Dual monitors - screens, not speakers

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
liv_rong

Re: Dual monitors - screens, not speakers

Post by liv_rong »

That is nice, so nice I tried the same thing with a 32" we have and arent using for anything. The problem is there isnt enough space on my desk. I have to make or buy some stands for my monitors so I have room to get the bigger lcd on my desk.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah I think I might just rather have one giant screen than two smaller screens.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

liv_rong,
The TV is sitting on the window ledge - it's base is 1cm too big for the stand in front of it - bottom!
I will have to sort something out for it to be super stable.
Greg,
It is much better than the pair - I'm happy with it & it makes automation editing a breeze.
Cheers
rayc
Bobbsy

Post by Bobbsy »

miroslav wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:00 pm
Bobbsy wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:03 am My memory of editing with Avid involved 3 monitors...2 showing data from the computer plus another Grade 1 or Grade 2 video monitor showing your pictures as edited.
It was back in '96-'98...and I think there were different system configurations...I don't remember 3 monitors...but....??? :P
I was also up at Burlington, MA at the Avid HQ for training sometime in '97....it's all a blur to me now. The thing I remember most was that they had a fantastic cafeteria with some of the best gourmet food selections...not the usual fast-food shit. :tongue:
This was in London in the 1999-2001 era. As I said, it was 2 computer monitors and a quality video monitor which permanently showed the programme pictures. I suppose the third monitor was optional but I don't recall any London AVID suites that didn't work that way.

The UK office for Avid was (at least then) inside Pinewood Studios--actually pretty grotty and no canteen at all--I guess they used the central Pinewood canteen or something. The only good memory I have is one morning when I drove out for a meeting. When I got to the Pinewood gates there were a couple of cars ahead of me messing around swapping child seats from one to the other. I was late and impatient so honked my horn...only to have Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman look up and wave in apology. (I assume they were shooting Eyes Wide Shut from the dates)
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I like running tracks on one and mixer on the other. I have a laptop I put on a stand next to separate monitor and run the HDMI out of the laptop.

**** Bboot, I also run Cubase.
rayc

Post by rayc »

musicturtle wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:10 pm I like running tracks on one and mixer on the other. I have a laptop I put on a stand next to separate monitor and run the HDMI out of the laptop.

**** Bboot, I also run Cubase.
Welcome MT,
Any photo of your set up to illuminate your description?
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

seems similar to my analog process where I have one mixer for tracking and another for mixing ..... saves the PIA of having to change them to go from one to the other
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

[/quote]
Welcome MT,
Any photo of your set up to illuminate your description?
[/quote]

Here ya go. Camera on my phone is not great, but you can get the idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

musicturtle,
Do I spy a Yamaha FX500?
I love that machine. My wife bought me one when they were 1st available in Oz - late 80s I think. I still have it as well as a later model FX900 that was a stereo input but other than that isn't a great advance on the 500.
Here's my latest recording using the 500.
Swamp Thing/Not So Long Ago
Ha, I have that Focusrite interface as well.
I ran two monitors for a while but they weren't the same size so bugged me. I now use a retired large screen TV.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc,
Yep, that is a FX500. I bought it in '91 I think. I love it. I used it for electric guitar live for a long time. Then for overall reverb on when I started doing acoustic gigs. I have had to prop something against the output jack for years now to keep a connection. But it still works great otherwise. I just got the 2nd gen 2i2 focusrite. I really like it as well.

I like your tune, guitar sound is good.

Here is a link to the last song I used the FX 500 on. It's just for the lead on the intro and interlude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr03IFXdzBw

I like the separate monitor, I did use a large tv for a while but I like this set up for the time being.
rayc

Post by rayc »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:37 pm Here is a link to the last song I used the FX 500 on. It's just for the lead on the intro and interlude.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr03IFXdzBw
Cool song - yeah, I can hear FX500 reverb on the guitar.
I used the "Soft Focus" preset tweaked a little on 2 guitar parts of my track then OD some stuff using a Pignose.
The FX is popular again - seems the Shoe Gaze drenched guitar sound is trendy & there are a few things on the 500 to help achieve that.
Not very pleasant distortions though.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
rayc