New mixing room - an "Oh Bollocks" story.

General recording topics.
Greg_L

Re: New mixing room - an "Oh Bollocks" story.

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome. How does it sound?
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 9:33 am Awesome. How does it sound?
It sounds really good, once I got over the initial shock of my last few mixes. :coolstorybro: Now I can actually hear the low end I've been able to detect and remove a booming fretted low A in the bass that I didn't know was there. I don't have to work so hard beefing up the floor tom and kick drum, either.

One thing that really floored me was the first time I switched them on. I played the project I had up in Reaper, which was the "Bone Machine" drums. The stereo image was startling! It was as if I actually had the kit in front of me. I think it's partly to do with the speakers, partly to do with all the room reflections being tamed. There is nothing to cloud up what is coming from the monitors.

I love it! :punk:
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That looks excellent, mate! Much better than anything I could hope to get. I can hear my mixes changing as I move around the room!

Would love a space like that.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 am That looks excellent, mate! Much better than anything I could hope to get. I can hear my mixes changing as I move around the room!

It's taken me seven years of make do and mend to get to this point, mate. None of us have unlimited funds and space and this is relatively modest compared to some. But I have everything I need and no expensive toys that I don't. I shan't ever bother with outboard, I don't think.

Never say never - it'll come one day.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:33 am
JD01 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 am That looks excellent, mate! Much better than anything I could hope to get. I can hear my mixes changing as I move around the room!

It's taken me seven years of make do and mend to get to this point, mate. None of us have unlimited funds and space and this is relatively modest compared to some. But I have everything I need and no expensive toys that I don't. I shan't ever bother with outboard, I don't think.

Yeah, maybe. You're about 20 years ahead of me with the breeding thing too! I've still got that to come!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:34 am
Bubba wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:33 am

Yeah, maybe. You're about 20 years ahead of me with the breeding thing too! I've still got that to come!
You'd better get on with it. I was 36 when I procreated and at 54 I've only just got rid. :lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am
JD01 wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 10:34 am
You'd better get on with it. I was 36 when I procreated and at 54 I've only just got rid. :lollers2:
Shit... I'm 37 in a few months.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bubba wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 6:19 am
Thanks, Cake. Believe it or not, I don't own a smart phone and I have no immediate plans to do so.
Bob, I'm in the same position re "smart" phones. I do have a mobile - so old that I can't get the drivers to get photos from it. It's at least a decade old.
I don't want to do all those smart things - it makes & takes calls as well as SMS in a limited way - more than enough for me.. My wife has a cheapie smart phone and she's constantly battling to turn off software that appears, or stuff that it seems to do spontaneously - plus answering a call is really a hassle with the two icon push and hold thingo.
I like your bare bones set up. Uncluttered is the way to go.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

rayc wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 1:32 am
Bubba wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 6:19 am
Thanks, Cake. Believe it or not, I don't own a smart phone and I have no immediate plans to do so.
Bob, I'm in the same position re "smart" phones. I do have a mobile - so old that I can't get the drivers to get photos from it. It's at least a decade old.
I don't want to do all those smart things - it makes & takes calls as well as SMS in a limited way - more than enough for me.. My wife has a cheapie smart phone and she's constantly battling to turn off software that appears, or stuff that it seems to do spontaneously - plus answering a call is really a hassle with the two icon push and hold thingo.
I like your bare bones set up. Uncluttered is the way to go.
I would probably get on with a smartphone pretty well, but considering the amount of time I manage to waste just with a laptop, I can't afford to siphon away any more of my life! People seem absolutely obsessed with their devices, to the exclusion of everything else, their kids, their partners, their work, even driving safely... It's not healthy.

And regarding the setup, I like to mix in the box. It's hassle-free. Who needs expensive preamps, LA2As, 1176s and pultec EQs? Not me. I can hardly hear what their fans all rave about, to be honest. What more do you need than decent mics, decent sound sources, decent monitors and a pair of ears?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bubba wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 9:54 am
rayc wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 1:32 am
and a pair of ears?
I'd add decent to that phrase, but you're correct.
I have a bundle of outboard gear from my 4 track cassette days but nothing high end or even middle end. What I am working on, slowly, is my hearing/listening. I've made improvements with monitoring gear which was important but I still did poor mixes until a few people with good ears told me things I was missing - and that I had then to listen for. My ears are still rubbish but a little better than they were.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

rayc wrote: Sat May 06, 2017 10:07 am

I'd add decent to that phrase, but you're correct.
I have a bundle of outboard gear from my 4 track cassette days but nothing high end or even middle end. What I am working on, slowly, is my hearing/listening. I've made improvements with monitoring gear which was important but I still did poor mixes until a few people with good ears told me things I was missing - and that I had then to listen for. My ears are still rubbish but a little better than they were.
I make a mix like I make a painting. I'm going to leave it at that because I'd get very pretentious very quickly. :biggrin:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 11:13 am Brian Setzer doesn't get nearly enough credit for his skills. That dude fucking rips and he doesn't hide behind gobs of distortion and delay.
:coolstorybro:

There was a XMas special past winter on one of the music channels with him and the big band backing him...and while a bunch of it was your classic XMas songs, he just made them his own and totally killed on guitar...but not only that, he sings good and he's a very entertaining guy on stage.
None of that shoegazer stuff. He's all over the stage, never misses a beat or a note.

Speaking of room changes and monitor changes...yeah, I too have had issues with hearing the low end accurately. I got new monitors recently, and kinda reset/rechecked everything...and I can already hear things better...but now I'm trying to dial everything in again, cuz I'm also using the "new" console I swapped in last summer...so while it all sounds better, I'm still checking and adjusting.
I'll probably have a text mix posted in the next few days so I can get some outside opinions, and then dial in the new setup some more.

Oh...for you Punk aficionados...if you get Link TV...tonight they're airing "Who is Billy Bones?", it covers the four-decade-long music career of legendary punk rock vocalist Steven “Billy Bones” Fortuna.
It's on at 9:30PM EST..and then again at 12:30 AM EST....they will have it on again on May 26 at 3:00PM EST.

https://www.linktv.org/shows/who-is-bil ... illy-bones

I'll post this also in the Pub...
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The Yamaha HS5s have been sold! That makes my Music Gear Fund in the little Jack Daniel's tin look a bit more healthy. I got £180 for them which I'm happy with.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 am The Yamaha HS5s have been sold! That makes my Music Gear Fund in the little Jack Daniel's tin look a bit more healthy. I got £180 for them which I'm happy with.
:like: :like:

How's that son of Gobshite guitar doing?
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:32 pm
Bubba wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 am The Yamaha HS5s have been sold! That makes my Music Gear Fund in the little Jack Daniel's tin look a bit more healthy. I got £180 for them which I'm happy with.
:like: :like:

How's that son of Gobshite guitar doing?
It's having its fifth outing tonight. I'm in the honeymoon period where I want to use it all the time!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm
It's having its fifth outing tonight. I'm in the honeymoon period where I want to use it all the time!
Awesome. How are you liking the Riff Raff?
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:43 pm
Bubba wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 1:39 pm
Awesome. How are you liking the Riff Raff?
More and more each gig. I've hit the sweet spot with setting the pickup height and can interchange between orange and red crunch with no hint of mud. The Yamaha pups were a bit gainier and weightier in the bottom end. There's not much in it, though.

And it sings when I want it to. :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

COol, must be really satisfying to have it how you want it. To you get guitarists at the shows asking about it?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 2:55 pm COol, must be really satisfying to have it how you want it. To you get guitarists at the shows asking about it?
A couple, yes. If there's anything about it that I wish was better, it's the neck. It feels a bit rubbery, the finish is a bit sticky (I may wet-and-dry it) and I don't like the nut. The neck profile doesn't suit me either. It's a bit narrow at the nut and a bit deep and fat in the hand.

I might have to make my own.

Oh, and I put the output jack in slightly the wrong place - the plug points down too vertically instead of at an angle. I sometimes catch it with my knee. I need a guitar cable with two 90 deg. plugs. Otherwise, it's great. :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Wouldn't a standard 90 degree plug work?