JD's Mutt Pup

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

JD01

JD's Mutt Pup

Post by JD01 »

Mutt,

I sorted out all those pictures the other day for how my guitar is wired up. My soldering is shit, but functional.
I should be able to copy what's here pretty easily providing that I know which wire needs to go where.
20170331_144943.jpg
20170331_144927.jpg
20170331_144904.jpg
20170331_144845.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Re: JD's Mutt Pup

Post by muttley »

I should be able to replicate that as long as I have the four conductor in those colours. That looks like SD standard so no problem.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 am I should be able to replicate that as long as I have the four conductor in those colours. That looks like SD standard so no problem.
You don't even have to have the same colours providing that you tag and number them or something so I know what one is what.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:02 am
muttley wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:38 am I should be able to replicate that as long as I have the four conductor in those colours. That looks like SD standard so no problem.
You don't even have to have the same colours providing that you tag and number them or something so I know what one is what.
Thats ok, I'm on my phone right now so not easy to get a good look at the pics. It does look like standard colour wire though so we should be fine. I can find out which coil is which colour pretty easily. In fact im 99% sure already...;)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That looks to me like black is hot, green/bare are grounds, the red/white are the splits...which is typical for SDs.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:14 am That looks to me like black is hot, green/bare are grounds, the red/white are the splits...which is typical for SDs.
I think so too. In the luthier world we call them "start and finish" wires but I think you nailed it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Just to let you guys know I havent forgotten you all. Ive been away for a week with the family and I'm catching up. Also I came back to find a fox in the coop so I gotta build up another one this week with the boys as they are off school and I promised a while back. I should be back onto winding up pups when I get some free time early next week.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

No worries, Mutt. When you have time, mate.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD's MuttBucker in zebra flavour is about to hit the bench. The delay has been for the same reasons as LT's MuttBucker, namely being sent some shite bobbins.....

Below are the parts. Last chance to call for any changes JD, this is gonna hit the winder this evening or tomorrow latest. I'm gonna spin up the crap bobbins as a test on the output as you wanted quite a hot pickup. I should be able to get pretty close if I take a dummy run first.. I know where I am winding to under about 9k but over that the bobbin gets stacked and the count goes up dissproportionately...
JDBUCKER1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Awesome cheers, Mutt!

No, no changes - I don't know enough about pickups to suggests them. The spec was just developed by chatting to you, another pickup maker and a luthier based on what I was after.
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK matey, I will keep a build diary here for you as we move on over the next week... I'm gonna wind up the sub par bobbins as well and if I can scrounge enough parts together I will put it together for comparison for you....
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Thanks Mutt, I'll look forward to seeing it come together.
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK I have the bobbins wound and taped up and I shot for around 10.4 based on wind count on the dummy one I did. I have made the screw coil slightly hotter so when you split it it should keep a decent output.

Bingo.... Damn I'm good....
JDBUCKER2.jpg
I have taken a few videos as well while spinning up the bobbins but you've all seem them already so I'm going to do an assembly vid as well on this one...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Wahey! Champion bollock, Mutt!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Slugs and screws are in and It's temp mounted on the baseplate with an A5...

Family arriving again in half an hour so the rest will have to wait til tomorrow...

Looks good though. Vid to follow
JDBUCKER3.jpg
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Awesome. Cheers.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very nice. I bet that pickup smokes that mudbomb JB.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

All done JD, Going to pot this and send it out... Am I right in thinking you are direct mounting this? Do you want the mounting holes tapped? Also is this going to see lots of live or load service? That may affect how much potting I give it...

JDBUCKER4.jpg

JDBUCKER5.jpg
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Awesome. Looks great. Yeah, I'll be direct mounding it, so tapping the plate could be nice. Its unlikely to get lots of live use. Will only be pub gigs. Not big shows, it will be almost always used for recording.

What do you mean by load use? Did you mean Loud? I tend to record at small pub gig volume as that's a good balance for me between pissing off my neighbours and getting a tone.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Yeh loud.. my bad..

PM later for address and video when I have time to put it together over the weekend...