JD's Mutt Pup

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

JD01

Re: JD's Mutt Pup

Post by JD01 »

Great. Cheers, Mutt. No hurry, I won't be able to install it and lay down some tones until next Saturday anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very awesome! Can't wait to hear it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'll make sure I lay down a bunch of clips with the JB first and keep my mic placement, amp, pedals etc exactly the same before the new clips.

I'm just genuinely curious to see how much difference this makes.
I've changed the shitty muffled speaker.
I've got to grips with the EQ of the amp.
After swapping out the JB, the only thing left will be the little combo cab - hopefully I won't feel like I need to.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:16 am I'll make sure I lay down a bunch of clips with the JB first and keep my mic placement, amp, pedals etc exactly the same before the new clips.

After swapping out the JB, the only thing left will be the little combo cab - hopefully I won't feel like I need to.
I've always thought you've had a confluence of things working against you. Hot muddy pickup, too much gain, dark mushy amp, no headroom, tiny cab, low volume. All of these things conspire to fuck up a guitar sound. But you do pretty good at making do with it. I think this new pickup will alleviate at least one of the things that I believe work against you.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:22 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:16 am I'll make sure I lay down a bunch of clips with the JB first and keep my mic placement, amp, pedals etc exactly the same before the new clips.

I've always thought you've had a confluence of things working against you. Hot muddy pickup, too much gain, dark mushy amp, no headroom, tiny cab, low volume. All of these things conspire to fuck up a guitar sound. But you do pretty good at making do with it. I think this new pickup will alleviate at least one of the things that I believe work against you.
Yeha, but you live and learn if I could stretch to a V30 and 2x12 I would - that'll still be the ultimate goal, I don't think I'll ever be able to justify the 25W Mesas - just too expensive. I don't use much gain these days, have the volume as high as is sensible a home and have dialed the worst of the darkness out of the amp. The pickup should be another step in the right direction. Adding a 2nd mic which is much more in the hi mid has really helped too, just a slight blend. Its the low mids that are the problem with the Blackstar.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Guys can you lot check my working here...

I have just sent JD the following regarding the colour code for hooking this up.. It would help you can check my working. My colour codes are:

Adjustable coil

Start = Black
Finish = Green

Slug coil

Start = Red
Finish = White

Screw coil is south up.

Duncan list their Buckers as in the link below

Seymour Duncan colour code - Buckers...

So

On JD's guitar he needs to swap the following (Duncan colours first mine in brackets)

Adjustable coil

Start = Green (Black)
Finish = Red (Green)

Slug coil

Start = Black (Red)
Finish = White (White)

Braid always goes to ground.

That would be a direct swap without changing any of the other possible options....
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Brilliant. Cheers, I'm sure I'll manage it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 2:23 pm Guys can you lot check my working here...

I have just sent JD the following regarding the colour code for hooking this up.. It would help you can check my working. My colour codes are:

Adjustable coil

Start = Black
Finish = Green

Slug coil

Start = Red
Finish = White

Screw coil is south up.

Duncan list their Buckers as in the link below

Seymour Duncan colour code - Buckers...

So

On JD's guitar he needs to swap the following (Duncan colours first mine in brackets)

Adjustable coil

Start = Green (Black)
Finish = Red (Green)

Slug coil

Start = Black (Red)
Finish = White (White)

Braid always goes to ground.

That would be a direct swap without changing any of the other possible options....
Yup looks correct!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mutt Pup Arrives.jpg
Mutt Pup.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Will be fitting it and doing the tone testing on the weekend.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome! Looks great.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Fuck me that was quick.I only posted it at 1pm yesterday...

Whatever happens with our coming election I hope they dont re-nationalise Royal Mail...:)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 9:14 am Fuck me that was quick.I only posted it at 1pm yesterday...

Whatever happens with our coming election I hope they dont re-nationalise Royal Mail...:)
Yeah, I find most of the mail/courier companies work pretty well really.

Don't think there's any call to re-nationalise the Mail. There's a real market there where we have choice and it seems to work.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, JB Reference tones recorded. Time to vandalise my best guitar.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It lives!
muttley

Post by muttley »

So you hooked it up OK?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - just uploading the clip comparison now
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, so got my MuttBucker wired in. Few minor issues, the screw holes in the MuttBucker were slightly smaller than in the Duncan so I had to improvise with some different screws, Brass instead of annodised black ones - this is the only difference in the rig other than the pickup! :lollers:

In the mixes humbuckers are always on the left, split coils are always on the right - I always do it like that so I know where I am when I'm re-tracking stuff.
Mix JB.mp3
Mix Mutt Pup.mp3
JB Hum Solo.mp3
Mutt Pup Hum Solo.mp3
JB Split Solo.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Will only let me upload 5 attachements; here's the final clip
Mutt Pup Split Solo.mp3
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Initial observations.
They both sound relatively similar in a mix which is good, but the Mutt Pup mix is noticably less muddy so the guitars generally sound clearer. Win!
First big difference I noticed was comparing the humbuckers solo'd - massive difference in tone, Mutt Pup is much less muddy without losing that much gain.
There's a similar differnce with the split coils, although not as pronounced as the Duncan wasn't muddy when split anyway. Main thing I noticed here was a much bigger reduction in gain between splitting the mutt-bucker and splitting the JB.
The Mutt-pup is slightly lower volume than the JB and I didn't compensate when mixing it, everything is identical.

The only thing any of the guitars have on is a slight bit of reverb for the mix, but its a pretty dry mix anyway.