's do you already have? I think I'm good with three. Although four sounds safer..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Audio Monster wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:48 am
How many 57's do you already have? I think I'm good with three. Although four sounds safer..
I have three. One or two more would be good.
Rebel Yell
antichef

Post by antichef »

I have a mic problem. I can admit it, but it's not really getting better. I guess I slowed down a little.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I have 6 mics, 3 dynamic & 3 condensers:
Shure SM57
Sennheiser e609
Audix i5
Samson C0-1
Behringer C1
Carvin CTM100

I'm pretty happy with the mics I have, it'd be nice to have another of each dynamic, but I can get by with what I have...If I ever get to record real drums that'll have to change, but again I'm fairly happy with 'em...I'd kinda like to have a ribbon mic or two, but I can't see spending as much for a single mic as I did for half the gear I have...
Remember, I'm a cheap fucker... :minernuggs:

Something I do need to invest in, is a couple of pads so I can use the condensers on my guitars...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'd like a good vocal mic but I can't sing and haven';t recorded a vocal from someone else for about 5 years so it's a pointless desire.
Cheers
rayc
antichef

Post by antichef »

rayc wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:49 am I'd like a good vocal mic but I can't sing and haven';t recorded a vocal from someone else for about 5 years so it's a pointless desire.
I can't sing either. I have accumulated an embarrassingly whorish lot of vocal mics, and I do record people who can actually sing - and those mics are amazing when properly matched to the individual singer. But for myself, I found that an EV 635a works better than just about anything else, largely because of the lack of proximity (I can't sing loud so I have to get close) and the low cut -- even without proximity, I have a lot of troublesome low frequency in my voice - I wasn't even aware of that until I really looked at (heard!) the situation closely and without predispositions. I think I got the one I use for 10 bucks at a pawn shop.