REAPER question....

This should be self explanatory.
rammer24

REAPER question....

Post by rammer24 »

OK, you can all start laughing at me now. I said earlier that I know as much about REAPER as someone else, and now I have a question. OK, laugh it up, sonny boys. :D

But, how do you record something off your computer? Let's say I'm listening/watching something on Youtube, for example, and I want to record the audio into a track of REAPER, how would I do that? What I do now is download the Yutube video, or just the audio (I have a program that allows me to download anything from Youtube), and then bring that into a track of REAPER.

Is there not a way to record what I hear directly into REAPER.

Thanx fuckers and fuckettes.

(To be fair, this isn't really a REAPER question, so shut up) :D
Greg_L

Re: REAPER question....

Post by Greg_L »

I'm sure there has to be a better way than what I'm about to describe, but this is how I do it: I run my monitor cables back into the front of my interface, arm a stereo track, even out the preamps, and record the youtube audio into Reaper. It works. Sometimes I'll need or want to do a cover song and not have the original- like with my goofy family Christmas songs. I don't have a fucking copy of "We Are Santa's Elves" laying around, so I swipe it off youtube through my monitor cables into Reaper.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx man.

Wow! No, I have much easier way for now, but I was hoping there was an even eaiser way. I do the same thing with covers. Put it in a channel in case I have to refer to it.

If you use Firefox, get this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefo ... ow/?src=ss

It gives you the choice of downloading just video, just audio, or both, all in different formats and qualities.

I was hoping there was a way to not have to download and then insert into a channel.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. I use Chrome. Maybe there's an extension to do that.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I'm sure there is. I bet if you Googled "Youtube Dowloader" you'd get a shit ton.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I haven't watched the video or anything but i spyed this video when i was creeping on tadpui's youtube channel the other day. Your answer might lie in here somewhere.

I didn't watch it though. So if it is 11 mins of your life you won't get back don't blame me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52s-RaYKuM&t=60s
:happytrees:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

WhiskeyJack wrote:I haven't watched the video or anything but i spyed this video when i was creeping on tadpui's youtube channel the other day. Your answer might lie in here somewhere.

I didn't watch it though. So if it is 11 mins of your life you won't get back don't blame me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E52s-RaYKuM&t=60s
Thanx Whisk. It was almost what I wanted, but he's demonstrating how to make tutorials by recording from one project to another project. Good video for someone who wants to do that.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

The way that I do it is to use Audacity to record off the computer then load the track into reaper.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

ocnor wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 pm The way that I do it is to use Audacity to record off the computer then load the track into reaper.
Does Audacity have a feature that allows you to do that, that REAPER doesn't ?
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Didn't some old Windows version allow you to record "what you hear" - although the sound recorder results (if this is used) might be shit or worse, mono.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

ido1957 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:27 pm Didn't some old Windows version allow you to record "what you hear" - although the sound recorder results (if this is used) might be shit or worse, mono.
You could do that on Sound Recorder. You could change the quality to pretty much anything you liked.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:42 am
ocnor wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:08 pm The way that I do it is to use Audacity to record off the computer then load the track into reaper.
Does Audacity have a feature that allows you to do that, that REAPER doesn't ?
To me it just seemed easier with Audacity than jumping through hoops trying to figure it out in Reaper. I just followed these simple instructions and "voila".
In Audacity, choose the “Windows WASAPI” audio host and then an appropriate loopback device — for example, “Speakers (loopback)” or “Headphones (loopback).” Click the Record button to start recording the audio in Audacity, and click Stop when you're done.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

ocnor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:30 pm To me it just seemed easier with Audacity than jumping through hoops trying to figure it out in Reaper. I just followed these simple instructions and "voila".
In Audacity, choose the “Windows WASAPI” audio host and then an appropriate loopback device — for example, “Speakers (loopback)” or “Headphones (loopback).” Click the Record button to start recording the audio in Audacity, and click Stop when you're done.
Thanx man. I'll first check out REAPER's manual and see if they have a section on "Recording from your computer" or "Recording what you hear" or whatever.
rayc

Post by rayc »

"What you hear" was def a function under XP. I had a few audio progs (waverepair etc) that took advantage of it.
Cheers
rayc
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Untitled.png
OK, so REAPER does do it. But to be honest, it seems too complicated. I'll probably just keep downloading and then inserting, rather than go through what seems to be a lot of hoops just to occasionally record off the internet.

Here's a screen shot from REAPER's manual.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice to know though. It's a question I've had myself from time to time. Audacity used to do it - I'd record hidef streaming radio and then chop the songs up into individual MP3s. And then I upgraded ... :x