JD's Mutt Pup

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

Re: JD's Mutt Pup

Post by muttley »

To be fair the JB was designed for a different age and mostly for screamin 70's lead playing. It's prolly OK for that but nut very subtle or versatile.

JD an A4 = Alnico 4. In principle it should free up a bit more clarity without too much grunt.The trade off is a slight loss of gain but you have plenty there with your setup so it was just an idea. We can visit it again later maybe... The offers there. That pup is just sat on my shelf for now until I put it up on ebay...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:40 am
Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:42 am

Yup, both pretty murky and flubby, but the Mutt Pup has way better clarity and smoothness to me.
Yeah, I think I prefer the boosted tone as it stops the flub. But it does lose a bit to much bottom end.
I heard no flub bub. Like none. If i am going to be honest, i don't like what that SD-1 does to your tones. I've never not liked your tones and can hear good tone living in there, but have always suspected that whats doing your tone an injustice is something in the signal chain leading up to the amp. I am confident it is the SD-1 that is virus my ears aren't digging. I know you like your set up and what i have to say won't mean much but hear me out.

If i could find a word that best describes what my ears hear is a "choked tone". And all i mean by that doesn't mean it's bad per se, it is just having essential sound being choked out of your sound. The difference i hear between the mutt no boost tone and everything else is what i am assuming you are calling flub. That SD-1 is robbing your sound some of the cab timbre, air movement and general life and just leaving you with some gain and really focused over detailed sound of gain. I had a Metal Zone 2 once in my life and while that pedal was shit in and off itself, it too also "choked out" my sound.

I don't think the JB was doing you any favors either clearly, but that pedal is sort of a plague too. I REALLY like that mutt pup tone with no boost man. Honestly, it's sort of the best i think of your offerings that i have liked. Granted, i miss a shitload of listenable material from everyone, but yea, that muttpupnoboost = :coolstorybro:
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

The main problem with the JB to my ears is that it makes the lower end very flabby. That is a problem with all overwound pickups as well. The lower end tend to get mushy and indistinct. The more uniform the wind and the more copper on the bobbin the more it seems to do that. Despite being an acoustics guy that bit of science is not in my skill set so I cant give any explanation other than general observation.

I have never used or played with an "SD-1" so cant comment on that.One thing I am confident about having herad the clips JD posted is that the MuttBucker will sit better in the mix and be easier to work with because it is tighter and clearer without getting all "flubby". Muddy flubber in the low end always transfer to the mix regardless of how you try to isolate and remove it. It's the nature of the beast. At least for me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:17 pm The main problem with the JB to my ears is that it makes the lower end very flabby. That is a problem with all overwound pickups as well. The lower end tend to get mushy and indistinct. The more uniform the wind and the more copper on the bobbin the more it seems to do that. Despite being an acoustics guy that bit of science is not in my skill set so I cant give any explanation other than general observation.

I have never used or played with an "SD-1" so cant comment on that.One thing I am confident about having herad the clips JD posted is that the MuttBucker will sit better in the mix and be easier to work with because it is tighter and clearer without getting all "flubby". Muddy flubber in the low end always transfer to the mix regardless of how you try to isolate and remove it. It's the nature of the beast. At least for me.
Agreed. That's my issue with all hot overwound pickups. The low end mush from the pickup itself bugs the shit out of me. Every JB I've personally ever played with made me want to throw it in a fire and then bury the ashes. It's like the worst pickup ever! Lol. I can't believe so many people like those things. There will never be any hope for humanity as long as the JB pickup exists. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Agreed.............
Thats why us two are so insufferably awesome. :punk: :guru: :sherlock: :coolstorybro: :chillin
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've done one full mix (new song) with the Mutt pup and I've not posted it yet as I want to post it up with vocals. But I'm really happy with it. I'll post it up if you're interested. Bubba's heard it I yhink.