Focusrite ASIO drivers with AVG - problem and solution.

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
Bubba

Focusrite ASIO drivers with AVG - problem and solution.

Post by Bubba »

Yesterday, I opened up Reaper and played a project only to find that the play bar was stuck. I had selected ASIO audio system and Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 as my device, but the program stalled. If I switched to WaveOut the thing played ok, but that doesn't recognise all my inputs.

I did quite a bit of googling, to no avail, but then I logged in to the Focusrite website. I found that reports had been coming in that AVG antivirus was causing a problem with Scarlett ASIO drivers, somehow mistakenly identifying them as potentially harmful programs. The suggested fix was to uinstall AVG.

I opened up AVG and sure enough saw that an update had been done the day before - up until then, my AI and Reaper had been working faultlessly. I uninstalled AVG, restarted my computer and now everything is back to normal. I'm now using BitDefender as my anti-virus application.

I hope this is of some use to someone.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Re: Focusrite ASIO drivers with AVG - problem and solution.

Post by JD01 »

I'm aware of the bug. Wasn't sure how to fix it. But I just used work arounds like flipping between waveout and back to asio to make it work again,
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 9:03 am I'm aware of the bug. Wasn't sure how to fix it. But I just used work arounds like flipping between waveout and back to asio to make it work again,
Which AV are you using? I haven't checked whether Bitdefender free is ok yet, but uninstalling AVG definitely works.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Norton.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

It's weird, isn't it? Perhaps it's the way the Focusrite drivers are written that's setting those AVs off? I've checked my system and it runs perfect with Bitdefender.

And these monitors are the dog's bollocks.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah. I dunno what causes it. It's really weird if I go to play a film or YouTube before thr drivers have sorted themselves out when I boot up. The sound comes out all mangled.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have an OLD AVG on my recording comp BUT everything taht goes onto it goes through current AVG before going onto a transport device. Glad I don't have to deal with that little problem. Thanks Bob.
Cheers
rayc