My first EP

General recording topics.
liv_rong

My first EP

Post by liv_rong »

Im working on my first EP and this seemed like the most appropriate place to talk about it. Im doing it with the bass player from the band Im in. Im playing guitars and drums and recording it. I had a few more songs I wanted to use but they didnt fit the vibe right so now its just going to be 3 songs and then Ill write some more and hopefully we can do a full album next year or something. So far the songs are done and scratch tracks have been done and Im working on writing drum parts now. Once I have the drums down Ill record them and then we'll re-record everything else to the drums. This is the scratch tracks if you're interested in hearing the sound Im going for. Once the drums are recorded it will change everything but you'll get an idea with this at least. Excuse the tube rattle heard in a few of these, Ive since replaced the tubes and sold the amp. I cant wait to get into the actual guitar tones of this since I have a few more pedals and a new amp to play around with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: My first EP

Post by Greg_L »

Wow you really like some delay. Pretty interesting. Very ambient and shit. I don't know how to describe it as it's pretty far removed from anything I'm into. I like the end of "newdelay". Lol. Good luck with it. I'll stay tuned for some drums.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ha thanks man! I really would like to get to a place of chill ambient like textures and build into rocking heavy stuff. I feel like I kind of got there with "new delay" but it's not exactly what I hear in my head. Music is hard lol.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm Ha thanks man! I really would like to get to a place of chill ambient like textures and build into rocking heavy stuff. I feel like I kind of got there with "new delay" but it's not exactly what I hear in my head. Music is hard lol.
The good thing is you can do whatever you want. Just fuck with it till you get there.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

what's the delay pedal? Sounds good.

what new amp?

I like this sorta stuff so i'll be watching as you develop it.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:56 pm what's the delay pedal? Sounds good.

what new amp?

I like this sorta stuff so i'll be watching as you develop it.
For "into" I'm using the Hall of Fame for one guitar and the other that comes in is the Earthquaker Devices Avalanche Run. On "new delay" I used a Joyo Digital Delay. The last one is a Strymon El Capistan and the Avalanche Run. The amp on all of those was the Blackstar Ht20 head into an Orange 1x12.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

cool ...... a delay demo!
I have a Hall of Fame which is a great poedal.

For my main delay i use an Akai headrush. It's a beautiful sounding delay but it's basically straight-up delay so i'm eyeing something like the Avelanch Run to get more spacey.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Cool!

So instrumentals, or are you adding vox too?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This stuff is awesome Liv!!! I love instrumental anything. And this has a bit of darkness to it. I'd spend some bucks on this. Kind of stoked to hear it with some drums into it.

Good work dude.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

After making it all the way through, it kind of has an Alcest or Pelican kind of vibe. I dig it.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Thanks guys! Yes, all instrumental. And Pelican are from around here, love those guys!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Liv - I've just listened to the two guitars scratch. And it sounds really fucking good. That's exactly the sort of thing I was trying to produce a few years ago (albeit quite heavy) but I just didn't have the production skills!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:21 am Liv - I've just listened to the two guitars scratch. And it sounds really fucking good. That's exactly the sort of thing I was trying to produce a few years ago (albeit quite heavy) but I just didn't have the production skills!
Thanks man!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Haven’t gotten anywhere with this yet haha. Been pretty busy with the band writing new songs and working those out. But I did recently get a better idea of drums for one of them. End part needs something different yet. Again, this is just rough stuff here, everything will be recorded and mixed properly later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0ozdd7fwjxh6 ... t.mp3?dl=0
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Finally getting to actual work on this. I have all the drums recorded and am starting on the guitars today. I'm experimenting a bit so we'll see how it turns out. So far Im pretty happy with the raw drum tracks. I used a bottom snare mic too, which seemed to help pick up on the ghost stuff I do.

For guitars I actually moved my drums off the riser and put my cab there and aimed back into all the treatment. Im using two sm57's on each speaker, one between the center and edge on axis and the other near the edge off axis pointing in. I also threw up an LDC a few feet back, going to experiment a bit with this one and see if it will add some texture to some of the spacier stuff or just more options, dont know yet.

Little vid with the scratch guits/bass and new drums(raw tracks):

How the cab is now, may change, we'll see:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Looks like you’re making some progress, post up some rough mixes.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Making some short little videos for no one besides you guys to watch.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHkS8WhZOSc[/BBvideo]
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very cool liver lips. I like your set up. I'm gonna be building my ceiling mount overheads any day now.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Just listened to the recordings in the OP. Sweet, sweet sounds man. I really like the two guitars scratch, very dream like, I just want to put on the headphones and disappear.

Thanks for the tour as well. You have a nice setup it looks like. Wish I had that kind of room to work in.