Mic Shootout - Cheap Condenser vs. Cheap Dynamic on Muted Trumpet

General recording topics.
SweetDan

Mic Shootout - Cheap Condenser vs. Cheap Dynamic on Muted Trumpet

Post by SweetDan »

So as not to step all over [mention]paulman[/mention]'s new mic thread, I'm putting my (small) contribution to the recording arts here, in the form of a mic shootout. The topic at hand is recording a muted trumpet (Harmon mute, Miles-style!). The set-up was in the family room of the house, about 16x20 feet with 11-foot ceilings, with the normal furnishings of a family room - carpet on the floor, sofa/loveseat combo, blinds on the windows, with no real acoustic treatment. The mic was about 18-24 inches from the bell of the trumpet, pointed more or less straight at it.

The mics used were an Electro-Voice CO9 (dynamic) and a Blue Spark (condensor). The mics were placed as close together as possible to enable capturing the same performance with both. Pre-amps were those on a Tascam 2-channel interface, nothing special, and there were no f/x at record time nor is there any applied to the tracks.

First clip:
trumpet1_spark.mp3
trumpet1_co9.mp3

Second clip:
trumpet2_spark.mp3
trumpet2_co9.mp3

Results: I preferred the sound of the E/V CO9; it sounded fuller in comparison to the Spark. Additionally, the Spark's sound had a somewhat unpleasant, piercing sound in the upper frequencies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. šŸ˜‚
Greg_L

Re: Mic Shootout - Cheap Condenser vs. Cheap Dynamic on Muted Trumpet

Post by Greg_L »

I agree. I like the EV better.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Re: Mic Shootout - Cheap Condenser vs. Cheap Dynamic on Muted Trumpet

Post by Lt. Bob »

I preferred the CO9 ....... to me they're one of the great bang-for-the-buck mics.
..... I also have some CO7's which is another cheap EV that performs well.

I'm an EV guy actually ...... a few years ago everyone was blowing out the EV N/D 767's (my preferred live vocal mic) for 50 bucks.

I bought 8 of them!!

:lollers2:

I'm miked up thru my death and beyond!

:lollers: