IBANEZ Renometer No 95 Demo - Review

Got a cool pedal you want to tell the world about? Maybe an over hyped plugin that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download? Leave all your reviews in here to share with present and future rebels!
rayc

IBANEZ Renometer No 95 Demo - Review

Post by rayc »

Here's my own little demo/review of the Ibanez Renometer No95.
It's an old EQ that was on the market from '74 - '76 ish. I bought mine in about '85 at a garage sale for AUS$5.
It is in almost the same state as when I bought it - though I added the IN & OUT labels etc as I hate pulling things up & out to look for the INs n OUTs. Gun metal grey with white and a fish scaling of rust. It runs on TWO 9v batteries and four side screws have to be undone, (though they have been made for finger tightening), to get into the battery compartment.
I used it a lot in my early recording days - it was the only effects piece I had for quite a while. Early Pygmy Beat recordings have the Hi Boost on the guitar almost always - it worked well enough when recording to four track cassette tape.
Here's the demo - Squire Mustang bridge pick up, full volume & tone rolled full forward to high into a 5 Watt Kustom Defender 5H into a VS series Marshall 4 x 12. Mic'd with a 57 and an e609 which are blended equally.
No post recording processing except editing silence and conversion to MP3.
All apologies for the playing & voice.
#95 front.jpg
#95 back.jpg
#95 top.jpg
Renometer demo.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Re: IBANEZ Renometer No 95 Demo - Review

Post by rayc »

I found the "manual" in PDF. It has some interesting ideas - guitar and amp simulations based on EQ. I'll try some.
Ibanez_Renometer_Manual.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Having found the above manual and the recommended settings to achieve certain sounds I decided to apply them.
Squire Mustang Bullet HH into the Renometer No 95 into my Kustom 5 watt amp into 4 x 12 into a 57 & e609.
Now, the amp overdrives VERY quickly and I did start with a clean tone. A little tweaking would easily achieve better tones but this is just following the recommended settings for a humbucker guitar.
Renometer recco settings demo.mp3
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

How did I miss this? That thing is cool!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I was just thinking the same thing, I hadn't seen this until now but the thread appears to be 7 months old!

Seems like quite a versatile pedal actually.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

That thing looks prehistoric! Cool stuff, man.
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Fook me, I think I may still have one of those hidden away somewhere........will have to go searching.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ausrock wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:29 pm Fook me, I think I may still have one of those hidden away somewhere........will have to go searching.
As mentioned: I bought it for a fiver mid 80s and used it quite a bit with a single coil semi-acoustic in early 4 track cassette recordings.
I'd not used it for almost three decades - partly because it's a hassle to put in two batteries etc., but it's a cool tool.
I've not recorded with it since resurrecting it recently but plan to do so in the near future.
I'd be interested to see &/or hear yours.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Here's a vid of someone playing with one of these units...
Mine is back from the technician - has a socket for a 9v power supply and has rails or something internally to build up the needed 18v or whatever it was the 2 x 9v batteries used to supply.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iqkDAjDenk[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc