I feel like I've swallowed a golf ball

General recording topics.
JD01

I feel like I've swallowed a golf ball

Post by JD01 »

I'm clearly doing something wrong with loud shouty vocal performances.
After session recording vocals I actually feel like I have something stuck in my throat, just above the Adam's Apple on the right hand side.

It was most prevalent yesterday as I lost the first verse and chorus of the song and had to re-track it so I was singing for much longer than I normally would but its a bit like it now too and the vocals on that Max Romeo cover only took and hour or so and I wasn't pushing it that hard.

I know good singers can sing pretty hardcore vocals all night and not have any problems so there's obviously a technique to doing this safely that I don't know.

Is this a case of practice? Or is there some specific thing I need to do?
Bubba

Re: I feel like I've swallowed a golf ball

Post by Bubba »

This puts me in mind of a bit of homespun wisdom from years in the building trade.

Q: Which saw do you use to cut concrete-covered shuttering boards?

A: Somebody else's.

You need a vocal chore handler. :biggrin: Seriously though, a coach would help.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 pm This puts me in mind of a bit of homespun wisdom from years in the building trade.

Q: Which saw do you use to cut concrete-covered shuttering boards?

A: Somebody else's.

You need a vocal chore handler. :biggrin: Seriously though, a coach would help.
Cheers, I might call my mate Michaela again for some lessons.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:18 pm I'm clearly doing something wrong with loud shouty vocal performances.
After session recording vocals I actually feel like I have something stuck in my throat, just above the Adam's Apple on the right hand side.
Maybe you're trying too hard...and you could be fucking your vocal chords,,,causing swelling...?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:28 pm Maybe you're trying too hard...and you could be fucking your vocal chords,,,causing swelling...?
That's my guess. I'm no pro vocalist by any means, but I know some technique that keeps me from jacking my voice up. Sing in your real voice and sing from the gut. Stop singing from your throat. Sing standing up. All sorts of things help and work. Get with a real singer or look up some online "lessons" and fix yourself before you hurt yourself.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. I have to do something about it, I'm already singing standing up and trying to sing from the gut. The girl who gave me a singing lesson before told me to rest my hand on my gut so you can feel yourself breathing out from there as you sing.

I'll go and see her again and see what she thinks.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:16 pm Yeah. I have to do something about it, I'm already singing standing up and trying to sing from the gut. The girl who gave me a singing lesson before told me to rest my hand on my gut so you can feel yourself breathing out from there as you sing.

I'll go and see her again and see what she thinks.
Sometimes I really feel it in my gut. Like I've been doing crunches. It's weird but at least it lets me know I'm on the right track.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's probably a good indicator to look for actually.

I'm just having a big slug of gin before bed, feels great on the throat!
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Big deep, breaths and sing from your mask (or your nose). Deep breathing will keep you using your diaphragm (ie the crunches Gerg mentioned) and keeping your voice in your mask keeps the vocal chords safe. You should never feel any pain. Good luck.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it thus far but copious amounts of water while tracking aggressive vox is a huge help.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I normally have a pint of water on the desk.. although i did have two beers yesterday instead.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:54 pm Not sure if anyone has mentioned it thus far but copious amounts of water while tracking aggressive vox is a huge help.
I do my best work after a couple of glasses of red wine...
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

- Sing within your comfort zone to begin with
- if you nudge your comfort zone gradually, your range (in theory) will get higher.
- deep deep breaths. You can sing long lines and not wobble towards the ends of phrases
- room temp water, avoid pop, coffee, milk (although I do enjoy a cold coffee for the caffeine)
- if you strain your vocal chords, take a break until they are repaired
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just had a session singing pretty loud hard vocals. Went really well actually.

Didn't overdo it and go on for ages, in fact it only took me a couple of takes. I also really concentrated on taking tension through the abs and stuff like that.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:24 am Just had a session singing pretty loud hard vocals. Went really well actually.

Didn't overdo it and go on for ages, in fact it only took me a couple of takes. I also really concentrated on taking tension through the abs and stuff like that.
:like:
Haggard Musician :mad: