Recording Gripes.

General recording topics.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Recording Gripes.

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Editing/comping. Made even worse because I tend to procrastinate so that I have to do all of the editing and comping at the same time. Tedium for days!

I should probably just learn to play it right.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:01 pm Annoying - not being able to work out why everything sounds so shit and seems to have really piercing treble... fucking about with your amp and pedles... then finding out your wah wah is on..
Ah, the 1st world problems of pedal board owners.
As I don't have a board the only stuff that gets in the chain is what I've selected for the track - my only hope is that they work.
Cheers
rayc
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Record a dozen lead tracks, finally hitting that part just right. Then you go to mix and the damn thing is too distorted for the song. True story - happened on my last song.
I did a 4 hour session on my LPC working on a lead part. I got it finally but...my back ached because I record standing up.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

A pigeon. A fucking pigeon in the bush outside my recording space. Proo-proooo! Proo-PROOOOO!!

I rushed out of the door, waved my arms and shouted KNOB OFF!!! It duly did so with that peculiar clattering exit that sounds like they're tearing their feathers out.

When I came back in, Manda was corpsing in front of the mic. "Knob off? Really?" :lollers2:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:18 pm A pigeon. A fucking pigeon in the bush outside my recording space. Proo-proooo! Proo-PROOOOO!!

I rushed out of the door, waved my arms and shouted KNOB OFF!!! It duly did so with that peculiar clattering exit that sounds like they're tearing their feathers out.

When I came back in, Manda was corpsing in front of the mic. "Knob off? Really?" :lollers2:
Now if you had a decent frog population there, you wouldn't have any pigeon issues... :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:57 pm

Now if you had a decent frog population there, you wouldn't have any pigeon issues... :lollers:
I don't understand. Are frogs and pigeons enemies? :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:04 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:57 pm

I don't understand. Are frogs and pigeons enemies? :lollers2:
Nah... I regale Bubba regularly with my woes about various critters who make noises when I'm recording. It's a Brit/Aus humour thing... doesn't always translate. He'll get it. :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My fucking laptop just crashed while I was tracking vocals... I had two fucking verses and a chorus unsaved and it was going well too. So pissed off.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Now the bastard thing won't recognise my UX2.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:43 am My fucking laptop just crashed while I was tracking vocals... I had two fucking verses and a chorus unsaved and it was going well too. So pissed off.
Ctrl S every time I keep a track. :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:43 am My fucking laptop just crashed while I was tracking vocals... I had two fucking verses and a chorus unsaved and it was going well too. So pissed off.
Yeah - I've started being more careful with this now. Never had a problem with this laptop before either 'cos its my work machine.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ctrl S.
Everytime.
Always.
Amen.
:happytrees:
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 am

Ctrl S.
Everytime.
Always.
Amen.
I wrote a little script a while back to sort of autosave, it'll save every time I do anything in a list of parameters, it's saved me so many times.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That one time a few months ago you spend three days re building a midi drum kit to sound better, then you go back to it and for some reason ezdrummer has reverted back to an older version and everything sucks... then you fix it to go back to ezdrummer 2 just to discover all your hard work needs to be redone again because programming drums is fucking stupid.

Fuck.

I fucking hate computers.

this is a sign that this cover sucks and is a waste of my time.
:happytrees:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

From time to time each member of my cover band will each pick one cover song to record.

Anyways, our lowly bass player decided to choose beautiful day (U2) We had the music recorded in an afternoon and all that was left to do was the vocals.. (me) well that was six fucking months ago. I cannot find my voice for the song and I hear all kinds of layered vocals happening in my head. The drummer guys choice was AC DC's Walk all over You, which I had done days after the recording and that may be because I actually like that song.

It's now a sore spot on Monday nights practices as the bass guy asks me for updates that I just don't have for him. I've considered posting the bed trax here but that won't help. Will it?

I've never had this problem before where I can't hear myself (in my head) singing the aforementioned song. I have five tracks planned for vocals and can't even complete the main one.

:spacepalm: :WTF:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Audio Monster wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 am I've never had this problem before where I can't hear myself (in my head) singing the aforementioned song. I have five tracks planned for vocals and can't even complete the main one.
Just sing one track. Once you do that, you'll get the rest done. "Beautiful day" is so low it's talking pitch, you barely need to sing it. Get the first track done and the rest will follow.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Audio Monster wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 am From time to time each member of my cover band will each pick one cover song to record.

Anyways, our lowly bass player decided to choose beautiful day (U2) We had the music recorded in an afternoon and all that was left to do was the vocals.. (me) well that was six fucking months ago. I cannot find my voice for the song and I hear all kinds of layered vocals happening in my head. The drummer guys choice was AC DC's Walk all over You, which I had done days after the recording and that may be because I actually like that song.

It's now a sore spot on Monday nights practices as the bass guy asks me for updates that I just don't have for him. I've considered posting the bed trax here but that won't help. Will it?

I've never had this problem before where I can't hear myself (in my head) singing the aforementioned song. I have five tracks planned for vocals and can't even complete the main one.

:spacepalm: :WTF:
Fire that bass player.
Rebel Yell
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

You got a couple days till Monday night's practice, so maybe throw together some lonsence lyrics about rolling some reefers and sing "it's beautiful jay!". Maybe bass dude will have a sense of humor and appreciate it, plus you'll get some practice on sorting the phrasing as you will be forced to phrase your funny vocals similar to boner's. Whatever you do will be better than the original. You can always come back and please your bass player later...or fire him like Greg said!
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

You guys make some good points. I'll get it done.

I can't fire Steve because he's a great guy and a swell bass player. I could beat him up.. those wounds heal over time. :biggrin:

It's funny, he was torn between Beautiful Day and............................... Limelight :drums: . But he had to go with the U2 song :crazy:

I'll get it done and shut'em the hell up.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Audio Monster wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:29 pm

It's funny, he was torn between Beautiful Day and............................... Limelight
:spacepalm:

Fire him now!
Rebel Yell