Recording Gripes.

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Recording Gripes.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That one time you spend all afternoon tracking guitars you think sound awesome. Then come back to it a day later and it sounds like ass.

That one time you get inspired, sit down to record your idea before farts out your left ear never to be seen again and bust a string.

Stay up all night trying to sing a song you listened to for years walk away for a few days amd come back to it and your pitcy as hell.

I hate all those things. :happytrees:
:happytrees:
Armistice

Re: Recording Gripes.

Post by Armistice »

Making up a wicked chord progression/riff/melody then realising you're just ripping it off yourself as you did exactly the same thing in a song 5 years ago and had forgotten.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 am Making up a wicked chord progression/riff/melody then realising you're just ripping it off yourself as you did exactly the same thing in a song 5 years ago and had forgotten.
:lollers: :lollers: :lollers: :lollers: i do this all the time :sherlock:
witzendoz

Post by witzendoz »

Armistice wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 am Making up a wicked chord progression/riff/melody then realising you're just ripping it off yourself as you did exactly the same thing in a song 5 years ago and had forgotten.
All my songs have the same riff anyway.

Alan :shred: :drums: :jam: :metal:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This happens a lot! I have two songs that are nearly identical in both progression and structure. They even have similar riffs using a similar motif. The only difference is one is in Em the other is in Bm. The riff is played high over the Bm version and low over the Em version.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Realizing you only use 3 chords. But you realize it for the 16th thousand time.

Doing a vocal track and the phone rings. You go damn! I fogot to turn it off again.

But it NEVER happens when you're doing a scratch track.

You're recording an acoustic guitar track, the dog is asleep, and all of a sudden the door bell rings and the dog wakes up and barks.

You get up and go to the door. It's UPS. Yay.
Except it's not the new gear you've been waiting for, but some cosmetic shit for your wife.

You go back to recording, but now the moment is gone.

Fuckit, time for a beer
:D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

For me the worst is sitting down, blasting through a perfect drum take from beginning to end, going back to the DAW and seeing I forgot to arm one of the tracks. That's THE worst. It don't get no worst than that. Lol. Yall's piddly little guitar problems are child's play compared to drumming a take and having a kick or overhead not record at all. :headwall: :facepalm2: :crazy: :facepalm: :WTF: :spacepalm: :facepalm2: :headwall: :mad: :suspicious: :robus: :(
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:54 am For me the worst is sitting down, blasting through a perfect drum take from beginning to end, going back to the DAW and seeing I forgot to arm one of the tracks. That's THE worst. It don't get no worst than that. Lol. Yall's piddly little guitar problems are child's play compared to drumming a take and having a kick or overhead not record at all. :headwall: :facepalm2: :crazy: :facepalm: :WTF: :spacepalm: :facepalm2: :headwall: :mad: :suspicious: :robus: :(
That would be a killer. By the way, did you know there's a Reaper function setting to automatically arm all tracks when you press record? Might be worth checking out. :guru:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:04 am That would be a killer. By the way, did you know there's a Reaper function setting to automatically arm all tracks when you press record? Might be worth checking out. :guru:
Well I wouldn't want to arm all of the tracks. I'd only want to arm the drum tracks. :drums:
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:45 am
This happens a lot! I have two songs that are nearly identical in both progression and structure. They even have similar riffs using a similar motif. The only difference is one is in Em the other is in Bm. The riff is played high over the Bm version and low over the Em version.
Nickleback does it, why shouldn't you?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 am
You just sold him on it. JD loves Nickleback.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

If Foggarty does it I'm doing it too.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

AC/DC made a very long, very successful career out of doing the same song over and over. People put too much emphasis on being original or breaking new ground all the damn time. Not every song has to be something never done before. There are only 12 notes in Western music. They've all been used repeatedly already. No big deal.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

LOL - fuck off!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

recording gripe #1 ..... spending a couple of hours tweaking something on some music and then right before saving it, have the lights flicker from a nano-second power outage and have to do it all over again.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am
Farview wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 am
olololoolololololJdlovesnickelback

jd+chadkreoger=tla

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIlNIVXpIns[/BBvideo]
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

A fella at my old workplace had Nickeback hair, so we used to call him NickelChad. Whenever he got back from holiday, you'd say 'Ah, I see you're nickel back'.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:54 am forgot to arm one of the tracks. That's THE worst.
:lollers: :lollers: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers: :lollers: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :happytrees: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I
fucking
hate
that

I am so guilty of that myself. :happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 pm
Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:01 am

olololoolololololJdlovesnickelback

jd+chadkreoger=tla

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIlNIVXpIns[/BBvideo]
Lol. I'm actually trying to see what's on the graph. .. is that is EQ showing his mid scoop
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Annoying - not being able to work out why everything sounds so shit and seems to have really piercing treble... fucking about with your amp and pedles... then finding out your wah wah is on..