Should I throw out the masters for my first two albums?

General recording topics.
Armistice

Should I throw out the masters for my first two albums?

Post by Armistice »

I'm having a cleanout.

Obviously, normally, the answer is "No, don't be stupid!", but....
  • They are on ZIP disks, recorded on a Roland VS840 I no longer have - if anyone actually has one, I'd be mightily surprised - it's all from the late 90s
  • I have transferred all the individual tracks for all the songs to other media - as audio, not as data, because it's in a proprietary format, the machine had no external digital interface capability or offline storage options
  • They're shit recordings which, if I even wanted to revisit, I would redo properly

So I have about 20 ZIP disks taking up space that I can't put into any machine I own or am likely to own again, that are in the aforementioned proprietary format anyway, that I haven't taken out of their storage box for 10 years.

I'm thinking just turf the fuckers. I have too much crap - I need to simplify/make room.

Thoughts?
Armistice

Re: Should I throw out the masters for my first two albums?

Post by Armistice »

OK - put brain into gear - they're not masters, obviously, I still have the master stereo tracks for both albums on ADAT / CD. They're the actual data from the recordings... :cuckoo:

It's early. :mad3:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Normally I'd say keep them, but like you said, you can't do anything with them and haven't even thought about them for 10 years. Dump it.
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

cor! not seen those for ages .. i have a few LS120 disks buried somewhere,probably under an X15 and a sh*tload of tapes :facepalm2:

ahaha! data setup tapes for a Dr Rhythm !

burn them all !!! (not really,its history)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

There’s the emotional reaction that you shouldn’t really... but fuck it. You’re never gonna use them again, just get shot of them
Farview

Post by Farview »

Dump them. As much as I'm surprised every time one of my clients from the 90s finds me on facebook and asks if I still have the track tapes for something they did, it is still hard to get access to a Tascam DA-88 machine (much less 4 of them) to transfer into whatever cracked daw they just procured, I threw them out 4 years ago when I closed the studio.

They are unnecessary and useless, the space can be better utilized for storing more recent things that you will never revisit.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'd say turf them but maybe, make one last ditch effort to track down someone who can transfer them for you if you want them? But maybe give yourself a timeline, like put it out there and if you get no bites in say a week, chuck them.

You have the recordings in a listenable finished format though right? So it isn't like they are gone forever.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

You have usable back ups so the zips are unnecessary. Make sure you back up your back ups then wipe the zips with a magnet or something else to corrupt the data & sell them as blanks on fleabay. There are LOTS of tech nerds out there - OR contact TECHMOAN on utub - he'll have a machine that can read them and then, since you have the back ups & the back ups of the back ups you can sell or toss the zips.
Then there's...https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vs ... noapp=true
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:41 pm You have usable back ups so the zips are unnecessary. Make sure you back up your back ups then wipe the zips with a magnet or something else to corrupt the data & sell them as blanks on fleabay. There are LOTS of tech nerds out there - OR contact TECHMOAN on utub - he'll have a machine that can read them and then, since you have the back ups & the back ups of the back ups you can sell or toss the zips.
Then there's...https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=vs ... noapp=true
Thanks ray - am I missing something or is there no way to filter FleaBay to your own country. Millions of units, none in Australia.
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Armistice wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 pm

to filter FleaBay to your own country. Millions of units, none in Australia.
on the left hand side scroll down,should be a "distance" button .. can enter a mileage in that,or press the UK only button thing near it... (Aus *should* be the same?)

can save those options into "following searches" too
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:38 pm
Armistice wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:03 pm

to filter FleaBay to your own country. Millions of units, none in Australia.
on the left hand side scroll down,should be a "distance" button .. can enter a mileage in that,or press the UK only button thing near it... (Aus *should* be the same?)

can save those options into "following searches" too
Yeah, saw that, thanks. I'm guessing if I actually logged into my account and did my own search there'd be something.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yes david, your own account will default to Aus items then OS.
Cheers
rayc
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

Armistice wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 pm if I actually logged into my account
:lollers: and there's always that :D
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Yeah, I know this almost 12 months on BUT I happened to be listening to "There's No Way Back From Here", one of David's albums when I came upon this thread and my friend, I don't know what you ended up doing with the "original" recordings.

That said, for fuck sake, stop being so self critical!!! Every time I listen to King Of The World or the previously mentioned album, I'm transported to another place..........your composition and production abilities not to mention playing ability are things I can only dream about achieving and at my age there's sweet fuck all chance of me ever getting there.

:cool:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I actually have a VS840 I believe ..... there's a Roland something on one of my upper shelves
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Ausrock wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:36 am Yeah, I know this almost 12 months on BUT I happened to be listening to "There's No Way Back From Here", one of David's albums when I came upon this thread and my friend, I don't know what you ended up doing with the "original" recordings.

That said, for fuck sake, stop being so self critical!!! Every time I listen to King Of The World or the previously mentioned album, I'm transported to another place..........your composition and production abilities not to mention playing ability are things I can only dream about achieving and at my age there's sweet fuck all chance of me ever getting there.

:cool:
Ha ha ... I'm referring specifically to the tracking of the first two albums - six:ten and KOTW - all direct out from acoustic and electric pickups to the VS840 - it sounds pretty naff. Like I said, if I was ever going to do anything with the tunes (which I'm not down on at all - I think they stand up OK) I'd re-track them properly.

Not sure, with the arms being what they are, I can even play acoustic any more - however I'm going to try - one of my counter-intuitive theories, which was sort of backed up by the WorkCover sports medicine doctor I ended up seeing, was that it wasn't coincidence that my arms started going to shit when The Jongleurs broke up - because I was playing a lot of acoustic guitar, and because that's way more physically demanding than electric, that "exercise" was offsetting all the micro-movements of mousing and typing and clicking and dragging at work which causes the RSI symptoms in the elbows. We shall see - they're particularly bad at the moment and I have to try something.

I'm currently playing TINWBFH in the car, based on you mentioning it. There's some good stuff on there if I say so myself. Not sure these lads are interested much however - they're not really acoustic guitar people... :lollers:
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

Hahaha........guess what mate, you are right, there is good stuff on both those albums, I will never tire of listening to them.

"I'm currently playing TINWBFH in the car, based on you mentioning it. There's some good stuff on there if I say so myself. Not sure these lads are interested much however - they're not really acoustic guitar people."

Well there's a challenge for us, we have to find a way to re-educate the fuckers :lollers: :lollers2:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I dig your acoustic stuff David but it may be parochialism!
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:51 am I dig your acoustic stuff David but it may be parochialism!
Thanks ray. It probably tends to get dismissed because #acousticguitar but there's considerable complexity in a lot of it - and it's not a mile from there to where I am now. I often find myself doing "acoustic" things on electric guitar.