Mutt*Pups. FAQ

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

Mutt*Pups. FAQ

Post by muttley »

OK guys and gals, many of you know me from old and other forums so whats all this Mutt*Pups thing about?

Who is Mutt?

As a guitar builder I have always looked for ways to make the instruments I make both better and more unique. One of the ways to achieve that is to make as many of the components by hand and to your own design and specification. For years I used pickups that were made by others and it always seemed to me that if you spent a lot of time selecting and working the timber and designing every little detail of the main body of the guitar why would you then cast all that aside and fit an off the shelf pickup or pickups?

What does he do?

With that in mind I started on the quest to take more control of the pickups and how best to "pull out" the sound of the guitar that is in there that just needs to be released. I started making pickups for archtop jazz guitars because that was mostly what I was building at the time and still do. The choice of pickups on the market was small and largely pretty bland. That led me to winding my own pickups and exploring the wonderful world of pickup design.

Today I wind and build pickups for just about any guitar and am happy to discuss what needs you may have or put together a set that will work together. All the specs on the pickups you will see here can be changed and that's what I do. Make changes to the design and specifications so that you get what you want.

How do I get my Paws on a Mutt*Pup?

Post up a thread if you want to discuss putting together a pickup that suits your guitar and your ears and not one that suits the manufacturing method and costs of a faceless factory..

Why is this Forum here and not in the general Market place?

Your Under appreciated Administrator WhiskeyJack contacted me about maybe sorting something out to promote the pickups here at The Recording Rebels. We chatted about a few options and decided that the best way forward was to keep all the action on this in one place rather than spilling over into the wider discussion boards. That doesn't mean you cant discuss them there, of course you can but this board right here will serve as a central point from which hopefully the main bones will be chewed over. The tone thread and guitar mods that follow can be discussed wherever you like. Questions, comments reviews and the like should mostly be done here if that's ok.

What will a Mutt*Pup cost me?

Here's the thing. As I am just branching out into the wider world of marketing Mutt*Pups, much like this site is just starting out, There is an opportunity to help out both causes. What I intend to do is to offer the Custom Pickup winding service to the members here at cost for a short period. I will give you a quote by PM and you can either stick or twist, your call. In broad terms we are talking the cost of a few CD'S (remember them) or a few takeaways all though it does depend on the complexity of the pickup and how much the parts cost. I promise you that you will not get a new hand wound pickup to your spec cheaper anywhere. The offer will start now and run for three months. We can review it then.

What does Mutt get from the deal?

Starting out in any venture takes time and exposure. When I started building and repairing guitars it took me ten years to establish a full time living at it. What I get from this is exposure, reviews and recommendations hopefully. All I ask in return is that you give me those if you like the pickups.

What do The Recording Rebels get from the deal?

WhiskeyJack didnt want or ask for anything in return. I however like to put a little back so apart from the obvious benefit of posts, sound clips, traffic and pickup discussions, I have committed to donate 10% of the monies to the site to help cover costs. that way we all benefit and we all pay a small amount to keep this place active and moving forward.

What if I dont like my Mutt*Pup?

Send it back to me. We aint gonna fall out over a few quid. Life is too short.

How do I pay?

I'm in the process of setting up a little website that will eventually be used for selling Mutt*Pups to the wider world. There will be a PayPal option on that and I can either send you a link or an invoice. Contrary to popular myth Mutt does not accept payment in beer..

If you are a regular here you pay once the thing is with you and you have had a chance to check it out. If you are new or no one can stand a reference for you I may ask for money up front.

I want to have a go at winding my own pickups. Can I do that?

Sure you can, I will help in any way I can. I started winding pickups about five years ago so I have the learning curve done. It aint easy but its rewarding and possible if that's your thing. Just ask for advice here.

What if I have other questions about Mutt*Pups?

As them here. I will be updating this FAQ and adding to it as time passes.

Ok, have at it..
Greg_L

Re: Mutt*Pups. FAQ

Post by Greg_L »

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Awesome, mutt. I hope it all goes great.

For the rest of you, get in line, I got two orders already in!
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Hopefully I will be starting those tomorrow if the missing ingredients arrive in the post. One of us needs to kick off the inaugural thread.:)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Great stuff, I hope it all gets off the ground, mate. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

:coolstorybro: You'll probably get an order off me on pay day, mate.

I like the way you capitalised the H in He as if to deify yourself. :coolstorybro:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 pm Great stuff, I hope it all gets off the ground, mate. :)
You got the #1 "Official Mutt*Pup". When I'm rich and famous thats gotta count for something ..:)
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 pm :coolstorybro: You'll probably get an order off me on pay day, mate.

Just shout out here fella, always here and happy to help.
JD01 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:10 pm

I like the way you capitalised the H in He as if to deify yourself. :coolstorybro:
Careful now, dont give me ideas... :coolstorybro:

EDIT: FIFY..
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pm
Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:57 pm Great stuff, I hope it all gets off the ground, mate. :)
You got the #1 "Official Mutt*Pup". When I'm rich and famous thats gotta count for something ..:)
I'd love a little "Mutt*Pups" sig in copperplate script on the cover. :biggrin:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm
muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pm

Hmmm, leave that with me....
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:28 pm
Bubba wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Hmmm, leave that with me....
For some reason I don't have a copperplate font loaded.
P1020025copy copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

I have a vacuum press. One day I i'll set about making embossed covers.

However, thats window dressing. Maybe I will just issue each pickup with a unique key fob dog tag...:)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Hmmm. Have an idea I may chat to you about.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Armistice wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:56 pm Hmmm. Have an idea I may chat to you about.
Any time mate..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mutt,

This is what House of Tone were going to make for me
10.5k, Alnico 5 with polysol wire. It's a medium output for a touch of gain but good treb and bass response and dynamic string to string balance.
Comes with 4 conductor wiring, wax potting and lifetime warranty.

I'll want it black (hmmm, maybe a black and cream would look nice), uncovered and it will be mounted straight onto the body with with no pickup ring.

He also said something about the magnet being fully charged or 85% charged and something to do with inductance and that fully charged would probably suit me better.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 am Mutt,

10.5k, Alnico 5 with polysol wire. It's a medium output for a touch of gain but good treb and bass response and dynamic string to string balance.

I'll want it black (hmmm, maybe a black and cream would look nice), uncovered and it will be mounted straight onto the body with with no pickup ring.

He also said something about the magnet being fully charged or 85% charged and something to do with inductance and that fully charged would probably suit me better.
Hey JD,

Can you do me a favour and start a new thread for this, that way it would make it easier for me to respond and keep the conversion flow going a bit better. Otherwise I will always be running through this thread trying to find details.

Sorry to be a pain but there are a few on the go right now and they are both via PM here and in other threads.....

In short, we can do that no problem..

To all others, ditto if you could start a thread for inquiries , questions or builds that would be good all round.

Thanks guys.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:10 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 am Mutt,

Hey JD,

Can you do me a favour and start a new thread for this, that way it would make it easier for me to respond and keep the conversion flow going a bit better. Otherwise I will always be running through this thread trying to find details.

Sorry to be a pain but there are a few on the go right now and they are both via PM here and in other threads.....

In short, we can do that no problem..

To all others, ditto if you could start a thread for inquiries , questions or builds that would be good all round.

Thanks guys.
No worries - will add it to my pickup choice thread.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Do it in this board mate, That way it will stay where we can find it. Link to the pickup thread would be good..
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

muttley wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:23 am Do it in this board mate, That way it will stay where we can find it. Link to the pickup thread would be good..
It's going to be in three places, now. We may have to TK421 a couple of them. :D
muttley

Post by muttley »

Nah, the idea WhiskeJ and I discussed was that we try and keep most of the relevant build and design stuff in here. Then link back. As I said in the OP it's bound to get cross posted but hey ho...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Is there a way you can "stamp" (or whatever) your pickups with a little mutt so they're recognisable as yours?

Little dog head shaped magnets? Let me know if you need more help with the marketing... I'm full of good ideas. :biggrin: