By the way, Ugritone is going out of business...

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
vomitHatSteve

By the way, Ugritone is going out of business...

Post by vomitHatSteve »

They've never been my favorite VSTi drums, but $70 for 17 kits has to mean there's something decent in there. (Or $100 if you want their amp sims and midi packs too)

https://ugritone.com
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: By the way, Ugritone is going out of business...

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Would any of these work with ezdrummer?

I saw them all over instagtam. I think I checked out their black metal kits a couple times I didn't feel like i needed to pay for lo fi garbage drum sounds. Seemed... wrong.

Thanks for the tips tho.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:33 am Would any of these work with ezdrummer?

I saw them all over instagtam. I think I checked out their black metal kits a couple times I didn't feel like i needed to pay for lo fi garbage drum sounds. Seemed... wrong.

Thanks for the tips tho.
They would work with EZD MIDIs, but it's a totally different plugin (or as it turns out, 4 totally different plugins)

So I got all the drums loaded into track track templates that match my own workflow (I use a custom MIDI mapping). Generally, each kit comes with exactly 1 option for each instrument, but 14 of the 17 are fully cross-compatible with each other. So the Kvlt2 kit only has one kick drum (and it's pretty trash), but you could easily load the Arena Rock kick in its place.
But you can't load in the Skate Punk, NWOBHM, or Modern Metal kick because for whatever reason those are all a different plugin. You also can't cross-load instruments to each other. (e.g. you couldn't set the kick to use the low tom from another kit for a cocktail kit effect), which creates some weird fringe results (like one kit where Crash cymbal 1 is just a stick hit for no clear reason)
Overall, I'll probably get my $70 worth out of it, but I'm glad I didn't spend the extra 30 for the full package including a couple thousand midi files that I would never use and two amp sims.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:47 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 12:33 am Would any of these work with ezdrummer?

Thanks for the tips tho.
They would work with EZD MIDIs, but it's a totally different plugin (or as it turns out, 4 totally different plugins)

So I got all the drums loaded into track track templates that match my own workflow (I use a custom MIDI mapping). Generally, each kit comes with exactly 1 option for each instrument, but 14 of the 17 are fully cross-compatible with each other. So the Kvlt2 kit only has one kick drum (and it's pretty trash), but you could easily load the Arena Rock kick in its place.
But you can't load in the Skate Punk, NWOBHM, or Modern Metal kick because for whatever reason those are all a different plugin. You also can't cross-load instruments to each other. (e.g. you couldn't set the kick to use the low tom from another kit for a cocktail kit effect), which creates some weird fringe results (like one kit where Crash cymbal 1 is just a stick hit for no clear reason)
Overall, I'll probably get my $70 worth out of it, but I'm glad I didn't spend the extra 30 for the full package including a couple thousand midi files that I would never use and two amp sims.
That all sounds really miserable. Maybe once upon a time I'd have wrestled with that but now I just kind of want to sit and not have to tinkeror wrestle with stuff when inspiration hits. Which always seems to happen each time I make time for a session.

I shant compound my headaches.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Honestly, the pain points are largely just lack of options that you might expect a different VSTi have.

I've gotten everything mapped into track templates for my work flow. It took, maybe 2 or 3 hours for the 15 new kits. Now I can swap them in and out pretty quickly.