The French Guitar Cookbook

Got a cool pedal you want to tell the world about? Maybe an over hyped plugin that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download? Leave all your reviews in here to share with present and future rebels!
JD01

The French Guitar Cookbook

Post by JD01 »

This arrived in the post today. I'll keep you updated with how I find it. From what I've heaRd, apparently it's great for anyone that has even a passing interest in musical theory.
Armistice

Re: The French Guitar Cookbook

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 am This arrived in the post today. I'll keep you updated with how I find it. From what I've heaRd, apparently it's great for anyone that has even a passing interest in musical theory.
Interesting title!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Is that the one that Glen Fricker was touting a while back? I thought that it looked pretty interesting.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nothing screams "Rock and Roll!" like french guitar.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:38 pm Is that the one that Glen Fricker was touting a while back? I thought that it looked pretty interesting.
Yeah - that's the one. I was hoping that it would be something interesting to keep my mind occupied during the week when I am away from home. Bit underwhelming so far. All I've found by Page 15 are chords that would be impossible to reach during a song and sound shit anyway.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:33 pm Yeah - that's the one. I was hoping that it would be something interesting to keep my mind occupied during the week when I am away from home. Bit underwhelming so far. All I've found by Page 15 are chords that would be impossible to reach during a song and sound shit anyway.
Sounds like French RnR, (except for Little Bob Story).
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RPnAWAqsjU[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:33 pm
Tadpui wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:38 pm Is that the one that Glen Fricker was touting a while back? I thought that it looked pretty interesting.
Yeah - that's the one. I was hoping that it would be something interesting to keep my mind occupied during the week when I am away from home. Bit underwhelming so far. All I've found by Page 15 are chords that would be impossible to reach during a song and sound shit anyway.
C'mon - show us a few.... take a pic with your phone. I want to see these French chords... :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

20170713_070102.jpg
Lol. I think they sound nicer if your guitar is out of tune.
20170713_070020.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Got into the meat of this book now in the 2nd half and it's got all the stuff I hoped it would have explained how i wanted... should help generate some unusual ideas. Whether they'll transfer into my music or just be an academic exercise I don't know though.

I don't think the basics were that well explained though, you might struggle with this book if you didn't already know your modes,
rayc

Post by rayc »

The Crimson? The position markers seem to indicate so.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:28 pm The Crimson? The position markers seem to indicate so.
Yes. Although the mrkers were my idea. They started using these markers as standard after mine was built.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Wow, you've left your mark on Crimson!
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 am Wow, you've left your mark on Crimson!
Would appear so :) Christopher who built my guitar seems to do a lot of their design work. Dunno, maybe it was something that they were already looking at as standard, but it did seem to come onto their standard models right after I asked for it. Don't know if any other brands do it, I just thought it would look cool when I was designing it and Chris agreed.