How many tunes on a CD?

General recording topics.
JD01

Re: How many tunes on a CD?

Post by JD01 »

45 minutes/12 songs is always good. Most of the Nirvana albums were about there. Handy 'cos they used to fit on one side of a 90 minute tape.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:44 am Yeah, I should probably have more of that attitude. Actually, I do sort of, but I think I get insecure and wonder what "people" will think, whoever the fuck they are.
My approach is fantastic for my own well-being. I couldn't care less what "people" think. None of my self-worth is dependent on people liking my songs. How am I supposed to care about that when the worst shit always sells millions of copies? I'm more concerned with just putting out an undeniably good album. No one has to like the songs, but I want the whole product to be a good album. If someone objective would say "I hate Greg's songs, but he wrote, played, produced them well and the album works", I'd consider that a win for me.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I'm with you, man. I dig.

I think the reason I might be over-analizing all this is because the last CD I put out about 3 or 4 years ago, I half-assed everything. I even gave it a stupid title ("Rub Her Sole"...a play on "Rubber Soul"), put a bunch of half-assed recorded songs, most of them done in the place I lived before with the worst sounding garage, in a shitty relationship that sucked all the creativity out of me. Blah blah blah.....

Anyway, the point is, I regret that I didn't put anywhere near 100% effort into it and I don't want to do that again. So, no matter how many people will actually listen to this, I want to put something out that I can say I put 100% effort and creativity into.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

JD01 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:48 am 45 minutes/12 songs is always good. Most of the Nirvana albums were about there. Handy 'cos they used to fit on one side of a 90 minute tape.
Sounds reasonable. I think I'm going to go with 15 tunes. 12 originals, one cover. That way, I can have 3 originals/1 cover, etc....
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Hey Greg, if you can find that formula that you came up with for the order of songs, that would be great. I like what Ido said, too. But I want to get another perspective just to see. Thanx.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 pm Hey Greg, if you can find that formula that you came up with for the order of songs, that would be great. I like what Ido said, too. But I want to get another perspective just to see. Thanx.
I'll try to find in the cesspool that is the other place.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I can't believe I found it...and it was in an old Rami thread about song order! :lollers2:

Track 1) strong
Track 2) stronger
Track 3) rip heads off
Track 4) change it up a little
Track 5) really throw em a curveball
Track 6) getting back to normal - if this was an LP, it would be the end of side one
Track 7) strong - beginning of side two
Track 8) stronger
Track 9) curveball/weaker song
Track 10) filler/weaker song
Track 11) decent song
Track 12) rip heads off to close the album
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Wow! That was quick. Awesome, man. I compared it with what I did and I think I did 90% of that. I have a few covers, so it's hard to classify them. But I think I'm on the right track. Thanx dude.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. It wasn't that quick. It took like half an hour to find it at that other place.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Oh, it seemed quick to me because "the other place" sounds like you have to put on your shoes, get in your car and drive somewhere. Unless I'm in a time warp, it was quick for me. :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:43 pm Oh, it seemed quick to me because "the other place" sounds like you have to put on your shoes, get in your car and drive somewhere. Unless I'm in a time warp, it was quick for me. :)
Really it's my own search ignorance. I don't ever search for anything. I'm not good at it. I had no idea how to do it. It was more luck finding it than anything else.

It was in the publicity forum.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Oh...LOL! You meant the other place, HR. I seriously thought you had to physically go somewhere else because of the flood. Fuck, our lines were crossed. Yeah, that place's search engine is the worst anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. Yes, I should keep physical hard copy files of my wisdom in a safe place. That's a good idea.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Last edited by rammer24 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Last edited by rammer24 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Maybe do 12 songs on the actual album and include a download code for the rest in the artwork?

That way the folks who are pretty into it get a reasonable album, and the super-fans can get a whole bunch extra.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:44 pm Maybe do 12 songs on the actual album and include a download code for the rest in the artwork?

That way the folks who are pretty into it get a reasonable album, and the super-fans can get a whole bunch extra.
Oh, I like that. Thinking outside of the box. Nice. Not a bad idea.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Depends upon the length of the tunes - your stuff sits in the 3 - 4 minutes range generally I think, so I'd go 11, 12 or 13 tunes and not worry so much about the length on the proviso that it came in somewhere 35 - 45. Whatever works with the bestest tunes.

Longer and more complex tunes I think you can extend the overall time a bit, but I'd keep it under an hour.

The one and only Jongleurs album is 59:58 and 13 tunes, but that's only because there was only ever going to be one album so may as well shove everything on it. When mastering, I briefly considered making it an even 60:00 but thought "no" in the end... it's too long for a normal album, if we were ever going to release more stuff, but we weren't.

And I wouldn't put a cover on it, but that's just me.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:53 pm Depends upon the length of the tunes - your stuff sits in the 3 - 4 minutes range generally I think, so I'd go 11, 12 or 13 tunes and not worry so much about the length on the proviso that it came in somewhere 35 - 45. Whatever works with the bestest tunes.

Longer and more complex tunes I think you can extend the overall time a bit, but I'd keep it under an hour.

The one and only Jongleurs album is 59:58 and 13 tunes, but that's only because there was only ever going to be one album so may as well shove everything on it. When mastering, I briefly considered making it an even 60:00 but thought "no" in the end... it's too long for a normal album, if we were ever going to release more stuff, but we weren't.

And I wouldn't put a cover on it, but that's just me.
Yeah, I had trouble deciding which 2 songs to get rid of. I had 15, got it down to 13....about 46 minutes. I have enough strong tunes left over for a second CD.

I know how you feel about covers, so I respect that. :like: