ok .... a Mutt P'up thread ....

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Lt. Bob

Re: ok .... a Mutt P'up thread ....

Post by Lt. Bob »

sounds awesome to me!
muttley

Post by muttley »

OK, I'm on it...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Ive finally managed to get all the required parts for LT's MuttBucker which will be the first of his items to hit the bench alongside JD's MuttBucker...

The delay has largely been down to the bobbins. As stated earlier in the thread I found a source for white ABS bobbins as none of my usual suppliers carried them. Well it turns out they arrived and were real shite. I have now found a btter supplier and got them this week.

Below all the parts required

LTBRIDGEBUCKER1.jpg

The decent bobbins are the lower ones in the pic. You may not be able to see much of a difference but if you could handle them you would....

Last chance to make any changes LT this thing is hitting the winder this evening. I'm going to be aiming for around 8.5K with a slight missmatch of 10% between bobbins. That should blend well with the neck pup which will be around 7.6k. The screw bobbin will get the larger turn count....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

oh man, that's gonna be so cool and unique.
I'm starting to get a bit excited!!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome!
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:31 pm oh man, that's gonna be so cool and unique.
I'm starting to get a bit excited!!
I did a dry fit with the bobbins in the chrome open case and it does look pretty cool even without the pole pieces. I'm thinking this one needs a name that will be LT based so infuture people will be going "Man....I got me some Lt's in there..."....;)

TBH the one thing I'm still fretting on is the string spacing as we are flying with my calcultions from the dimensions you sent me. Not that we are wrong just that I always measure twice... Old habits are hard to break and I'm all twitchy.:redface:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Here you go a little teaser...
LTBRIDGEBUCKER2.jpg
The Mutt90 will be in the same case with a fake white ABS plastic top to match the bucker.... with pole screws visible of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

thats really cool and interesting
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm gonna have the coolest guitar on my block!

being owned by me just ratchets up its coolness.
muttley

Post by muttley »

You is gonna be the iceman.

I spent yesterday evening do a test wind on the crap bobbins to get an idea of how it's all gonna go together and to get an idea of how those covers are gonna fit.

I'm getting to really like this look.

LTBUCKER3.jpg
LTBUCKER4.jpg
muttley

Post by muttley »

I'm going to wire this up later and play around with magnet types so I can give you an idea of how it sounds with each type.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I like it. Are you gonna "pot" those coils into the chrome cover so it all stays together?
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

My plan was to pot the coils and then install the cover. There is plenty of cloth tape around them to stop anything rattling around, The cover gets held on with a spot of solder to the baseplate so that should handle that. TBH I dont think it would make too much odds either way as long as nothing in there i loose. For now as I'm messing with magnet swaps I will just do the coils.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

that's so freakin' cool ..... I have tomorrow off ...... gonna work on the 335 ..... it's gonna be awesome looking ..... I was gonna get clear speed knobs but maybe white?
muttley

Post by muttley »

Sorry about the dealys again Lt, Ive been clearing my bench with paying work and have family visiting at the moment so a bit pressed..

Anyhoo, I'm back on pups for the rest of the week now and have just completed your MuttBucker for the bridge...
LTBRIDGEBUCKER3.jpg
A video and more pics will follow hopefully this evening. I'm going to drop you a PM with a thought Ive been having regards the Mutt90 and alsoabout the pup surrounds.

Watch this space.. I'm about to wind up JD's next and will post that up as well later
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Man that looks cool.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 am Man that looks cool.
i'm thinking they would look really cool as a p90 style with a rail instead of pole pieces and on a surf style guit..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's a really interesting looking pickup - it looks very "custom" which I suppose is exactly what it is.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Heres the reverse shot showing some of mutts new features.

Note especially the gold plated brass bobbin screws and nickel silver baseplate. Improving on vintage, thats where its at people...:)

the second pup is the one I initially wound with the shite quality bobbins. Ive been testing out magnets in it for a week or so and have decided to stick with the Alnico 4 we originally spec'd for this. plenty of punch but not too brittle and also takes the edge off the brash sound of a stock bridge bucker....
LTBRIDGEBUCKER5.jpg
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:43 am That's a really interesting looking pickup - it looks very "custom" which I suppose is exactly what it is.
Yeh it pretty much is. More bespoke than custom but yeh...

I'm on yours now. Stay tuned. How hot you want it? I recon we can go to about 11k safely without making a muddy one trick pony. You wanted around 10.4 right?