Those with amplitube...

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
Greg_L

Re: Those with amplitube...

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:32 pm Ok so next problem iam facing now swtiching to this kind of set up is how much signal tone am i going to lose doing things this way?

My focusrite has two input setting with the 1/4 inch jack. I have a line level and an instrument level. Based on what i have seen here this afternoon the line selector may have a bit of a pad on it? And the instrument selector is pretty hot. Even with my preamp turned as low as it will go i am clipping.

I have more control over the signal if i leave it set to line level and adjust the preamp as needed. But am i sacrificing any meat and potatoes of the signal doing it this way?
Your focusrite is notorious for being a cunt with direct inputs.

If you're clipping at instrument level, then just use line level. Ideally you'd bring into the DAW exactly whatever the pickup puts out, but your situation is not ideal. Most sims are designed sort of like a real amp in that they'll react to the hotness of the signal coming in. Push a sim harder, and it'll overdrive harder like a real amp - in most cases. You can also tailor the input gain going into the sim, so it really doesn't matter. Just don't clip going into the interface and you'll be fine. You can tweak the signal hotter or lower later before it hits the actual sim amp head.

I don't know what kind of pickups you're using, but I think if you set your interface gain to peak the meters at like -6 or so in the DAW with a good hard strum, you'll be in good shape.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 pm no wait... i think i got it figured out ... had to go into the asio settings and drop the latency way back. Seems to be a bit more respectable now in terms of this "direct monitoring"

If i set the audio device to direct monitoring = on i get the play back of amplitube AND the raw signal being passed thru the device mixed together.

Imagine that noise now for a moment if you will. mega latency amplitube with a flubby untreated guitar signal ahead of it. Fuck.

time for a beer.
You need to trim back the mix in the interface, if you can. You're getting true direct monitoring, in addition to the DAW's FX-added direct monitoring.

You want the DAW's direct monitoring only. And you will have to run low latency for it to not sound delayed.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:24 pm

Greg, when you say pull up your sim here do you mean pull it up in the track in the daw? or like stand alone in addition to the daw?
I'm pretty sure he means using the plugin in the daw dude...My interface has direct monitoring, but I never use it, I use the monitoring in Reaper, & I'm pretty sure that's what Greg's talking about...

Just create a track in Reaper (CTRL+T, or double-click in the empty mixer space), add your ampsim using the FX button, arm the track (hit the "R" button for that track), then turn the monitoring on for that track...

Using Reaper's monitoring will allow you to hear the ampsim, turn the direct monitoring on your interface off & you shouldn't hear the di sound...

If you have latency, turn it down in the ASIO control panel, upper right corner...Turn it down as far as it will go that your computer will handle...
Thanks Minernuggs this is essentially what i have set up now, so here is hoping i am as happy with the workflow like this as i was with the Line6. So far so good.

Also dude, have you seen the onboard Amplitube 4 "Save As" settings. Man they really let you fine tune the details right down to what picks (in general) you were using. Kind of cool!!! I just discovered that little tidbit.

regardless thanks for the help, I really appreciate that.
Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:53 pmthen just use line level. ......but I think if you set your interface gain to peak the meters at like -6 or so in the DAW with a good hard strum, you'll be in good shape.
This is exactly the approach i am taking with it. the yway i play all sloppy and gimpy like it really wasn't a pleasurable experience on the instrument setting.
Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:55 pm You need to trim back the mix in the interface, if you can. You're getting true direct monitoring, in addition to the DAW's FX-added direct monitoring.

You want the DAW's direct monitoring only. And you will have to run low latency for it to not sound delayed.
Direct monitoring on the Focusrite hardware is staying in the off position. it's gross otherwise.

So far this set up will work pretty good. now that i have a feel for it. I need to give it a try in an existing track with some shit going on in it to see if my comp can handle it. Been guinea pigging it in an empty project.

Thanks so much for your help gang! i'd be lost with out yez!! :happytrees: :happytrees: :like: :like: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :sherlock:
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

If you need any more help Shan, just gimme a holler dude...I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but between the both of us we should be able to get things rolling....
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
paulman

Post by paulman »

Ok, this is the perfect thread for me right now. I had problems getting Amplitube to sound good, but I must have been doing something wrong (I'm thinking not paying enough attention to the input on the interface is a likely culprit) if you guys use it. I had gone back to my Line 6, but tomorrow I'll take another look at Amplitube.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

paulman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 am Ok, this is the perfect thread for me right now. I had problems getting Amplitube to sound good, but I must have been doing something wrong (I'm thinking not paying enough attention to the input on the interface is a likely culprit) if you guys use it. I had gone back to my Line 6, but tomorrow I'll take another look at Amplitube.
You need to take a look at "The Tone Thread" in the guitar/bass section of the forum...That thread is a continuation that started in another forum like 4-5 years ago, with over 1,300 pages & an unreal amount of info about recording guitar...That particular thread is one of the reasons this forum even exists...

We don't worry about the performance, the mix or whatever there, it's all about getting the guitar tone you're after...Check it out dude... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

paulman

Post by paulman »

Minerman wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:20 am
paulman wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 am You need to take a look at "The Tone Thread" in the guitar/bass section of the forum...That thread is a continuation that started in another forum like 4-5 years ago, with over 1,300 pages & an unreal amount of info about recording guitar...That particular thread is one of the reasons this forum even exists...

We don't worry about the performance, the mix or whatever there, it's all about getting the guitar tone you're after...Check it out dude... :minernuggs:
Thanks, I will!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:09 pm If you need any more help Shan, just gimme a holler dude...I'm not the sharpest blade in the drawer, but between the both of us we should be able to get things rolling....
I will!

I think you told me to try a different USB port. :sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock:

But i can't find that post now, but that is the only course of action i didn't take. And in hindsight when i read that yesterday i was like why the fuck didn't i try that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyways, i'll try it but i am not going to loose sleep over it. I got amplitube sort of humming along enough that i can make do with it this way.

I also Downloaded the 3day trials of the Hiwatt sim and the Soldano sims and wow. holy wow. I am really really impressed with those two sims. I have a few IK credits that i may spring for both. the soldano one is 35 USD though. I feel it is sort of worth it. Both of those sims sat really nicely in a mix with my real AD30 tracks. I liked the balance.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Get the Poulin Hybrit. With a cab impulse, that thing is bad ass.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:47 pm Get the Poulin Hybrit. With a cab impulse, that thing is bad ass.
I got it actually. I have used it a little bit. I haven't recorded anything concrete with it but i can 100% back up that statement as factual. It sort of my ideal situation. The hybrit is minimal and using those speaker impulses takes out the OCD tweaking of cab+speaker+mic+mic placement+room and all that other nit picky stuff amplitube provides. It's cool you can do that with amplitube and i guess you pay for those freedoms over your tone, but if you just want quick dirty decent amp tone i'd send anyone to the Poulin sims with a good speaker impulse. :like: :like: :like: :happytrees: :sherlock:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If I didn't have this obscene array of Marshalls, I'd use the shit out of the Hybrit and cab impulses all day long.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 pm If I didn't have this obscene array of Marshalls, I'd use the shit out of the Hybrit and cab impulses all day long.
LOL. You have 0 need for amp sims. Your quiver is fully stocked for rock.

My biggest gripe with any sim, good or bad. The sustain and signal cycle just isn't there. sims have come along way that i hear some buddys songs or records now and i can't tell that they aren't using big rigs. I can only hear it become apparent when those tracks of loud guitars just stop being loud over driven driven guitars.

I am not sure i am commmunicating that the way my head wants to or if any of you will know what i mean but like, it sounds like a big nasty guitar but then at the end the trail off sounds just a bit not inline with the rest of the tone. :confused:

In the grand scheme of things that is small potatoes though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:10 am

I do use them in demo phase though. I'll write and scratch track demo a song with sims and drum samples. Then when I'm satisfied with the ideas and arrangement, I activate the rock.
My biggest gripe with any sim, good or bad. The sustain and signal cycle just isn't there. sims have come along way that i hear some buddys songs or records now and i can't tell that they aren't using big rigs. I can only hear it become apparent when those tracks of loud guitars just stop being loud over driven driven guitars.

I am not sure i am commmunicating that the way my head wants to or if any of you will know what i mean but like, it sounds like a big nasty guitar but then at the end the trail off sounds just a bit not inline with the rest of the tone. :confused:

I think it's just feedback and harmonic content you get with real amps/speakers. The sustain of a note or chord, even if it doesn't go into feedback, has this bloom and blossom of overtones that you just don't get with sims. You bang a chord or a note, and instead of just dying out, it actually gets louder and thicker for brief moment then it fades away in this rich blob of sound.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 pm I think you told me to try a different USB port. :sherlock: :sherlock: :sherlock:

But i can't find that post now, but that is the only course of action i didn't take. And in hindsight when i read that yesterday i was like why the fuck didn't i try that? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Anyways, i'll try it but i am not going to loose sleep over it. I got amplitube sort of humming along enough that i can make do with it this way.

I'm not sure what happened to the post you're referring to, but just try every usb slot you have & make sure you're using a good usb cable...

If you still don't have any luck, make sure you have the newest driver for your interface, & maybe un-install, then re-install it...

Not sure what OS you're using, but I've read about some usb devices not playing well with certain operating systems...I've read about this with Windows 8 more than Windows 10, but I have no experience with either...I'm on Windows 7 & will not change my OS until I'm forced to do so...
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 pmI also Downloaded the 3day trials of the Hiwatt sim and the Soldano sims and wow. holy wow. I am really really impressed with those two sims. I have a few IK credits that i may spring for both. the soldano one is 35 USD though. I feel it is sort of worth it. Both of those sims sat really nicely in a mix with my real AD30 tracks. I liked the balance.
Do you have Amplitube 4 Shan??? The reason I'm asking is because I personally think the new cab modeling in AT4 is very good...What makes it so good IMO is the ability to swap/change the speakers in the cabs...External impulses are good too, but to me the new cabs are what makes AT4 a little better than AT3, & it just makes things easier by having everything in one plugin...

I agree both the Hiwatt & the Soldano sims are good dude, along with the Orange models, but if you already have some of the Orange stuff, I recommend the Marshall sims in AT4...They're pretty good IMO, & using a Marshall on one side/guitar with an Orange on the opposite side/guitar would sound good because of the different character each has...

I have a shit-load of impulses if you want any of 'em dude, just gimme a holler & I'll send 'em... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:29 pm If I didn't have this obscene array of Marshalls, I'd use the shit out of the Hybrit and cab impulses all day long.

What you are talking about is the interaction between the guitar and amp which gives you the feedback and sustain. What you can do is split your guitar signal and run 1 to the interface and the other to a real amp. Just add a fair amount of gain to the amp and run it at low volume. As long as you are in close proximity to the amp you will get the feedback and sustain that you are looking for. Since the the signal is being fed back through the guitar the sustain will translate through your amp sim as well. Or... you can plug into your amp and split the signal at the FX out {if your amp has an FX loop}. This way you can record the preamp signal and add a power amp sim and cab sim to the track. The signal that you run back into the FX return can be attenuated by running it into an effect pedal/rack fX that has a level control if necessary.
Although these methods are not completely silent, you can still achieve the guitar/amp interaction at a reasonable volume.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ocnor wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am

What you are talking about is the interaction between the guitar and amp which gives you the feedback and sustain. What you can do is split your guitar signal and run 1 to the interface and the other to a real amp. Just add a fair amount of gain to the amp and run it at low volume. As long as you are in close proximity to the amp you will get the feedback and sustain that you are looking for. Since the the signal is being fed back through the guitar the sustain will translate through your amp sim as well. Or... you can plug into your amp and split the signal at the FX out {if your amp has an FX loop}. This way you can record the preamp signal and add a power amp sim and cab sim to the track. The signal that you run back into the FX return can be attenuated by running it into an effect pedal/rack fX that has a level control if necessary.
Although these methods are not completely silent, you can still achieve the guitar/amp interaction at a reasonable volume.
That is a pretty interesting set up that would be worth trying. the second option sort sounds doable as i have no real way to split the signal otherwise. My only concern with the second option is maybe blowing up my interface? Have you ever tried that method ?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:29 pm That is a pretty interesting set up that would be worth trying. the second option sort sounds doable as i have no real way to split the signal otherwise. My only concern with the second option is maybe blowing up my interface? Have you ever tried that method ?
Get yourself a re-amp box dude, record your di/ampsim, sending the dry di to an amp with the gain wound up, but just enough volume to feedback (like on sustained power chords for example)...The feedback will be recorded in the di, & will come through your ampsim...

feedback di.mp3

Download this mp3,throw it into a project/song, & put an ampsim on it...It'll feedback even with a really low amount of gain, which in turn, could sound like an amp cranked up really loud...

I recorded this with my LP straight into my interface, while using the re-amp box to go to a little 5w combo amp I had sitting on the desk beside me...It wasn't loud at all & the feedback is recorded into the di...

You could also use just the feedback part of the di in other parts of the song/different songs/different keys by changing the pitch/tuning (IE: from "E" to "G"), & being clever with your edits/crossfades...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

ocnor

Post by ocnor »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:29 pm
ocnor wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:12 am

What you are talking about is the interaction between the guitar and amp which gives you the feedback and sustain. What you can do is split your guitar signal and run 1 to the interface and the other to a real amp. Just add a fair amount of gain to the amp and run it at low volume. As long as you are in close proximity to the amp you will get the feedback and sustain that you are looking for. Since the the signal is being fed back through the guitar the sustain will translate through your amp sim as well. Or... you can plug into your amp and split the signal at the FX out {if your amp has an FX loop}. This way you can record the preamp signal and add a power amp sim, and cab sim to the track. The signal that you run back into the FX return can be attenuated by running it into an effect pedal/rack fX that has a level control if necessary.
That is a pretty interesting set up that would be worth trying. the second option sort sounds doable as i have no real way to split the signal otherwise. My only concern with the second option is maybe blowing up my interface? Have you ever tried that method ?
Yes I've tried both of these methods. The signal from your amp's preamp is line level the same as any other preamp/distortion box, or multi-FX like a POD..etc.. You will not harm your interface. All you need to split the guitar signal is a pedal with stereo outputs like a chorus, flanger,or delay. Just make sure that the effect is off. [Duh]
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.