Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
Bill L

Re: Your mic locker...are you still adding to it?

Post by Bill L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 pm
Bill L wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:04 pm

I didn't think they came with the 58 capsule. Maybe the Deluxe does (I know they were selling one with the 58 cap in it) but I remember a couple of my friends changing out the capsule to a 58 it made an incredible difference. But as you stated, this is a live mic and not very good for recording. I've never been a fan of that style mic but they do seem to be very popular around here. I'd rather use my Beta 58 or a Samson Q7.
Yeah, it's the Super 55 Deluxe with the supercardioid capsule. It's a different animal to the standard 55 SHII that sounds like a dog in comparison, and feeds back like hell. :crazy:
Yeah, those sound like ass and feedback like crazy. Which reminds me, got a sound gig tonight with a band I don't know. I'm really hoping I won't need this mic:
Mic with barbed wire.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Bill L wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm
Yeah, those sound like ass and feedback like crazy. Which reminds me, got a sound gig tonight with a band I don't know. I'm really hoping I won't need this mic:
Mic with barbed wire.jpg
You gonna go Negan on their ass? :crazy:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:43 pm

You gonna go Negan on their ass? :crazy:
:lollers2:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

Bubba wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:58 pm
Audio Monster wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:39 pm My least used mic is the classic looking Shure super 55 Deluxe. You could literally back a truck over those but they are less than desirable when it comes to how they sound. A rather ungodly mid thing goin on.
Well, those are a live mic rather than a recording mic. Our singer uses one and it's a great live mic. There must be something about the mic body and grille design that's muddying up the sound for you because the mic capsule is essentially a Beta 58 A.
I wouldn't dream of recording with the super 55, I have used it live in the cover band coz it looks so cool. I just EQ'd the hell out of it. I've heard (could google it) that the capsule is a 58 Beta, hmm.
zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

I'm done. The last mic I bought was an SM7b a couple years ago to finish off my collection.
zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:43 pm My best stand is a Tama one - I didn't know they made mic stands but seeing they make drums, and drum hardware it's a logical leap. Excellent piece of gear.
Ditto on the Tama mic stand, I have two of them, great hardware.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

zed32 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:25 am I'm done. The last mic I bought was an SM7b a couple years ago to finish off my collection.
I have one of those and I never use it for anything. I should give it a try one day.
Rebel Yell
zed32

Post by zed32 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:15 am
zed32 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:25 am I'm done. The last mic I bought was an SM7b a couple years ago to finish off my collection.
I have one of those and I never use it for anything. I should give it a try one day.
I like it on vokels, but I yell a lot. I don't think it would work so well for somebody with a silky-smooth Smoky Robinson-esque voice like yourself.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

zed32 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:13 pm

I like it on vokels, but I yell a lot. I don't think it would work so well for somebody with a silky-smooth Smoky Robinson-esque voice like yourself.
That's true, good point.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bill L wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:39 pm Mic with barbed wire.jpg
Is that the "don't you fucking dare cup the mic" modification?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:15 am
That's a hell of a mic to not be using! :biggrin: I used a borrowed one on LGIT. I quite liked it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:05 am

That's a hell of a mic to not be using! :biggrin: I used a borrowed one on LGIT. I quite liked it.
I know it needs a shit ton of preamp gain. Mine sits here and collects dust. :facepalm2:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:33 am
Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:05 am

I know it needs a shit ton of preamp gain. Mine sits here and collects dust. :facepalm2:
Yeah, that's true. Although the preamps on my Focusrite coped with it pretty well. I was doing some very shouty singing, though!

I've heard some people complain of it being almost unusable with their gear.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:43 am

Yeah, that's true. Although the preamps on my Focusrite coped with it pretty well. I was doing some very shouty singing, though!

I've used it for other people's vocals. It works fine with my preamps. I just never use it for myself. I should try it on a guitar cab.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:43 am
Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:33 am

Is it well known as being for use with shouty vocals? I don't actually have a proper vocal mic, I just use either my 57 or my shitty Focusrite condenser. I might finally get a vocal mic at some point soon.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Is it well known as being for use with shouty vocals?
Yes, that's pretty much it's reason for existing. It's weird, really. Screamer vocalists....and broadcasting. A lot of radio/podcast guys use it too. I guess because it rejects ambient noise so well maybe? I don't know. But it's mostly used by screamer/loud vocalists. I think James Hetfield carries one around in his pocket.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm Is it well known as being for use with shouty vocals? I don't actually have a proper vocal mic, I just use either my 57 or my shitty Focusrite condenser. I might finally get a vocal mic at some point soon.
If you're contemplating one, you'd better set aside £250-350.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:06 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm Is it well known as being for use with shouty vocals? I don't actually have a proper vocal mic, I just use either my 57 or my shitty Focusrite condenser. I might finally get a vocal mic at some point soon.
If you're contemplating one, you'd better set aside £250-350.
Fuck that, I'd rather struggle.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:33 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 pm
Is it well known as being for use with shouty vocals?
Yes, that's pretty much it's reason for existing. It's weird, really. Screamer vocalists....and broadcasting. A lot of radio/podcast guys use it too. I guess because it rejects ambient noise so well maybe? I don't know. But it's mostly used by screamer/loud vocalists. I think James Hetfield carries one around in his pocket.
Ah, I think I know the one you mean now - its that one that looks like something off a wartime BBC broadcast isn't it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:53 pm
Ah, I think I know the one you mean now - its that one that looks like something off a wartime BBC broadcast isn't it.
I don't know what a wartime BBC mic looks like. This is the SM7...

Rebel Yell