Those with amplitube...

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Those with amplitube...

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am at a cross roads now. for the last however may years now i have been using a PodX3 as my primary in and out for instruments. My latest set up had it so i can monitor what i am recording in real time with a suitable amp sim (left channel) and i would send a dry signal to reaper via the right channel for treatment with amplitube or poulin sims after the fact. A dumb Canadians way of re-amping. I would typically have both the right and left channel armed to record but the line 6 tones jst have a bit of a blanket over them. rarely get used.

however, it seems my Line 6 is now getting very cranky in it's old age and is giving me grief but also giving my computer grief as it seems to be screwing around with some other system stuff.

how are other amplitube users making the most out of it? how do you have it set up? What is your work flow for using the sims?

I really do not want do not want to fuss around with latency and playback timing and all that crap. I like the set up i had before. I just am not sure how to go about doing it now with out the line 6. I will always track with a live amp first for sure when opportunity allows it, sadly i am back to sitting down here mostly in the evenings so i'll be demoing with sims all the time it seems.

Any guidance here is appreciated.

I should mention i do have a second audio device and it is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
:happytrees:
rammer24

Re: Those with amplitube...

Post by rammer24 »

I'm probably not a good one to give "advice" on anything guitar or sim related. Hopefully Minerman sees this thread. I'll just speak from my limited knowledge and keep in mind I'm mainly a drummer.

I love Amplitube 3. Like most of us, I'd rather have a real amp (which I do, but it sucks and that's a different conversation), but Amplitube, along with a selection of Greg's speaker/mic sim combos is awesome for me. My workflow is pretty simple.I use very little virtual pedals, just the occasional compressor and/or their version of an SD-1 before the amp, and it sounds pretty damn good.Before I started using Greg's speaker sims, I'd just select "Match" and use whatever speaker matches the amp I selected. I also use an (virtual) Sm-57 99% of the time, though they do have a selection of (virtual) dynamic and condensor mics.

I can't compare it with Guitar Rig or anything else because it's the only sim I've ever really used. But I do like it a lot.

As far as how I record, I never "Print" the Amplitube guitar track. In other words, I always have my raw signal recorded. So, I can one day re-amp all the tracks if I want to, or just have the flexibility of changing sounds in the future. I use it the way a keyboard player would use MIDI. I consider my raw guitar guitar the "MIDI" file and I can go through patches while it's playing and choose the sound I want, and be able to change patches in the future if I want to.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 am (which I do, but it sucks and that's a different conversation)
You and i are on the same page rammer.
rammer24 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:16 am As far as how I record, I never "Print" the Amplitube guitar track. In other words, I always have my raw signal recorded.
ok, so my question at this point is this, how do you capture the sound? Do you just plug your guitar right into your interface and play along with no kind of sound coming back at you in terms of your guitar? Do you have something set up to monitor the guitar track it in real time? or do you just rely on your confidence and stuff. LOL!

I am 100% understanding and in agreement that just having a raw naked dry guitar track is the way to go. Whether you are going to treat it with amplitude or send it out to a guitar amp later through actual reamping it's just a brilliant way of handling a few guitar tracks.

Thats mostly what i was aksing really how you have it set up to use sims? if that doesn't make sense just tell me. My feeling won't get hurt.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You need an interface that will allow latency-free direct monitoring.

Plug the guitar into the interface, arm a track, pull up your sim, turn on direct monitoring, play/record your track. Your track will record just raw direct guitar signal, but you'll actually hear the sim's tone.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 pm You need an interface that will allow latency-free direct monitoring.

Plug the guitar into the interface, arm a track, pull up your sim, turn on direct monitoring, play/record your track. Your track will record just raw direct guitar signal, but you'll actually hear the sim's tone.
I think my little scarlett will do direct monitoring? I think. Hmmm I should try to find a few videos of how to set that up. that sounds like exactly what i want to do. I can't see it chewing up too much cpu? would it?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I myself don't use monitoring from my interface. There's no way I'd be able to record drums with that lack of volume. I run my interface out to a regular home stereo receiver and plug my headphones into that. That's how I record everything.

As far as how I record my tracks, I always have my one track that I name "RECORD" that I use for one-track sources like bass, guitar and vocals. I find the guitar sound I think I want and put it on that track. So, then I record guitar while hearing Amplitube. Since I only print the raw signal, I'm not stuck with the guitar sound I used while recording, even though I try to get as close to the sound that I think I'll stick with as possible.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I think my little scarlett will do direct monitoring? I think. Hmmm I should try to find a few videos of how to set that up. that sounds like exactly what i want to do. I can't see it chewing up too much cpu? would it?
It only hogs up CPU when you've got 3 or 4 or more instances of amp sim running at a time.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, the only thing that ever might slow down my computer is Amplitube. But I have to have about 3 or 4 songs open with 4 or 5 instances of the sim for that to happen.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I just saw this thread, sorry dudes, I've been a hermit for the last few months...

Shan your Focusrite interface should do fine man, I've read about their pre-amps being pretty hot & clipping (their guitar di clipped going into the interface), but I think most of that was guys using hot, high-output active p'ups...

I'm still using my amp when I can, but most of the time, I'm using ampsims, & mainly AT4...I had a Line 6 X3Live, & it was ok when I first got it, but the software that's out now is a lot better, IMO of course...

I never "print" my tracks, ever, I just arm 'em for recording, hit the "monitor" button in Reaper so I hear what the ampsim is doing & hit record...I keep my dry di tracks in case I get the chance to re-amp later...Even when I'm tracking using my amp, I still record a dry di at the same time dude, & any effects added in the daw aren't "printed" either...

How you're able to re-amp will depend on your interface...I hit it lucky when I bought mine (Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6) a few years ago...I was still using ampsims & hadn't even thought of using a real amp...My interface has the usual monitor outs (L & R), but it also has a couple extra hardware outputs (which are basically line out), & I use one of 'em to send my di signal to my re-amp box, which obviously goes to the amp...

With your interface, I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can use one of your monitor outputs to go to the re-amp box...It'd be some trial/error until you figured it out, but I'm pretty sure it'd work...

Back to the topic, I basically just record my guitars straight into the interface dude, using Reaper's built-in monitoring thing...I will say AT4 is a CPU hog though, it doesn't affect my computer now, but the old AMD I had wasn't as good as what I have now (i7, 16GB RAM), but you can freeze your tracks if your computer has a hard time dude, lots of ways to get there...

Lemme know if I can help any of you in any way with all this... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Whoops.
Last edited by rayc on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 pm I think my little scarlett will do direct monitoring? I think. Hmmm I should try to find a few videos of how to set that up. that sounds like exactly what i want to do. I can't see it chewing up too much cpu? would it?
The Scarlett, if you use the Mix Control software that comes with it, allows NO latency monitoring for recording. It's an option you click on the routing section of the mix Control software.
I have the same one which I don't use because it requires W7 + & I'm still recording in XP. I have a Scarlett 8/6 that has the same set up and internal routing options. Once I set it up I've had NO latency issues - so long as I remeber to select the option & plug in the headphones (as I use amp/mic) but you could monitor with your monitors.
The volume is fine (not drumming fine I'm sure) but I have a headphone amp I slave to it IF I need more volume or more distance (2 cable lengths instead of 1).
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok now we are getting places, i am back at work right now but i will read through all this as it seems like it is where i want to be going.

BRB.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:42 pm You need an interface that will allow latency-free direct monitoring.

Greg, when you say pull up your sim here do you mean pull it up in the track in the daw? or like stand alone in addition to the daw?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

It probably doesn't matter as long as you hear it. But I put it on the track.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Greg, when you say pull up your sim here do you mean pull it up in the track in the daw? or like stand alone in addition to the daw?
Put it on your track as an insert. Not standalone.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, I never thought of putting it as a standalone, but when he mentioned it, I thought "I guess that can work, too". But I don't think it would now that I think of it again. I got to either stop or keep thinking. I think.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok so next problem iam facing now swtiching to this kind of set up is how much signal tone am i going to lose doing things this way?

My focusrite has two input setting with the 1/4 inch jack. I have a line level and an instrument level. Based on what i have seen here this afternoon the line selector may have a bit of a pad on it? And the instrument selector is pretty hot. Even with my preamp turned as low as it will go i am clipping.

I have more control over the signal if i leave it set to line level and adjust the preamp as needed. But am i sacrificing any meat and potatoes of the signal doing it this way?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 pm Yeah, I never thought of putting it as a standalone, but when he mentioned it, I thought "I guess that can work, too". But I don't think it would now that I think of it again. I got to either stop or keep thinking. I think.
LOL!!

No the reason i asked about standalone is that AT4 is being a total prick and not playing nicely with my 2i2 in standalone. And if that was what greg meant i was going to pack up all this shit laying down here and sell becasue i am going bonkers trying to get shit set up this way.

I hate to say this but i think Line6 Spoiled me with the PodX3 in terms of workflow with a sim. I am really really bummed out that it shit the bed. :|
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

no wait... i think i got it figured out ... had to go into the asio settings and drop the latency way back. Seems to be a bit more respectable now in terms of this "direct monitoring"

If i set the audio device to direct monitoring = on i get the play back of amplitube AND the raw signal being passed thru the device mixed together.

Imagine that noise now for a moment if you will. mega latency amplitube with a flubby untreated guitar signal ahead of it. Fuck.

time for a beer.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm pretty sure he means using the plugin in the daw dude...My interface has direct monitoring, but I never use it, I use the monitoring in Reaper, & I'm pretty sure that's what Greg's talking about...

Just create a track in Reaper (CTRL+T, or double-click in the empty mixer space), add your ampsim using the FX button, arm the track (hit the "R" button for that track), then turn the monitoring on for that track...

Using Reaper's monitoring will allow you to hear the ampsim, turn the direct monitoring on your interface off & you shouldn't hear the di sound...

If you have latency, turn it down in the ASIO control panel, upper right corner...Turn it down as far as it will go that your computer will handle...
Last edited by Minerman on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: