Traded my amp head for combo

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
CrowsofFritz

Traded my amp head for combo

Post by CrowsofFritz »

And got a few more pedals. Now I can finally record an actual amp. First attempts were horrid. Took a bit to find the sweet spot.
IMG_1919.jpeg
IMG_1921.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Re: Traded my amp head for combo

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:01 am And got a few more pedals. Now I can finally record an actual amp. First attempts were horrid. Took a bit to find the sweet spot.

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg
:lollers2: :lollers2:

Time to bring the tone thread back to life.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:46 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:01 am And got a few more pedals. Now I can finally record an actual amp. First attempts were horrid. Took a bit to find the sweet spot.

IMG_1919.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg
:lollers2: :lollers2:

Time to bring the tone thread back to life.
Might have to. Two biggest problems I found quickly. Mic needed to be backed off 2 inches, and something that sounds good alone might be too much for the mix so cut off some low end.

I’m sure having the amp on the floor doesn’t help, but I’m low on space and that’s definitely the best spot for it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

What's the amp? Vox I can see, but which Vox?

Also, how do you sit at your recording desk with everything down at your feet and off to your left?

I got my best amp recordings by sticking the thing in a different room, sealing said room as best I could, and running cables to the recording area - so I could hear just what was coming through as signal, uncontaminated by the noise of the amp. Don't suppose you have that option?

Might also be worth just raising it off the floor a smidge with something that would insulate it - doesn't have to be much. It's also a very reflective floor. Bit of carpet might help.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

That looks like a suboptimal location for an amp. Amps need room to breath. Try putting it on the other side of the room, and definitely isolate from the floor. I don't know if there is anyone below you, if so, they gonna love you :biggrin:
Cheers
Chris
my music
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

CeeBee wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:50 am That looks like a suboptimal location for an amp. Amps need room to breath. Try putting it on the other side of the room, and definitely isolate from the floor. I don't know if there is anyone below you, if so, they gonna love you :biggrin:
Armistice wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:25 pm What's the amp? Vox I can see, but which Vox?

Also, how do you sit at your recording desk with everything down at your feet and off to your left?

I got my best amp recordings by sticking the thing in a different room, sealing said room as best I could, and running cables to the recording area - so I could hear just what was coming through as signal, uncontaminated by the noise of the amp. Don't suppose you have that option?

Might also be worth just raising it off the floor a smidge with something that would insulate it - doesn't have to be much. It's also a very reflective floor. Bit of carpet might help.
Thanks guys. I’ll definitely raise it with some padding or something and a carpet. It may be suboptimal but it’s also really the only viable place I can put it given how little space I’m working with. I could put it in the living room but then my roommate would likely object and such.

Nobody living under me, so I really only play it when my roommate is out.

As far as the feet situation, there’s a place I can rest both of them and that’s pretty much it. I don’t mind as I don’t really do long sessions.

Edit: oh and it’s a Vox AC10

Honestly, the feet thing I’m not annoyed with. It’s when playing guitar (right handed) and I want to be right in front of the computer that’s annoying. That’s why playing bass (left) is nicer lol. But that’s just a personal thing. I obviously don’t have to be in front of the computer.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Got some padding for the amp and a small carpet for the mic and also to make my room look a bit nicer.

Won’t have a chance to test it out until the weekend unless my roommate spends the night at his girlfriends—which has been more frequent recently.
IMG_1928.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:48 pm

Might have to. Two biggest problems I found quickly. Mic needed to be backed off 2 inches, and something that sounds good alone might be too much for the mix so cut off some low end.

I’m sure having the amp on the floor doesn’t help, but I’m low on space and that’s definitely the best spot for it.
Proximity effect...it's real. Backing the mic away helps that.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 am It’s when playing guitar (right handed) and I want to be right in front of the computer that’s annoying. That’s why playing bass (left) is nicer lol.

Explain this.

I'm reading it as you play guitar right handed but play bass left handed?
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:21 pm Image

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:49 am It’s when playing guitar (right handed) and I want to be right in front of the computer that’s annoying. That’s why playing bass (left) is nicer lol.
Explain this.

Yessir! It was for 3 reasons: Beatles fangirling, if I ever join a cover band (not a tribute band), and because I was bored and wanted to learn all over. It’s been about a year now. I’d say I’m pretty close to just as good as right handed.
IMG_1917.jpeg
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:43 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:21 pm Image

Explain this.

Yessir! It was for 3 reasons: Beatles fangirling, if I ever join a cover band (not a tribute band), and because I was bored and wanted to learn all over. It’s been about a year now. I’d say I’m pretty close to just as good as right handed.

IMG_1917.jpeg
This is funny to me. LOL. Good on you Crows. Cover all your bases buddy.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:14 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:43 pm

IMG_1917.jpeg
I’d honestly recommend it to anyone who’s ambidextrous. It may be a tiny bit frustrating at first, but learning from scratch was one of the most fun things for me about guitar. Those were the days when I’d play 4 hours a day. Now I don’t even have that much free time a day.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:36 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:14 pm

I’d honestly recommend it to anyone who’s ambidextrous. It may be a tiny bit frustrating at first, but learning from scratch was one of the most fun things for me about guitar. Those were the days when I’d play 4 hours a day. Now I don’t even have that much free time a day.
I'm semi-ambidextrous, especially playing pickleball, but I'm going to pass on learning to play devil bass. :wink:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:36 pm

I'm semi-ambidextrous, especially playing pickleball, but I'm going to pass on learning to play devil bass. :wink:
Pickleball is expanding so fast. I guess the appeal is that it’s a little more accessible than tennis?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:47 am
Armistice wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 pm

Pickleball is expanding so fast. I guess the appeal is that it’s a little more accessible than tennis?
It's huge here among seniors. We have a pretty swanky psortsplex and one of my retired homies goes to play pickjle balls but he says he has to be there a 5:45 (15 mins before the place opens) to que up other wise if you are a peasant who waits for the place to open you can sit in the que for upwards of two hours. He wants me to go try try it but i can't be fucked if i ever wake up at 5 in the morning to go try out a new sport.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:12 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:47 am

It's huge here among seniors. We have a pretty swanky psortsplex and one of my retired homies goes to play pickjle balls but he says he has to be there a 5:45 (15 mins before the place opens) to que up other wise if you are a peasant who waits for the place to open you can sit in the que for upwards of two hours. He wants me to go try try it but i can't be fucked if i ever wake up at 5 in the morning to go try out a new sport.
Yeah, there's lots of it up here too. It's all online booking though - you do have to be on your mark with the bookings as they auto rollover every week - and for certain times, if you're not booked in within 30 minutes of the bookings opening, then you're not getting in. They've moved the more advanced Sunday session to 7am. I'm just not getting up that early on a Sunday to play pickleball, so we just book in the 9am less competitive slot. I just view it as a good form of exercise a couple of times a week. Not looking to play in a comp or anything serious like that...