JD's Mutt Pup

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

Re: JD's Mutt Pup

Post by muttley »

Can you list your chain please JD...
muttley

Post by muttley »

On the reduction in output I can hazard a guess but without putting a metre reading across each coil on the JB I cant say for certain.

On a humbucker a lot of the dirt and grind is put in there by mismatching the coil impedance. The JB is meant to a high gain and pretty dirty beast I suspect that they have quite a difference (probably in excess of around 15%). As one of the objectives was to increase the clarity I dropped down to about 8% missmatch. That would effectively keep the gain levels in the ballpark but introduce sweeter less growling "muddy" tone. The trade off is that the coil split will have slightly less output compared to the JB split. Hopefully it is something you can live with. To push the missmatch higher would effectively just give you another JB... make sense?

To my ears you have much cleaner separation and bags of gain. I wound the split coil with quite a random scatter which would also give you quite a punchy mid and upper range which with high gain should result in a punchy and raw humbucker sound as well as a clear and driven split... God I hate these "subjective" terms. They mean various things to all of us...

Anyhoo, play with it and see what you can come up with. I recon based on what you have posted there you will now have more options in you kit bag rather than just a dirty muddy JB sound. Let me know what you think as you get used to it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Ive just been listening to them on shuffle and blind and made notes without knowing for certain which was which. One thing that jumps out looking back at my notes and comments is that the MuttBucker sounds way less "boxy" and a lot more immediate and up front. Hard to describe but I can here it clearly. I know its one of mine but I know which one I prefer.

The true test will be when you find a new sweet spot for it that grabs you though. A/B's are only helpful to a point..
muttley

Post by muttley »

Good soundclips BTW.Thanks for doing them. :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I definitely prefer it too. Interesting why there's such a difference when split, makes cheers. Just noticed my string spacing is all wrong now, must have moved my high end saddles with all the fucking about. Im shit at soldering. I'll sort that tomorrow now.

Chain a guitar, SD1(set for boost only), preamp, GE7, power amp, SM57 and Focusrite Condenser. The condenser is set to -16.5db in all clips. It's just there to help with the small cab sound.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

The Mutt pickup sounds really good. It seems to be right in the middle of a JB and a 59 gain wise.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Been playing using the Mutt P'up all week now. Not recording, just playing through my weekday rig. Gotta say, I'm very happy with it.

Never really used the middle position on my guitar before but now, both split and with both humbuckers on it sounds great.

I was never particularly happy with my neck pickup, a Jazz, but it played nice with the JB in the bridge, now when I switch to the neck only it doesn't sound good at all, particularly the full humbucker. I always preferred the 59 I had in the neck of my old telecaster. Might make another change soon.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Can you do some clips without the SD1 in the chain?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:05 am Can you do some clips without the SD1 in the chain?
Will do on the weekend - I do like the SD1 to tighten up the flub though.
I still haven't moved the mics at all and they're in my usual position so I'm gonna do another comparison with the JB in the Balti-Caster too, curious to see how different it is when placed in a worthless MDF guitar.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 9:05 am Can you do some clips without the SD1 in the chain?
Here's the Mutt Bucker without the SD1, the dark flub of my amp starts to creap in, thought not as bad as it is with the JB.
Mutt Hum No Boost.mp3
Also, here's the JB in the Balticaster! The difference in gain is crazy! (this does have the boost on)
Balticaster.mp3
Its also very, very noisey!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:32 am
Here's the Mutt Bucker without the SD1, the dark flub of my amp starts to creap in, thought not as bad as it is with the JB.
Mutt Hum No Boost.mp3
Also, here's the JB in the Balticaster! The difference in gain is crazy! (this does have the boost on)

Balticaster.mp3

Checked out all the samples. Mutt Hum No boost is the clear stand out winner in my opinion. Is that SD-1 on in Mutt Pup Hum Solo?
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mutt Hum no boost sounds really good. The sample after it hurt my ears.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mutt Hum No Boost.mp3

Balticaster.mp3

Yup, both pretty murky and flubby, but the Mutt Pup has way better clarity and smoothness to me.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

mutt no boost wins hands down .... that's a really nice sound
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:54 pm
Mutt Hum No Boost.mp3

Balticaster.mp3

Checked out all the samples. Mutt Hum No boost is the clear stand out winner in my opinion. Is that SD-1 on in Mutt Pup Hum Solo?
All the clips are boosted except for the one labelled no boost which I posted up yesterday.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:42 am
Mutt Hum No Boost.mp3

Balticaster.mp3

Yup, both pretty murky and flubby, but the Mutt Pup has way better clarity and smoothness to me.
Yeah, I think I prefer the boosted tone as it stops the flub. But it does lose a bit to much bottom end.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD, if you want. I can drop the mock up bucker I did with the cheaper bobbins in the post to you during the week. You can try it out as a compariso9n. I can even stick an A4 in there for you which may clean things up a little. You can return it when you are done or whatever...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:26 am JD, if you want. I can drop the mock up bucker I did with the cheaper bobbins in the post to you during the week. You can try it out as a compariso9n. I can even stick an A4 in there for you which may clean things up a little. You can return it when you are done or whatever...
Don't worry about it, mate. I'm totally happy with the pickup. Particularly after wiring the JB into that other guitar... I can't belive I persevered with that pickup for so long!

What's an A4?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Jesus, the JB pup is fucking disgusting. Sounds like a 13-year-old with his first solid-state amp. How did this pickup sell so many units?

Mutt pup sounds great.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:31 am Jesus, the JB pup is fucking disgusting. Sounds like a 13-year-old with his first solid-state amp. How did this pickup sell so many units?

Mutt pup sounds great.
I think the JB is a monkey-see-monkey-do pickup. It's old, legendary, and mindless guitar players just copy one another. And you know, anything associated with Jeff Beck is gonna excite most guitar players. 40+ years ago amps were pretty tame, so a smoldering hot mud bomb pickup pushed them pretty well. Modern amps don't need pickups that hot but guitar players can't help sticking to old habits and copying each other.
Rebel Yell