Dream Guitars

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Re: Dream Guitars

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:33 pm Being able to do tasks above cleaning, intonation, minor electrical and truss rod adjusting requires more than just the knowledge and tools - it requires a place to actually do these things. I have no workbench here, even though it's a big house, nor is there a place to put one. And there's only one table in the house and I'm not having guitars sitting on that while I'm working on them.

I regard most guitar adjustments, cleaning and maintenance as a necessary evil. I don't get any joy out of doing them. Cleaning a guitar up is about as exciting as polishing my screwdrivers and lining them up straight in their box. Nice to look at them afterwards and you get a brief sense of accomplishment from the work, but there are other things I'd rather be doing...

So, the space and the desire are missing. Hence I'll outsource anything other than routine maintenance. This is pretty rare anyway - I don't exactly play my guitars to death.
I rarely clean a guitar so that's an easy process.

And adjustments are done with it sitting on my lap while I watch a show that I would have been watching anyways.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:58 am So now the search is on for the right 1973 LP Custom or Deluxe.
Found it.

1973 LP Custom

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WTF?!?! Did you just buy that?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:12 pm WTF?!?! Did you just buy that?
Few weeks ago. It was a little rough I've been cleaning/restoring it. It's factory correct now.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That binding is much more yellowed then the pics i had seen previously. Shit is old. LOL.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:15 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:12 pm WTF?!?! Did you just buy that?
Few weeks ago. It was a little rough I've been cleaning/restoring it. It's factory correct now.
Awesome! Tones Etc. Back to back with your other ones!
I'm guessing that's your "birth year" guitar you talked about before?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:02 pm That binding is much more yellowed then the pics i had seen previously. Shit is old. LOL.
Lol it matches it's new owner. :guru:

It is old and yellowed but it's not as vibrant and yellowed in person as it appears in those pics. I don't know if it's some setting in my phone or whatever.

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:18 pm Awesome! Tones Etc. Back to back with your other ones!
Yeah it's the birth year guitar.
Rebel Yell
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

That's a beautiful guitar. Enjoy. :illdrinktothat:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice guitar...it'd be the half way through high school guitar if it were mine or the year I bought a Coronet bass sort of time.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

That nice man! Just the right amount of wear ... and I've always been super partial to a cherry 'burst

They didn't make any good guitars during my birth year so I'm safe from that particular search
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice! Looks in reasonable nick for that age.

Apparently a Les Paul Standard from my birth year starts at about $150,000 USD. Customs are cheaper, for reasons unknown.

Won't be going there...
rayc

Post by rayc »

My BIRTH guitar isn't terribly attractive though, with a different headstock, it may have been okay.
Released in 1957 - the Moderne...
moderne.jpg
A design Ovation seems to have added beef to with the Breadwinner in the 70s. Lou Reed played one for a while...unattractive things for his, by then, unattractive playing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:13 am My BIRTH guitar isn't terribly attractive though, with a different headstock, it may have been okay.
Released in 1957 - the Moderne...
moderne.jpg
A design Ovation seems to have added beef to with the Breadwinner in the 80s Lou Reed played one for a while...unattractive things for his, by then, unattractive playing.
The Moderne is a priceless rarity.

But also from 57....the first humbucker Les Pauls. PAF powered Goldtops. Still crazy expensive, but not as much as a Moderne!
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:25 am The Moderne is a priceless rarity.

But also from 57....the first humbucker Les Pauls. PAF powered Goldtops. Still crazy expensive, but not as much as a Moderne!
I did look at that and the 57 Strat but as neither were designed that year, & the rather nice Jazzmaster was 58, I went for the oddball of 57.
I'm trying to imagine a headstock that wouldn't be as awful and, oddly most other options seem worse.
Something like a Rickenbacker or even headless, (can't imagine that helping in 57), might have worked better.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

wasn't anything made in '51 that I'd want
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 am wasn't anything made in '51 that I'd want
Tele?
The astronomical price might limit you to a reissue though
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:30 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:02 pm That binding is much more yellowed then the pics i had seen previously. Shit is old. LOL.
Lol it matches it's new owner. :guru:

It is old and yellowed but it's not as vibrant and yellowed in person as it appears in those pics. I don't know if it's some setting in my phone or whatever.

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:18 pm Awesome! Tones Etc. Back to back with your other ones!
Yeah it's the birth year guitar.
I like the volute on the back of the neck. My Crimson has one. Can't think why they don't all still have that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:53 am
I like the volute on the back of the neck. My Crimson has one. Can't think why they don't all still have that.
Because they didn't have them in the 50s and they don't do anything anyway.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:01 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 am wasn't anything made in '51 that I'd want
Tele?
The astronomical price might limit you to a reissue though
actually Broadcaster ......but yes .... a tele ....
meh ....... no interest.
First I have a tele and second, a tele is a tele is a tele.

Ya' know ....... there's one git I wouldn't mind finding and that'd be the Silvertone my parents bought me as my first electric.
I wish I had it back ..... ya' know, dead parents and my very first electric.
It was a Teisco made Silvertone ...... the Teisco model WG 4L.

But way too much money for a not great guitar just for sentimental reasons so I won't get one.
Like this only mine was red like the second pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

51 Mercs are pretty fucking cool.

Rebel Yell