Mutt90 Soapbar - Vintage spec - Gerg

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

Mutt90 Soapbar - Vintage spec - Gerg

Post by muttley »

When gerg asked me to spin up a Dogear Mutt90 for his buddies project Chibson that they are putting together he also asked me to make up a soapbar Mutt90 to similar spec for his own SG. The bobbin and wind are exactly the same as the wind on the dogear Mutt 90 HERE. There is no need to relpicate the content of that post but this thread is here so we can see the thing coming together and also so that if and when gerg has time to do some sound samples we can post them here and make them easier to find in future.

Spec:

Nickle baseplate.
Forbon handmade bobbin
42 AWG wire.
Wound to around 7.5K -8k
Alnico V
Braided pull back wire
Counter clockwise wound south up polarity.
Nickel Fillister head slugs
Lightly potted.
black cover.

Below is the final assembley starting with the bobbin on the baseplate ready for soldering up the hookup wires.
Gerg_soapbar_assembly_1.jpg
All solderd up and in it's cover. Everything fits and tomorrow I will be potting this baby up ready for testing and sending out...
Gerg_soapbar_!.jpg
Gerg wanted both to match the output of the Dogear Mutt90. Not too hot and not too cold, We aimed for something around the 7.5k - 8K range hopefully coming out below 8k... We did good.
Gerg_soapbar_impedance.jpg
This will be in the mail this week and with any luck the gerg will have a hold of it for testing and critique sometime after Easter...

Tones to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: Mutt90 Soapbar - Vintage spec - Gerg

Post by Greg_L »

Ah didn't see this before I commented on the dogear thread.

Very great Mutt! That's looking perfect. Can't wait to try it out.

One thing...this soapbar will see very loud live action and live loud recording action, so if you think potting it a little more would help, I leave it up to your judgement. You do what you think is best. A little noise and the good kind of feedback doesn't bother me one bit.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK mate I'll give a light poting of the coil and then pot the thing with the magnets and plates on. It's those that cause a lot of the problems as well. If it is no good I can always chuck another one your way down the road as a swap. Potting now...
muttley

Post by muttley »

I finally got a spare few moments to pot this coils today and the right cloth black tape arrived so this is now done...

Final few pics..

Old school potting. I didnt want to break out the big wax bath (slow cooker) just for a few two bobbins so I wacked the old pot on and dunked the thing in potting wax.

Gerg_p90_bobbin_potting.jpg

Once dry and cooled down the final cleaning up of tthe bobbin is done and a protective wrap of cloth tape is added around the oil.

It's done.

I need an address buddy? Where you want these things sent? PM me.

Gerg_p90_bobbin_done.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome! PM coming....
Rebel Yell
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Just send it to:

Greg,
America
muttley

Post by muttley »

Does it really need the "America" bit...?
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

muttley wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:36 am Does it really need the "America" bit...?
Just to be sure.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:murcah:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

They are on their way... Should be with you early next week.

Let me know...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 am They are on their way... Should be with you early next week.

Let me know...
Fucking awesome. Thanks Mutt!
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The mailman came today!

Great packaging mutt! Nice case. Couple little cracks in the case, I don't even care and they did fly halfway around the world, so no big deal at all. The pickups themselves look perfect. Clean, nice braided wire, everything is solid. Thanks a lot buddy.

So the dogear install will be delayed as the guitar isn't even here yet. But my soapbar will go in one day this week and I'll have tones up ASAP.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Lovely. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dang!!!! Those look like little beauties.

I think i have to decide on what i want quick before offer expires.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

You got them in an old case that came with some MEC active pickups I had kicking about. It was easier than packing them up in one of my nice little wooden boxes which would have cost more for postage. Glad you got em and I look forward to your comments once you've had a chance to wack em up to 11... I only tested them at about 3 or 4...:)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:44 am You got them in an old case that came with some MEC active pickups I had kicking about. It was easier than packing them up in one of my nice little wooden boxes which would have cost more for postage. Glad you got em and I look forward to your comments once you've had a chance to wack em up to 11... I only tested them at about 3 or 4...:)
Yeah I really don't care about the case. I only mentioned it for your information in the event you have to ship some around the world again. The case is actually fine, it just has a few small cracks in it. Seems like my package had a pretty rough trip. Just something to keep in mind for your future shipping consideration. :sherlock:

I might be able to get the soapbar popped in today. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

I would be interested to know how much damage it got in transit and what sort of handling it had. I was assured by the guy in the Post Office that I didnt need to double bag it which is what I was going to do. In future I will... Anyhoo, glad they got to you OK and I hope you get on with them. Even if not objective feedback just as good as praise... I'm sure you will be able to coax some awesomeness from them though, and if you manage to get them onto a tune sometime you'd be the first on record for Mutt*Pups and straight into music history alongside as the first to record on my guits.... :punk:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 am I would be interested to know how much damage it got in transit and what sort of handling it had. I was assured by the guy in the Post Office that I didnt need to double bag it which is what I was going to do. In future I will... Anyhoo, glad they got to you OK and I hope you get on with them. Even if not objective feedback just as good as praise... I'm sure you will be able to coax some awesomeness from them though, and if you manage to get them onto a tune sometime you'd be the first on record for Mutt*Pups and straight into music history alongside as the first to record on my guits.... :punk:
Haha, I can and I will! :coolstorybro: :metal:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ok Mutt, I got the process started today. I recorded some clips from clean to crunch to mega-gain with the basic stock P90 in my SG. Tomorrow I'll swap in the Mutt90 and do the same clips and we'll see how they compare.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

A good idea.... :coolstorybro: