ok .... a Mutt P'up thread ....

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

Re: ok .... a Mutt P'up thread ....

Post by muttley »

The p90/humbucker (neck position) kind of has to have a cover so I assume you mean the bridge pup cover. Unless we come up with a bespoke design. I can do that. You dont need one on a humbucker but I suggested an open cover as a little bit of metal round there can knock the edge off the highs which is what makes the bridge position so brash. I was thinking maybe an open top humbucker cover. Open covers just have the top part where the bobbin shows removed. You've seen them I'm sure... Like the toaster covers but completely open on top.

Having a metal cover as you prolly know affects the resonant peak response much like going from a 250k pot to a 500k pot does. Its all a bit quirky but I was aiming to try and give you a bridge sound that you find useable especially in tandem with the neck pup. No biggie, it can be open and you can likely achieve the same thing with careful choice of pots and capacitors.

Have a think and let me know, its all good.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:21 pm The p90/humbucker (neck position) kind of has to have a cover so I assume you mean the bridge pup cover. Unless we come up with a bespoke design. I can do that. You dont need one on a humbucker but I suggested an open cover as a little bit of metal round there can knock the edge off the highs which is what makes the bridge position so brash. I was thinking maybe an open top humbucker cover.
AHHHH!! He said as he was enlightened!

Gotcha ..... I've seen that before. When you said open top I was thinking open coil .... yeah, open top sounds great.
I'm comfortable with your suggestions .... this is an area I don't have expertise in and I know you know your stuff.
If you can give me a bridge I like, then you will officially be Mr. Pickup.
Basically on the technical details I want to do exactly what you came up with after thinking about it .... so all of those details will be perfect.

And I like uncommon things a lot ..... you don't see open tops very much at all .... people will ask about it ..... "Well, my friend in the U.K. " ..... immediately I'm more interesting!

And I hadn't thought about P90s needing covers ..... actually hadn't thought of P90s at all until your initial thoughts .... but it sounds like a perfect neck. I love my P-Rail P90 setting on the Stinnett.

So ..... cream P90 if possible .... black if not of course. Open top bucker for bridge ..... bobbin color cream?
Coil splitting on bridge and coil tap on P90.

Now .... since I'm matching a P90 and a bucker do I need different values on the pots or caps?

On the stop bar ..... I really like the idea of a wooden stop bar.

Ebony or maple? If they'll sound similar then maple since the git is maple .... I'm kinda going for as 'ghost' guitar. That's why I mention the cream p'up thing. The maple is very white ..... I'm gonna use no stain at all .... just clear ... clear knobs and cream pickups ..... I have in mind a guitar that's just sort of a featureless blur of light maple/cream. I'm leaving the headstock face maple even.
So a maple bar would blend right in.

Of course, if you feel there's a good reason to go ebony then that'd be cool too.
Also ..... if you're not able to do both p'ups in cream, then I'd probably want to go ebony to balanced the black p'up.
So it may be silly but some decisions are gonna be mostly aesthetics and will depend on the p'ups color.

I'll get you some accurate measurements in the next day or so ...... get my micrometers out.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Something else has occurred to me ... I'm sure the route is for a bucker .... how do we mount the P90 in a bucker sized route?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 pm Something else has occurred to me ... I'm sure the route is for a bucker .... how do we mount the P90 in a bucker sized route?
I don't mean to answer for Mutt, but that first P90 he made for Bubba was humbucker-sized.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ah ..... thank ye' sir!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:04 pm Something else has occurred to me ... I'm sure the route is for a bucker .... how do we mount the P90 in a bucker sized route?
It's gona be a p90 in a humbucker case.What I have termed the B90 the same as I did for bubba..

Like this but in cream....
b90_Chrome_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 pm

So ..... cream P90 if possible .... black if not of course. Open top bucker for bridge ..... bobbin color cream?
Coil splitting on bridge and coil tap on P90.

Now .... since I'm matching a P90 and a bucker do I need different values on the pots or caps?

Cream covers and bobbins is not a problem. We can chat about choice of caps and pots down the road. As with all things they can make a difference. I will have a tinker with the pups when I have them ready and maybe give you some observations. essentially they are quite an easy and inexpensive swap out if you really dont get on with what you have. A lot will be in your amp settings though and how much you can dial in there. Think of it like a painting, the pups, guitar wood, pots and caps are your paint, the amp is your canvass and you are the brush...:)
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 pm
On the stop bar ..... I really like the idea of a wooden stop bar.

Ebony or maple? If they'll sound similar then maple since the git is maple .... I'm kinda going for as 'ghost' guitar. That's why I mention the cream p'up thing. The maple is very white ..... I'm gonna use no stain at all .... just clear ... clear knobs and cream pickups ..... I have in mind a guitar that's just sort of a featureless blur of light maple/cream. I'm leaving the headstock face maple even.
So a maple bar would blend right in.

Of course, if you feel there's a good reason to go ebony then that'd be cool too.
Also ..... if you're not able to do both p'ups in cream, then I'd probably want to go ebony to balanced the black p'up.
So it may be silly but some decisions are gonna be mostly aesthetics and will depend on the p'ups color.

I'll get you some accurate measurements in the next day or so ...... get my micrometers out.
Maple would be an easy option. Hell, I can prolly knock up one in each... Maple, Rosewood and ebony.. It's just some scrap from my bin box and an hour or so.. Again if you dont like the way they sound you can swap it out easily.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

OK .... sounds awesome ..... it'd be very interesting to see how much difference the stop bar might make.
I could do clips each time I changed strings and stop bars and then in a few months we'd have a good comparison set of clips .... that'd be cool.

There won't be any swapping out though ..... now that I'm committed to this I won't even bother putting anything else in .... I'm in no rush .... time doesn't matter. I have 14 guitars and I haven't even glued the neck on this one yet.
So I'll just wait till you get a chance to do these and there are several ahead of me .... take your time man.

But I'll just leave the thing acousic unril life gives you enough of a break to do these.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 am OK .... sounds awesome ..... it'd be very interesting to see how much difference the stop bar might make.
I could do clips each time I changed strings and stop bars and then in a few months we'd have a good comparison set of clips .... that'd be cool.

There won't be any swapping out though ..... now that I'm committed to this I won't even bother putting anything else in .... I'm in no rush .... time doesn't matter. I have 14 guitars and I haven't even glued the neck on this one yet.
So I'll just wait till you get a chance to do these and there are several ahead of me .... take your time man.

But I'll just leave the thing acousic unril life gives you enough of a break to do these.
I'd be intrerested in your thoughts on the wooden stop bar as well. I use them exclusively on my jazz boxes now and I think they add an earthy woody response, certainly in terms of feel which is a lot of the game reall, feeling the wood connect as you play. Admittedly they are trapeze style but I think similar principles should apply. We shall see, you tell me..

I have a few Muttbuckers to do n the next week or so and JD is up for one as well so I will prolly tag it on with those. The p90 I am geared up for and have some stuff pre-made from the last bunch like bobbins.. If you're in no rush thats OK, but if you ask my misses, you DO NOT want to be on my "To Do" list...;)

Can you let me know what the string spacing is on this? Traditional 335? or something else. I'm hoping it' the usual Gibbo 48mm neck 50mm bridge or 50mm neck 52mm bridge if it's one of their fatter sets.... In days gone by Gibson just chucked 50mm in both neck and bridge but I like to get the detail right... Then we can crack on with this Motherbucker..:)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yessir .... I'll measure it before I go to bed tonight
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

OK ..... I just measured the stop bar that came with the kit.
I think I can assume that's gonna fit.

The overall length of the bar is 4 inches.
The slots in the bar for the posts are 5/16"
The measurement between the two outer edges of those slots is 3 1/2"
The measurement between the two inner edges of those slots is 2 7/8"
muttley

Post by muttley »

Pole pice centres for the neck and bridge?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

you mean where the strings pass over the magnets?

If so .... gonna be a week or so before I can get that .... I've never even test mounted the neck ... no chance I get to that until Sunday earliest.
muttley

Post by muttley »

No need to fit the neck, just let me know the nut width and the saddle spacing. I can work out from that. Its either 48/50mm or 50/52mm (neck/bridge)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ok ..... I'll get that to ya' in the next day or so .... headed out right now.

I did forget to measure the thickness of the stop bar where it mounts on the post. I'm sure it's standard but nonetheless it's 1/4"
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

the fretboard at the nut is a HAIR (really, literally a hair ) under 1 and 11/16"
... you could just call it 1 11/16th and be fine but I want to be precise and it is acruallt ever so little less .

On the pre-slotted bridge they sent ( again I'm assuming they sent something that's correct ) the distance from the little E slot to the large E slot is 2 and 1/32"
muttley

Post by muttley »

Cool, thats 48mm neck and 50mm bridge. If I'm wrong I'll do em again...;)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah, I actually looked for a good mm ruler but I didn't have one so I went with the most accurate I had which was in inches
muttley

Post by muttley »

I grew up using metric, imperial and inches and 10ths so I'm comfortable with all of them. Generally for small sizes use metric for larger measurements use Imperial, for accuracy use inch and 10ths.. Why? because the numbers are easier to carry in your head. Thats what I was told and it's true. Inches and 10ths because that is what the aero and car industry used to work to all over the globe to avoid error in translation, they adopted their own standard.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Hey Lt, Ive been setting up to do your pups along with JD's zebera humbucker.

I've found a source for white bobbins. I know you were interested in keeping this thing as (ghost) white as possible. You want me to use them instead of cream. I can then put them in a chrome open cover and it should look really cool.

I've also had an idea to match the Mutt90 bobbin in an open case as well by using a thin sheet of white perspex on top with pole screw holes cut in it to mask the black forbon bobbin. The pair should look really cool like that. What say you? If you are up for it I'll tag the order and get it later this week to start on them. You'd also be the only player in the world with a set of pups that look that way.....

Let me know.