Bus powered AI versus own power supply

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
Armistice

Bus powered AI versus own power supply

Post by Armistice »

I was responding to a guy in a Guitar / Amp FB group who'd posted a question about what he needed to start recording some demos - basically I told him to join a forum, not ask random guitarists on faceplant - there were a lot of people going "Focusrite 2i2 and Reaper... totly awesome dude, you should get them..." and similar shit.

I found myself in a side discussion with someone about bus powered v. wall powered AIs - mainly because I've always thought that the Focusrite 2i2 and similar entry level interfaces were simply too restrictive and were bus powered to boot - and that generally I'd say something like the 6i6 was more viable over the long term, and then I looked it up and realised that that was bus powered too, so I decided to shut the fuck up as I clearly was just arguing for the sake of it, and didn't actually know what I was talking about.

I have no actual experience with bus powered interfaces as I have an RME Fireface UCX which is mains powered. I then read up a bit on the topic, but it's hard to sort out the opinions from randoms on various forums, from actual useful knowledge.

Anyone got any particular for / against comments they want to enlighten me with? :?
JD01

Re: Bus powered AI versus own power supply

Post by JD01 »

I have a Focusrite 2i2 and Reaper. Its what the cool kids use. Get with it, Grandad.

Seriously though, for a home recordist who is working alone; unless you're recording live drums, I can't think of many reasons for needing more than 2 inputs. Actually, I can't think of any.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 am I have a Focusrite 2i2 and Reaper. Its what the cool kids use. Get with it, Grandad.

Seriously though, for a home recordist who is working alone; unless you're recording live drums, I can't think of many reasons for needing more than 2 inputs. Actually, I can't think of any.
It's more the bus power than the number of inputs I'm interested in. I only have two, plus some line ins on the back which I've never used.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:07 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:58 am I have a Focusrite 2i2 and Reaper. Its what the cool kids use. Get with it, Grandad.

It's more the bus power than the number of inputs I'm interested in. I only have two, plus some line ins on the back which I've never used.
Ah, I've only ever had USB powered interfaces (Line6 UX2 and a 2i2) so can't really compare. I've never had a problem with them though. What benefits would a mains powered interface give you in a standard home recording situation.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Two mics on a cab and a room mic.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:53 am

Two mics on a cab and a room mic.
I use two close mics on an amp pretty much all the time now, but I've never considered a room mic - I think I just don't have a room worth miking!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 am
I use two close mics on an amp pretty much all the time now, but I've never considered a room mic - I think I just don't have a room worth miking!
That's good self-awareness because a bad room is not worth miking. A lot of people don't realize that. They use room mics because they think they're supposed to.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:02 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:54 am
That's good self-awareness because a bad room is not worth miking. A lot of people don't realize that. They use room mics because they think they're supposed to.
Maybe I should have qualified my original statement - I can't think of a reason to use more than two mics if you don't have a dedicated recording room which you've got time and money to invest in.

Suppose that highlights two types of home recordists:
1. People who are just trying to do the best they can in a normal home environment.
2. People who are actually building dedicated studio space at home.

I'm definitely #1
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I would use room mics if I had a room worth miking. Do you remember my front entry way room test? To me it sounds good and I've recorded out there many times, but it's mostly a hassle. My reverb impulse files are so good that I'd rather just use them.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:18 am I would use room mics if I had a room worth miking. Do you remember my front entry way room test? To me it sounds good and I've recorded out there many times, but it's mostly a hassle. My reverb impulse files are so good that I'd rather just use them.
Yeah, that was cool. And it did confirm that there's no point in me trying it. I'm happy with my impulses.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I used to use a two-input Presonus unit that was bus-powered and it worked fine. Bus-powered has the benefit that there are fewer cables/power cords to deal with, especially if you like to be a bit mobile. You can't get away from the fact that more current=more better if any processing, A/D converting and suchlike is being carried on in the unit. I wanted to move on to recording drums so I now use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. That's a mains-powered unit and I think it needs it, with 8 preamps, LED metering, phantom power on four inputs and two fuck-off loud headphone outputs for monitoring. I don't see why a modest 2 channel AI would be at a disadvantage power-wise. :minernuggs:
Haggard Musician :mad:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

My old Behringer tiny interface was Bus powered and it worked well for the time I had it - no technical issues that I recall.
I've been using my (now called) IO42 fro years and I use 1 input out of 4 - although I sometimes use 1 for mic and 2 for guitar as they have separate gain knobs so it's convenient to set them and leave them (but I still record each separately). I do remember having noise issues with my laptop if it was plugged in and the fix was to record (as fast as possible) using battery power. That was a long time back though.

My thought is "if it works it's good"
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 am

Suppose that highlights two types of home recordists:
1. People who are just trying to do the best they can in a normal home environment.
2. People who are actually building dedicated studio space at home.

I'm definitely #1
Im kind of in between I guess.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Good thread topic, I'll be following this as it progresses because I've been wanting to upgrade to an interface that's capable of recording real drums...This will probably be a little down the road, but the interface would be the first thing on that list...

I love the interface I have now (Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6), & it's been rock solid for years now, but it doesn't have enough inputs (6: 2-mic pre's/guitar, 2 line inputs, & 2 spdif inputs) for recording a drum kit...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have a Foc. 2i2 and I don't like it much. USB powered and required W10. I have it in front of me on the dining room/internet computer in case I need to so something quickly. Downstairs I have a 1st gen Scarlett 6i but that's slightly dubious as the INs are the 2 balanced/unbalanced & preamped on the front, a pair of jack ins on the back & the SPDIF stereo on the back. It works for me though as I've hooked up a couple of outboard pres to the back, ( I vary from a Presonus BlueTube pair to a Behringer Mic100 which is quite flexible). The 6i is powered by a transformer and is happy with XP as well. The software mixer is a nightmare but the Red suit of VSTs (that come with the 2nd gen gear) are good value.
On an entirely different level - I found I'd leave stuff on once I'd turned my computer off so I bought and plugged into a slave power board. The interface for example, only shuts down when switched off at the wall. When I shut down the computer the board senses that & slowly shuts down the power to the monitors, Interface, monitors etc.
It's a good thing.
Cheers
rayc