Focusrite 2i2 Studio Pack

Got a cool pedal you want to tell the world about? Maybe an over hyped plugin that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download? Leave all your reviews in here to share with present and future rebels!
JD01

Focusrite 2i2 Studio Pack

Post by JD01 »

This is an ideal beginner kit, comprised of an interface, condenser mic and a pair of closed back headphones.
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/focusrite-s ... 7JEALw_wcB

Interface:
- Pros: its a pretty solid lump, seems robust, all the controls work well, the "halo" around the knobs are a decent substitute for VU needles and probably keep the cost down while still being useful. Has direct monitoring and is pretty low latency, driver support from Focusrite seems good and there's loads of really good VSTs thrown in when you register on their website. Clear sound with no obvious artefacts or colouring of the sound.
- Cons: Only two inputs, you can't record a drum-kit with this. I have the first edition and high output guitars will clip the preamps, even if you have the input gain right down. Apparently this has been changed on the newer versions but something to watch out for if you're getting a 2nd hand one. Can be a bit sticky pulling 1/4" jack out of the inputs.

Mic:
- Pros: For the price (i.e. a bundle item with the AI) its really detailed, works OK as a vocal mic, although I've had better results using a AKG C1000S on acoustic guitars. I also use it as a 2nd mic on my guitar amp which I blend in until its just noticeable to beef up the tone. Main mic is an SM57.
- Cons: Its a little bit noisy. It gives a pretty hot signal, much hotter than the C1000s - have to turn the AI preamp gain right down which switching from the C1000s to this. I sing really loudly and I get distortion on my vocals using this, when I didn't with my other mics - I quite like the distortion though.

headphones:
- Pros: They give pretty good isolation when tracking, they don't sound too bad tracking and they're pretty comfortable.
- Cons: They feel a bit cheap. The do bleed a little and it gets picked up on a sensitive mic, like the mic in the bundle (I gate my vocal tracks 'cos of this), they're quite dark sounding. You'd struggle to do anything but the roughest of rough mixes on them.
rayc

Re: Focusrite 2i2 Studio Pack

Post by rayc »

Good review James.
I have a Gen 1 version as well. A gift from the Mrs, (after the Yamaha MT100 4 track cassette machine, the Roland Disk Lab and the Zoom R16 she has bought me progressively since about 87).
I've not used the Interface as I don't use W7 or 10 on my recording comp. It sits on the internet computer in case I have a bright idea upstairs.
The mic isn't too bad at all. It compares well with my Behringer equiv and isn't as good as my AT2020.
The headphones - well I use them a bit but they feel cheap & light, and seem to have altered bass response.
If I were just getting into recording I'd be super stoked to have this Studio Pack.
Cheers
rayc