Sorrow - Bad Religion Cover

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
musicturtle

Re: Sorrow - Bad Religion Cover

Post by musicturtle »

@JD01 the acoustics sound great. And the vocals on the chorus too. Nice harmonies and vocal sound there.

I somewhat agree with VHS that there was more style in the the first vocal. But I think the best take lies somewhere in between the two, because I think the pitch is better on the second one.

The lead guitar seems a little thin to me, but I like the touch it gives to the arrangement.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm hearing lots of glitches or tuning artifacts in the lead vocal - 0.05, 1.03, 1.34.

Is this sitting in an uncomfortable part of your range? I get what VHS is saying. I know some songs I do just don't work because the vocal just sits in a place that doesn't "work" so well with my voice, and if I just raise it a tone or even semi-tone it works so much better. Sounds a little like that to me.

Guitars are great, but yeah, maybe have another go at the lead vocal sometime. Have a few drinks beforehand... :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:36 pm I'm hearing lots of glitches or tuning artifacts in the lead vocal - 0.05, 1.03, 1.34.

Is this sitting in an uncomfortable part of your range? I get what VHS is saying. I know some songs I do just don't work because the vocal just sits in a place that doesn't "work" so well with my voice, and if I just raise it a tone or even semi-tone it works so much better. Sounds a little like that to me.

Guitars are great, but yeah, maybe have another go at the lead vocal sometime. Have a few drinks beforehand... :)
Cool, yeah, I noticed a couple when I listened to this in the car yesterday evening too... and also concluded that the lead vocal sounds a bit shit! Instead of just doing two takes of the whole song, I'll have to work on it properly.

I've already moved it down a tone from the original (D to C) to make it easier to sing. On the whole D might sit a little better, but there's a few high notes in there I'd struggle with and the harmonies would become completely implausible. I'm currently reaching E.

It's strange, I don't have a particularly low speaking voice like say, Nick Cave, but I have a hard limit at F#. I've tried reaching a G before and it just won't happen... was like I'd just run out of frets.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Giving these a proper listen now.
musicturtle wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:31 pm I somewhat agree with VHS that there was more style in the the first vocal. But I think the best take lies somewhere in between the two, because I think the pitch is better on the second one.
@JD01 this ^^^

First take sounds more organic and naturally you i think. I only say that because i can't think of anytime other than your silly coffee song where i have heard a relaxed and organic JD vocal sound. Second take sounds like you are working to hard at fixing something that wasn't broken. For sure the second take is good. But i wouldn't say it is better than the first at all. Just a different vibe all together.

Harmonies were a nice touch. BR is kinda dull with out their trademark harmonies. I like it. If i knew i had some free time coming up at all i'd offer to throw some down on this too. I just don't know when that will be given the revolving door of family that will be cycling thru here over the next 6 weeks. :facepalm2:

Guitars in the second take are great. Love those more than the first take. I don't know why but i had no idea you had a martin.

Good cover all around JD.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:52 am Giving these a proper listen now.
musicturtle wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:31 pm I somewhat agree with VHS that there was more style in the the first vocal. But I think the best take lies somewhere in between the two, because I think the pitch is better on the second one.
@JD01 this ^^^

First take sounds more organic and naturally you i think. I only say that because i can't think of anytime other than your silly coffee song where i have heard a relaxed and organic JD vocal sound. Second take sounds like you are working to hard at fixing something that wasn't broken. For sure the second take is good. But i wouldn't say it is better than the first at all. Just a different vibe all together.

Harmonies were a nice touch. BR is kinda dull with out their trademark harmonies. I like it. If i knew i had some free time coming up at all i'd offer to throw some down on this too. I just don't know when that will be given the revolving door of family that will be cycling thru here over the next 6 weeks. :facepalm2:

Guitars in the second take are great. Love those more than the first take. I don't know why but i had no idea you had a martin.

Good cover all around JD.
The first take was just one and done, how I would do it just sitting with a guitar.

The 2nd one I did a take, tuned it to use as a reference track, the sung along with that a couple of times. I'll give it one more crack.

It's not a high end Martin, it's a Mexican, but I think it feels and sounds great.