Why it pays to really go deep during a spring clean up

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Why it pays to really go deep during a spring clean up

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I found my CD with my scarlett plugin suite on it, a file folder full of stickers i've had for pretty much two decades and three really shitty microphones. And a whole bunch of other cool stuff.

I might just be a hoarder. :lollers: :lollers: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Re: Why it pays to really go deep during a spring clean up

Post by Tadpui »

Hahaha! I'd rather not disclose the odd and stupid things that I found while cleaning before moving. I was apparently a borderline hoarder myself!
rayc

Post by rayc »

I still haven't tried the Scarlette suite. I've had the interface for a couple of years but I think the suite is w7 based isn't it?
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am I still haven't tried the Scarlette suite. I've had the interface for a couple of years but I think the suite is w7 based isn't it?
You can just go on their website, register and download everything. There's a fair bit on there. I use their compressor all the time 'cos its just so simple, has the minimum number of knobs and clear displays.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 am
rayc wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 am I still haven't tried the Scarlette suite. I've had the interface for a couple of years but I think the suite is w7 based isn't it?
You can just go on their website, register and download everything. There's a fair bit on there. I use their compressor all the time 'cos its just so simple, has the minimum number of knobs and clear displays.
Ah, thanks James. I do like simple - tweaking is for better ears than mine.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:19 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:05 am

Ah, thanks James. I do like simple - tweaking is for better ears than mine.
Yeah, Scarlett Compressor: Threshold, Ratio, Attack, Release and a makeup gain knob.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Don't you both have the Red 3 compressor? It's a different class.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm Don't you both have the Red 3 compressor? It's a different class.
I think I might have the Red 3 Compressor too. I've just never used it. What's so good about it compared to the Scarlett?

It has the same controls as the Scarlett and is made by the same company - I would imagine they'd work pretty similar.
Red 3 does look nicer, but I find Scarlett fits into a nicer space on the screen 'cos its closer to square.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ah, such is life! The red Suite 1 - 3 don't work with my Scarlett 8i60 and XP.
It'll run with my Scarlett Solo upstairs on w7 but I can't take the results downstairs to work on in the right monitoring set up.
That's my problem for sticking with XP
AND the Solo won't run on XP.
The 8i6 will run on W7 upstairs but I'm not likely to disconnect everything and drag it upstairs for a VST.
Oh well.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:36 pm
Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:30 pm Don't you both have the Red 3 compressor? It's a different class.
I think I might have the Red 3 Compressor too. I've just never used it. What's so good about it compared to the Scarlett?

It has the same controls as the Scarlett and is made by the same company - I would imagine they'd work pretty similar.
Red 3 does look nicer, but I find Scarlett fits into a nicer space on the screen 'cos its closer to square.
I can't explain it, but its functionality and sound just seem better to me on sound sources that really matter, like vocals. It's a great drum buss comp, too. There's a jerkiness and lag to the meters on the Scarlett GUI that's annoying and makes it difficult to tune it to the characteristics of the instrument you're working on, whereas the Red is very smooth and intuitive.

I do like the Scarlett comp as a peak limiter on kick and snare, though. It works great for that.
Haggard Musician :mad: