EH Mel9 Tape Replay Machine

Got a cool pedal you want to tell the world about? Maybe an over hyped plugin that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download? Leave all your reviews in here to share with present and future rebels!
JD01

Re: EH Mel9 Tape Replay Machine

Post by JD01 »

Ray, that's a really cool sounding pedal. Definitely the sort of thing that I really want even though i don't need it and have no use for it.
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

Interesting stuff, I love their pedals, some really leftfeild stuff. They got organs and other similar keyboards in the same type of pedal. I just got their iron lung pedal and Im enjoying it
Death, War, Discipline, weekends off.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:53 am Ray, that's a really cool sounding pedal. Definitely the sort of thing that I really want even though i don't need it and have no use for it.
I'm keeping my options open... I can always drive down and borrow ray's... :eep: :biggrin:

Or subcontract ray to play it for me... :wink:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:42 pm I'm keeping my options open... I can always drive down and borrow ray's... :eep: :biggrin:
David,
I'd already decided that, once I'd worked it out and done a few things, I'd post it up to you to play with for a while.
I figure having it around would mean I'd overuse it and it'd clutter up stuff - I have very little restraint.
Does that make sense?
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:55 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:42 pm I'm keeping my options open... I can always drive down and borrow ray's... :eep: :biggrin:
David,
I'd already decided that, once I'd worked it out and done a few things, I'd post it up to you to play with for a while.
I figure having it around would mean I'd overuse it and it'd clutter up stuff - I have very little restraint.
Does that make sense?
Shit, sorry ray! Didn't see this... I'd be happy to give it a home for a bit when you're tired of it! :biggrin: I'll be heading down south (long story) a bit more frequently over the next little while, so easy enough to pickup/deliver if you don't want to trust it to the post. Or whatever.. :wink:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Whatever 's convenient David.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

UPDATE.
I tried a 4 string bass through the Mel9 as well as a 'cello with bug bridge pickup:
Bass - interestingly worked better for some sounds than others - a definite winner for flute and cello but even with those it needs to be 5th fret & higher and forget the bottom E string altogether.
'Cello - pretty much the same as bass though there were far more artifacts in the sounds. I used a compressor, (recommended for any instrument going in), to even & boost the signal.
With both instruments the Mel9 could detect the low notes of the E string/C string and 1st positions on the A OK but selected higher octaves to express them.
It's definitely requires time to find the sweet spot on the input instrument and then the sweet spot of the emulated instrument. I tried, as much as possible, to work within the true range of the emulated instrument but heaps of synthy fun can be had with other notes as well.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've had a couple or three months to play around with the thing and get to know how to record with it. Playing without recording is easy - particularly when the dry & effects lines are blended, but recording takes a bit more to get the sounds to sit nicely in a mix and then there's dealing with expectations of folk - it doesn't sound like "real" string samples an an expensive synth but like Mellotron recordings of instruments.
In the box trickery is pretty easy though - a Fender Twin Reverb amp sim with LOTs of spring reverb, top end rolled off, the twin;'s native cab, a dynamic mic close to the simulated grill and you're on your way. If you have a Fender Twin or similar amp you're well ahead.
The other thing is TIME. I've begun to work out playing techniques to suit the types of voices - as well as the attack & sustain settings. It doesn't matter whether a pick or fingers is used but the compressor in front of the Mel9 is important.
Here is a recent mix I did using those bits & bobs above:
SPC1811151017gd.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc