tunes in the works, possibly EP-worthy, but no artist name; how did you come up with a name?

General recording topics.
SweetDan

tunes in the works, possibly EP-worthy, but no artist name; how did you come up with a name?

Post by SweetDan »

As the title says, I've got 4-5 tunes in the works, all with a somewhat similar theme/vibe, and I think I can pull an EP out of it (not anytime too soon, though, maybe by the end of the year). However, I don't have a good name for *myself* as the artist/band. How did you come up with a name to group your "projects" under? Naturally, these are all solo productions (with maybe a guest artist solo or two)..."SweetDan plays with himself" sounds really bad... :?
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Re: tunes in the works, possibly EP-worthy, but no artist name; how did you come up with a name?

Post by JD01 »

I wouldn't worry too much about it now - when you've got the songs finished and its time to do something with them you'll come up with something easily enough.
ido1957

Re: tunes in the works, possibly EP-worthy, but no artist name; how did you come up with a name?

Post by ido1957 »

We just combined our last names - it sounds like a smelting company.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My dad called me "Gregor the Terror" as a kid. Seemed like as good an "artist" name as any.

I put "artist" in quotes because I don't consider myself an artist and I generally hate that pretentious overused term.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 am My dad called me "Gregor the Terror" as a kid. Seemed like as good an "artist" name as any.

I put "artist" in quotes because I don't consider myself an artist and I generally hate that pretentious overused term.
Yeah - I call myself an "artiste" with a slight french accent.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:01 am
Yeah - I call myself an "artiste" with a slight french accent.
It's a term that really makes me cringe. Like, really cringe. Ugh. :wank:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - hideous init.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I think SweetDan is a cool name. We already have a thread about this. Any name works once people get used to it....IF the music's good.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 pm ...We already have a thread about this...
This one? - viewtopic.php?f=31&t=887
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

SweetDan wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:45 pm "SweetDan plays with himself" sounds really bad... :?
But then...I think it's even more lame to come up with a name that implies there was a band of sorts.

Just give the EP a name based on the tunes or the style of music...and then put your own name as the "artist".
I mean...that is what it is, right?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, I'm not getting the point here. "Any name.....plays with himself" will sound stupid. I'm pretty sure "SweetDan" isn't the problem part of that sentence.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Dan's Suite - French pun and all ,or should I write et al?
You could follow the great tradition of location related stuff.
Col &/or Ado?
Stolen from Mexicans?
Centennial Statement?
Culinary names?
Suet Dan
Pun on others
Sweetie Dan?
in sport
Shodan
Nidan
Sandan
Shodan, Nidan, Sanda GO!
Cheers
rayc
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

rayc wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:29 pm ...You could follow the great tradition of location related stuff...
I didn't consciously realize it was a great tradition, but "Westward Migration", or "Gone West", or something like that, were already on my list, given that I (currently) reside in Colorado, but recently moved from Ohio.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ohio - Fourdeadin?
gone West is a bit too close to the 80s band Go West.
Maybe The Donner Party brings you Pulling Your Leg
I like Longpig - but that's alreaDY TAKEN BY A uk BAND. gOOD ALBUM TOO.
Sweet Dan in French is Dany Daniel.
or
Doux Daniel
or Sucre' Daniel Sucre Dan

Soupe de Soirée Donner
"Go West, young man" is a phrase often credited to the American author and newspaper editor Horace Greeley concerning America's expansion westward, related to the then-popular concept of Manifest Destiny. It was first stated by John Babsone Lane Soule in an 1851 editorial in the Terre Haute Express, "Go west young man, and grow up with the country." Greeley later used the quote in his own editorial in 1865"
Greeley's Doctrine Highland Express Westward Ho.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Pick a name that sounds kinda cool. Register the .com.

Really it just has to be kind of distinct and not make you hate it.